5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2006 8:30 AM by Newsgroup_User

MPEG Video Choppy

yevri Level 1
      A client of mine had someone develop a Director piece that displays 3 mpegs using the Direct Media Xtra version 2.01. They are still using Director 8.5 on a WIndows XP system. The Direct Media Xtra maker, Tabuleiro, doesn't list XP as supported (just earlier versions of Windows) and has since discontinued Direct Media Xtra. The video was put on CD and mastered and works fine. But they need to update it. So I inherited this and made the simple changes. But when I created the projector and burned a CD, the video is very choppy now. If I run the video from the CD via window media player, it runs fine. It's just in Director that it runs choppy. I've read the tech notes on direct to stage, but can't find how to make it direct to stage with that plug-in - I'm assuming I cannot.

Also, on that Windows XP development machine, the video doesn't show up at all when viewing in Director or in window media player, but you can hear the audio playing. In Director, either in the Direct Media Xtra when editing the properties of the video sprite or when running the EXE, you can't see the video, but you can hear it and it is choppy. So I wonder if it's a video problem on that machine that doesn't allow Director to make a smooth video to play from a CD on other machines as well.

Any ideas on how I should try to resolve this? If we can't figure it out, I will just redo the program in Flash and be done with it.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: MPEG Video Choppy
          Level 7
          Hi,

Have you tried with the MPEG Advanced Xtra? I'd give it a go. Even unregistered, it
          shoudl work, just wil show a 'unregistered' popup at the start. that way you can
          see if the new Xtra helps and if its worth upgrading. If it still plays choppy, I'd
          recompile the MPEG. I've seen MPEGs where the vidoe looks fine outside of Director
          but there are internal formatting issues that show wjhen playing with the Xtra.

I've had great experience using TMPGEnc to compress my MPEGs. Have a look at:
          http://www.tmpgenc.net/
          It's a few program. I'd suggest you run through your MPEGs through TMPGEnc to see
          if it was the MPEGs causing the problems.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 2. Re: MPEG Video Choppy
            Level 7
            On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:10:32 GMT, yevri posted in
            macromedia.director.basics:

> A client of mine had someone develop a Director piece that displays 3
            > mpegs using the Direct Media Xtra version 2.01. They are still using
            > Director 8.5 on a WIndows XP system.The Direct Media Xtra maker,
            > Tabuleiro, doesn't list XP as supported (just earlier versions of
            > Windows) and has since discontinued Direct Media Xtra.

Hm. I'm using D8.5.1 (get that patch if you haven't!) with Direct Media
            Xtra 1.5 and MPEG-1 files play flawlessly in my projects. You might try
            tweaking the Cpuboost in the member properties.

I haven't tried using it with other MPEG formats, though. If you're using
            MPEG-2, you should probably get MPEG Advance.

> I've read the tech notes on direct to stage, but can't find how to make
            > it direct to stage with that plug-in - I'm assuming I cannot.

IIRC, Direct Media Xtra assets are always Direct to Stage.

> Also, on that Windows XP development machine, the video doesn't show up
            > at all when viewing in Director or in window media player, but you can
            > hear the audio playing. In Director, either in the Direct Media Xtra
            > when editing the properties of the video sprite or when running the
            > EXE, you can't see the video, but you can hear it and it is choppy. So
            > I wonder if it's a video problem on that machine that doesn't allow
            > Director to make a smooth video to play from a CD on other machines as
            > well.

It does sound as if something's wrong with that machine. However, I agree
            with Dean. You might try recompressing the videos before troubleshooting
            the machine - or try on other machines.

When I created MPEG-1 files, I also used TMPEG with the VCD (Video CD)
            preset.

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin' :)
            • 3. Re: MPEG Video Choppy
              Level 7
              On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:41:44 GMT, Mark A. Boyd posted in

> When I created MPEG-1 files, I also used TMPEG with the VCD (Video CD)
              > preset.

P.S. Some video drivers do not play well with MPEG-1 files that are sized
              oddly. The most acceptable sizes are 352x240 for NTSC and 352x??? for PAL. I
              did have problems with some clients when creating 640x480 or other sizes.

TMPEGenc's VCD preset uses the acceptable sizes.

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              • 4. Re: MPEG Video Choppy
                Level 7
                Thanks Mark for expanding on this. I just look at my message and thought, I
                really needed to proofread that before I pressed send:)

rregards
                Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/
                http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 5. Re: MPEG Video Choppy
                  Level 7
                  On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 05:52:54 GMT, Dean Utian posted in

> Thanks Mark for expanding on this. I just look at my message and thought, I
                  > really needed to proofread that before I pressed send:)

Yea, but we both assumed that the OP is creating new videos. S/he didn't
                  actually say that.

Yevrii, do you see this symptom with the old videos? And with the D8.5.1
                  patch?

Hindsight is clearer for me, too.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd