4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 5:12 AM by BaronKarza

Open a Folder in Air 2.7

BaronKarza Level 1

Hello there,

When Air 2.0 was released, it was possibile to do something like this (c:\mydirectory\mysubdirectory has to be there obviously):

var file:File = new File("c:\\mydirectory\\mysubdirectory");

file.openWithDefaultApplication();

and the directory would be opened by using (for exampe) in windows the file explorer

In air 2.7 this code throws an error (that is a security error, in fact if I open a temp directory created with createTempDirectory it works)

"Illegal file path"

Now, please, tell me how can I harm the user by simply opening a directory on his hard disk!

How can I open a directory on his hard disk without getting this error?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Open a Folder in Air 2.7
          Peter Blazejewicz Level 4

Hi,

I think that "Illegal file path" is usually thrown when wrong path is submitted to File constructor - not when using that file/directory. Your method works for me e.g when using quick test:

var file:File = File.desktopDirectory;

You could try also below solution that uses shell integration with Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe):

var file:File = File.desktopDirectory;

var path:String = file.nativePath;

var processInfo:NativeProcessStartupInfo = new NativeProcessStartupInfo();

var arguments:Vector.<String> = new <String>[path];

processInfo.arguments = arguments;

processInfo.executable = new File("c:\\Windows\\Explorer.exe");

var process:NativeProcess = new NativeProcess();

process.start(processInfo);

(above version requires "desktopExtended" and native installer on deployment due to use NativeProcess)

How to use Explorer.exe, e.g.:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152457

hth,

kind regards,

Peter

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Open a Folder in Air 2.7
            BaronKarza Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for you reply.

Your example works because I think it's allowed to open the desktop directory

Just try another one, on you hard disk c: for example and you'll see that "illegal file path"

About the second solution, it's a nice one but I just wanted to stay more generic (however I think I will put an  "if you are on windows do this" ) and in the other case I will use a navigateToUrl...

Thanks

• 3. Re: Open a Folder in Air 2.7
              Peter Blazejewicz Level 4

Hi,

Just try another one, on you hard disk c: for example and you'll see that "illegal file path"

I'm able to do that just following your snippet "as is":

var file:File = new File("c:\\mydirectory\\mysubdirectory");

I could open "C:\mydirectory\mysubdirectory" (otherwise I would not answer with first post). Are you able to read that directory at all? (that is has your account enough privileges to read/write that directory?)

regards,

Peter

• 4. Re: Open a Folder in Air 2.7
                BaronKarza Level 1

Hi Peter,

After some time I discovered that when I switched to Air2.7 I forgot to copy the airglobal.swf to his proper location under "Common/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/AIR2.6/"

I do not know if it was this that created the problem or simply that that day (the day I wrote my previous message) I had flash in "guru meditation"...

However right now all works like it should.

Thanks again