14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 1:41 AM by CharliePet

Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links

CharliePet

Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links when opening a document, when links have not been modified.. This happens a lot.

Any guidance gratefully received.

• 1. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll need to give a lot more details.

Where are the files stored, locally or on a server? What files are they? What file types? What OS are you running?

• 2. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
            CharliePet Level 1

Thanks Eugene.

The files are stored on a shared drive.

The images are mostly JPGs.

The images definately haven't been updated.

I am running Snow Leopard.

Apologies, I am a forum virgin!

• 3. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And is this drive backed up periodically, perhaps using time machine?

• 4. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                CharliePet Level 1

No, as far as I'm aware, time machine does not do this. We sometimes back this library up once a week...

• 5. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Can you grab screen shots of the file in the Link Info panel in InDesign, as well as in Get Info in the Finder? Do so after updating, and then wait until InDesign reports that they are wrongly out of date, then take the screenshots again. Upload all 4 to the forum.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                    CharliePet Level 1

Hi John, thanks for your helpful suggestion.

We've picked up on some small nuances in the last 24 hours. There are two of us here in the studio and the documents and links are saved on a shared drive.

• When I open the document on my machine and update all the links, then close it and then open it again – without my colleague opening it – it doesn't ask to update the links.

• However, if he opens it after I've opened it, it will ask to have it's links updated again. And if I open it after he has opened it, it again will ask to update the links.

*Idea* could it be that one of the machine's clock settings are incorrect. ie. my colleague's new laptop?

Screen grabs are attached below. The go in the order of before and after.

The plot thickens: I have also loaded this software on to an iMac out side of the office; not connected to the server, just running on its own. I have some images on an external hard drive. I have exactly the same problem if I unplug it and re-plug it. When I re-plug it doesn't just simply find the links, it says they have been updated.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Best regards.

before.pngbefore2.pngafter.pngafter2.png

• 7. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can bet your bottom dollar that the reason you are being asked to update has to do with the difference in creation dates being listed. Do you have multiple copies of this file? We can't, unfortunately, see the entire path in the link info shot as ID truncates.

I suspect, but John knows more about this stuff than I do, that you are correct about it being some sort of clock problem. Is everyone using the same time zone?

• 8. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Actually...John was kind of confused, and misread "stored a shared drive" as "NOT stored on a shared drive."

It could be clocks, I guess, but I wouldn't expect that if they're not modifying the file...

But check it (and timezones too, which also should not matter, everything should be stored in UTC/GMT), because it is so easy to check.

I guess Peter is referring to the discrepancy between creation time between Get Info and the Link Info Panel? Because I don't see any differences between the two Link Info Panels other than Modified/OK?

Waitasec...your before is Modified and your after is OK? I wanted a screenshot after you had updated the link, and then after you waited until InDesign wrongly thought it was out-of-date. If that was the case, i'd expect your before to be OK and your after to be Modified.....

But anyhow, the creation date discrepancy between Get Info and Link Info is odd. I can only hypothesize that Link Info is pulling that information from the XMP metadata [or something] rather than the file system, in which case it's odd but not a smoking gun?

Anyhow, if none of the above helps, you should look at the Get Info and Link Info windows on your colleague's laptop, and compare with the screenshots you've taken for discrepencies. Hopefully we'll find one?

The hunt is on!

• 9. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                          ch4rlie

I'm getting a similar if not the same issue.

Indesign CS5 with Triple Triangle workflow.

1- I have the Get Info open for the tiff file.

2-  I open the CS5 doc and I get an alert to "Don't Update Links" or Update Links."

3- I click on update, close and save.

4- Modification date on image has changed to the same time stamp as CS5 doc.

I've tried this over and over again and the results stay the same in a funky loop. Is InDesign changing the mod date on the tiff file everytime I save? Image is not being modified by any photo editors. I've tried from other computers and it si not duplicated. Just on my machine. Images and Documents are on shared servers. Any ideas?

Charlie

• 10. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links

I believe it was discovered in another thread that an update to Extensis Suitcase was causing this for some users.

• 11. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                              ch4rlie Level 1

I'm using Universal Tyoe Serve... What's the link or title to the other thread?

• 12. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links

No Idea. You can search, or just check with Extensis and see if they have a patch for you.

• 13. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

ch4rlie wrote:

Any ideas?

Try without Triple Triangle plugins.

• 14. Re: Indd CS5.5 keeps asking to update modified links
                                    CharliePet Level 1

Hi,

We managed to solve our problem. The two different machines were routed to the server differently, and therefore created different file paths. They are now routed using the same method and the problem is solved. We discovered this as in time, random links also started falling out. When we hovered over the link in the links palate, it showed, in two different image library drive names, dispite being the same drive.

I would recomend looking at how you are linked to your server.

Best,

Charlie P