1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 6:21 AM by FrangipaniOz

Render Issue

FrangipaniOz

I'm pretty new to Premiere - so apologies if this is a stupid question - but I've finished a video, but when I render it [even when I select maximum render quality and maximum bit depth in sequence settings] the render downgrades the video and imported graphics to an unacceptable level.

It's most obvious on the imported graphics, that are in primary colours - that have been created to exactly the expected screen resolution....

When I go back and preview the library elements beside the rendered elements there is a huge different...

I just need it to render to the same quality that the elements appear at when they are imported...

The file is setup to the correct final resolution.

Please help!

thank you

• 1. Re: Render Issue
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Maximum bit depth is only beneficial if you import 10 bpc material, otherwise if makes no sense to use that, especially not if you don't have an AJA, BM or Matrox card to export.

What do you mean by primary colors? You can only use RGB images, not CMYK.

What are your export settings and how do you judge the final quality?

• 2. Re: Render Issue
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            Maximum bit depth is only beneficial if you import 10 bpc material, otherwise if makes no sense to use that, especially not if you don't have an AJA, BM or Matrox card to export.

*facepalm*

Harm, we've covered this territory before: Maximum Bit Depth is not just for use with 10-bit or greater source footage. It can be used with 8-bit material--DV, H.264, MPEG2, anything--to great benefit.

What Maximum Bit Depth (either in the Sequence Settings or in the Export Settings) does is enable Premiere Pro to render and composite in 32-bit floating point color. It has nothing (or at least, little) to do with the source footage, but controls how effects and transformations that shift pixels around are rendered. Any effect in the Effects panel that has a 32-bit badge on it will benefit from Maximum Bit Depth--the expense is greater memory requirements and processing time, but the payoff is a higher degree of color fidelity and precision in the rendered image. Gaussian Blur, for example, is a 32-bit effect that will show a great difference between when it is rendered with MBD on versus when it is off--even if you're rendering/exporting to an 8-bit format, like DV.

From Karl Soule's article on this topic, The Video Road – Understanding Color Processing: 8-bit, 10-bit, 32-bit, and more:

1. A DV file with a blur and a color corrector exported to DV without the max bit depth flag. We will import the 8-bit DV file, apply the blur to get an 8-bit frame, apply the color corrector to the 8-bit frame to get another 8-bit frame, then write DV at 8-bit.
            2. A DV file with a blur and a color corrector exported to DV with the max bit depth flag. We will import the 8-bit DV file, apply the blur to get an 32-bit frame, apply the color corrector to the 32-bit frame to get another 32-bit frame, then write DV at 8-bit. The color corrector working on the 32-bit blurred frame will be higher quality then the previous example.
            3. A DV file with a blur and a color corrector exported to DPX with the max bit depth flag. We will import the 8-bit DV file, apply the blur to get an 32-bit frame, apply the color corrector to the 32-bit frame to get another 32-bit frame, then write DPX at 10-bit. This will be still higher quality because the final output format supports greater precision.
            4. A DPX file with a blur and a color corrector exported to DPX without the max bit depth flag. We will clamp 10-bit DPX file to 8-bits, apply the blur to get an 8-bit frame, apply the color corrector to the 8-bit frame to get another 8-bit frame, then write 10-bit DPX from 8-bit data.
            5. A DPX file with a blur and a color corrector exported to DPX with the max bit depth flag. We will import the 10-bit DPX file, apply the blur to get an 32-bit frame, apply the color corrector to the 32-bit frame to get another 32-bit frame, then write DPX at 10-bit. This will retain full precision through the whole pipeline.
            6. A title with a gradient and a blur on a 8-bit monitor. This will display in 8-bit, may show banding.
            7. A title with a gradient and a blur on a 10-bit monitor (with hardware acceleration enabled.) This will render the blur in 32-bit, then display at 10-bit. The gradient should be smooth.

What Maximum Bit Depth does is allow Premiere Pro's rendering engine to have more room to run, with a higher degree of precision. It's important to remember that rendering internally is different than exporting--and even when you're "rendering" previews, you're actually exporting, because you're creating composited video files of one sort or another. That's why there is a Maximum Bit Depth checkbox in the Sequence Settings--that affects preview files, not exports. When you're using hardware MPE, you're always operating in MBD--or more specifically, you're rendering in 32-bit linear color. Generally, this is "better," though I've lamented about the negative effects of linear color processing, e.g. annoying opacity differences on dissolves, shaggy alpha channels, etc.

The bottom line is that Maximum Bit Depth allows Premiere Pro to generate better (subjective), more technically accurate (objective) output, regardless of the input and output format.

To the OP: more details are necessary about your source footage, sequence, and export settings. Some screen shots illustrating what you're seeing would be helpful, too.

• 3. Re: Render Issue
              FrangipaniOz Level 1

Thank you very much for the feedback so far.

I think things have got a bit stuck on 'bit depth' though! I was just saying that I had selected the options maximum quality and bit-depth - in case they were the first suggestions that people would give me to improve the situation.

When I said 'primary colours' these are the colours in the top of the colour palette, red, blue, green... so in this case it's just red & blue. My point was that there was no unusual colours in use that might not normally render well.

I have attached a screen grab so you can see the 'before and after' effect. [lthough this forum downgrades the image I've uploaded so I'm not sure that the difference is as clear in this image as in reality]

This occurs within the software when I select 'render' as opposed to on an export - although the export looks equally bad.

I'm shooting with a canon 5d mark 2 - so HD footage - but the most telling aspect is that the graphics [which I have included in the screen shot] have been generated and imported at the exact pixels of the final intended output [pal 720 x 576] - so these graphics are exactly 720 x 576 at 72dpi - and in the screenshot on the left is one of the graphics as it appears when it is imported [which is perfect] and on the left you can see the result after render in the sequence. It appears that the palette is being reduced on render.

The same downgrade is occuring with the video footage.

Help will be very much appreciated.

thank youQualityIssue.jpg

• 4. Re: Render Issue
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you set your playback settings to 'full resolution'?

playback resolution Full.png

• 5. Re: Render Issue

Also i would make the stills the same size as the sequence, which is probably 1920x1080?

If the sequence setting is 1920x1080 and the jpeg is 720x576 it is now scaled up to fit the screen and next downscaled down to fit the dvd.

The source monitor shows a 100% picuture of the original, this always looks good whatever the resolution.

The 72 dpi is not relevant for video only for printing. Its the pixels that count.

• 6. Re: Render Issue
                    FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi - yes thanks - my playback resolution is set to full - and the imported images are actually matching the project size - ie. 720 x 576. Although I've captured in 1920x1080HD - the end project is 720 x 576 which is a different aspect ratio to the capture format - so the project is setup in 720 x 576 - so the screengrab that shows the before and after of the graphic is actually at the same resolution... it's only when I render that it looks like that. Pre-render the playback looks ok still... it's definitely a render related issue...

• 7. Re: Render Issue

I can reproduce the bad jpeg in the program monitor after render in MPE software mode.

I assume you are in MPE software mode also?

In export dont use the preview files but make sure max render quality is on, see how that looks.

• 8. Re: Render Issue
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

To me, this looks like a classic case of rendering saturated reds with DV--a recipe for yuck. Add to that single field display in the Program Monitor, and it's no wonder why it looks terrible (though that's mostly because it's DV).

I'm assuming you used one of the DV PAL presets, which locks you into rendering previews with the DV codec. I set up a sequence that way--and one set up with Custom editing mode so I could specify MPEG I-frame as the preview codec--and ran some tests. Here are some examples of several render and display options:

rendertests.png

(You can right-click the pop up image and select View Image to see that at full-resolution in your browser.)

It doesn't have to be that way, but it's mostly dictated by what you plan to do with the finished video. What's your output destination?

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Render Issue
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          It appears that the palette is being reduced on render.

I'm not seeing that with the uploaded image.  In fact, when I bring it into Photoshop, the reds and blues are the exact same color on both images.

What I'm seeing looks more like interlaced artifacts than anything else.  What are your sequence settings?

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Render Issue
                            FrangipaniOz Level 1

Thank you for all the responses... it seems like maybe we are getting somewhere... although I don't fully understand all that is being suggested.

In terms of my settings and final output... the final piece is to be run on free-to-air tv. Their requirements for broadcast quality are as follows;

Acceptable File Formats
                            • MPEG-2 Program Stream @ 15Mbps PAL 720 x 576
                            • QuickTime Movie H.264 @ 15Mbps PAL 720 x 576
                            Upper (or Odd) field dominance. No mixed fields.
                            If vision plays back with field dominance causing a vision
                            stutter error, use progressive scan or de-interlace.
                            Import master export into SD PAL 720 x 576 sequence /
                            project. Export acceptable file formats listed above.

• PAL 25 fps
                            • Upper (1st or Odd) field dominant
                            • Resolution 720 x 576
                            • Luminance level not to exceed 700mU (digital scope) or 100% (analogue scope)
                            • Black level not to drop below 0mU
                            • Chroma level not to exceed 100%
                            • Titles and graphics are in 4:3 titlesafe
                            • No visable drop-outs or noise
                            • Video duration matches clapper details

--------------------------------

I have setup the project as a DV Pal [you were correct about that] so in my sequences settings it defines editing mode as that [and doesn't give me the option to change it.]

Pixel aspect ratio is D1/DV Pal [1.0940]

Fields: lower fields first

Display format 25fps timecode

Video previews: preview file format microsoft AVI DV Pal

Codec DV PAL

WIdth 720 x height 576

Maximum bit depth, maximum render quality...

I sent a sample to the broadcaster overnight to check in their testing system and he responded saying that the file has been overly compressed.

He also said that 'your file is transcoding to a 4:3 format [which doesn't mean much to mean - I thought it was supposed to be 4:3]

When I have exported the final file I have used the following settings;

H.264

Output: PAL, 720 x 576, Upper,

AAC, 256kbps, 48khz, stereo [btw my sound is apparently too high too!]

VBR, 1 Pass, Target 14.00, Max 14.00 Mbps

Source: 720x576 1.094, 25fps, lower,

48000 Hz, stero

Maximum Render quality, Use Frame blending

Pixel aspect ratio: Standard 4:3

Profile: Main

Level: 3.1

Render at maximum depth is checked

Bitrate settings VBR, 1 Pass

Target bitrate 14

Maximum bitrate 14

advanced setting - set key frame distance

Key frame distance 30 frames

---------------------------

Colin - it seems like what you are suggesting might be the answer to my problems - although I don't know where/how to recreate the suggestion that you have made... the other thing I am realising is that maybe I setup the original project with the incorrect settings.

If any of you can suggest the correct way to setup and/or export - I would really really appreciate it.

If it means redoing the whole sequence so be it - at least it will be right and I can get it finished...

Just as a final note - they also told me that the audio is too high and distorting - if there is an easy way of correcting this also as an export setting that would be cool!

thanks a million - really appreciate all your help - saving me!

• 11. Re: Render Issue
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Just as a final note - they also told me that the audio is too high and distorting - if there is an easy way of correcting this also as an export setting that would be cool!

Going back to the PrPro Timeline, Alt-click on the Audio of one of the Clips, to open that in the Source Monitor. Look closely at the Waveform Display. Do you see any Clipping there?

When playing the Timeline, with the Audio Mixer open, what are the max levels? Are you getting anything in the red?

While PrPro is not a full audio-editor, it does have a lot of useful tools. If you are getting signals in the red, in one, or more of the Audio Tracks, you can adjust the Level of that/those Track(s). This will not restore any Clipping in the original recording, but will lower the overall Level.

If all is within the green, with but a few peaks into the yellow, but the client is still saying that the Levels are too high, you can adjust the Master in Audio Mixer. This will affect what is Exported.

If the original material is Clipping, then I would recommend going into Soundbooth, or Auition, and addressing that with probably both EQ and a Compressor, though nothing beats having a perfecly good dry recording. Once a digital stream is Clipped, restoration is tricky, and can require a lot of work - if it can be saved at all.

However, if you have a good dry stream, then making adjustments prior to Export will fix most such issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Render Issue
                                FrangipaniOz Level 1

Thanks a million for the feedback on the sound issue Hunt - I think i will be able to sort that issue out with your directions.

Fingers crossed I can sort out the video issue too!

• 13. Re: Render Issue
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  If any of you can suggest the correct way to setup and/or export

OK.  You've given good info so far.  But we need one more thing.

What is the source footage for this project?

• 14. Re: Render Issue
                                    FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi - I think I mentioned earlier - source footage is HD canon 5D mark 2 - 1080 x 1920. tk u

• 15. Re: Render Issue

That is I think one of the problems you are going from progressive to interlaced.

Uncheck Frame Blending.

Check Use maximum render quality.

For export you can use a preset.

This might shed some light on text and dv.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hodgetts_philip/titles.php

• 16. Re: Render Issue
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.  Here's what I'd do.

Recreate the graphic at the same resolution as the media.  Work in a sequence that matches your media, not the desired export specifications.  You can get to SD when you export.

• 17. Re: Render Issue
                                          FrangipaniOz Level 1

Thank Anna but I've already tried with the frame blend switched off and the maximum render quality on. The problem isn't just related to graphics/text - it's teh whole video. the article you suggested is interesting though.

Jim i could redo the whole thing [as a last option] in full res - BUT it's a different aspect ratio - so if I do that, how do I export it at the correct aspect ratio and what setting do I use to avoid the over compression taht I am already experiencing?

The preview video already looks good until it is rendered - so I don't think that there is a problem in that sense...

Colin can you please reply again? - you seemed to be closed to the solution...

thank you so much

• 18. Re: Render Issue

Just make a new sequence in 1920x1080 settings, copy everything from the old sequence and drop it into the new.

• 19. Re: Render Issue
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

And then just export out using the settings you need.  Black bars will be added to accommodate the 4:3 deliverable.

• 20. Re: Render Issue
                                                FrangipaniOz Level 1

but the problem is that I don't know the correct setting to export under to create a file that doesn't have this compression issue....

If I knew these setting it wouldn't be necessary to setup the project all over again - because it is already in the correct format.

Do you actualy know the correct setting to export with?

• 21. Re: Render Issue
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You listed them in post 10.  The station has given you the specs it needs.  We can't change that.

But if you recreate the graphic at the media dimensions and use a proper sequence, things should come out fine.

• 22. Re: Render Issue
                                                    FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Jim

thank you for the reply - but the same question still stands - what settings do I need to use in order to comply with the stations requirements?

I have used what I believed to be correct, but it has overcompressed.

Even if I redo the whole sequence in full-res, what setting do I then use to match what they are asking for...

Do you know what settings should be used?

thank you

• 23. Re: Render Issue
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't understand what you're not understanding.

The station has given you the settings in it's requirement.

I'm also not understanding what you mean by overcompressed.  Can you be more specific?

• 24. Re: Render Issue
                                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Fran,

I recommend setting up your sequence to match your output--that way, you can get a better idea of how your source footage will play into the final destination export. Open the New Sequence dialog, select the DV PAL Standard 48kHz preset, and then click on the Settings tab in that dialog. Change it to look like this:

pal-custom.png

The is roughly the same as the DV PAL preset, but by selecting the Custom editing mode, you can change the Field Order freely, as well as the preview codec. However, the video preview file format and codec is really irrelevant; that setting is completely separate from your export requirements.

You mentioned the frame size of your footage (1920x1080), but not the frame rate; I'm assuming that since you're in PAL land, it's 25P. That will edit just fine in a 50i sequence like you've just set up. Note that you will, of course, have to resize your footage as need to fit in the sequence's frame as you like; if you want it to be full-frame, cropping the sides, use the Scale parameter to shrink the HD footage to somewhere around 53.5% (by my tests). If you want the whole HD image visible, you can simply use the Scale to Frame Size setting on each clip (right-click the clip); this will letterbox the footage, with black bars above and below. The choice is yours.

Finally, since they're asking for a QuickTime H.264 (that means MOV) for delivery, you could try something like this:

quicktimeh264.png

On the Audio tab, you could select Uncompressed or AAC; AAC will be smaller, but may or may not be acceptable to the broadcaster. I use a similar setup for delivering SD spots to local broadcasters here in the States, and have never had anything rejected. That's not a guarantee of success in your situation, but it's based on what the broadcaster is requesting, so it might work for you, too.

There is only so much you can do with highly saturated graphics like yours, an interlaced destination, and a codec like MPEG2 or H.264 which generally does not handle saturated colors (particularly red) very well. You can sometimes mitigate some of the chunky curves by adding a bit of a soft shadow or glow to your graphic--anything to break up the harsh transition from one color to the next. That's not a magic bullet, but it may buy you a little bit of wiggle room.

Hope this helps you somewhat; please ask questions if something doesn't make sense. Good luck!

• 25. Re: Render Issue
                                                          FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Colin

thanks a million for the reply. Unfortunately i'm not quite there yet though.
                                                          I had originally setup my file almost exactly to what you have suggested - with only very minor differences.

Since I got your message I have setup a test file, and run a .mov file according to the settings you suggested, and its come out looking really bad - what am I doing wrong??

I've attached a screengrab so that you can see my settings, as well as the .mov file playing [on the right]

I really hope this one gets figured out - starting to sweat!

p.s. yes - we are 25fpsScreengrab.jpg

• 26. Re: Render Issue
                                                            FrangipaniOz Level 1

ooops - just discovered that my mistake was setting the bitrate to 1500 instead of 15000!

That came up looking pretty good... I'm sending it to pre-approval to see if it's correct for the station.

Fingers and toes crossed... thank you

• 27. Re: Render Issue
                                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I see that you're cross-posting questions to another forum, too:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/205/874433

In general, it's courteous to cross-link when you cross-post, so that people don't waste their time answering on one thread when you've already gotten your answer on another.

• 28. Re: Render Issue
                                                                FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Todd

I only posted the same question on creative cow after I wasn't getting a response that was helping me get past the issue on this forum.

Since then Colin has come back into the conversation and it appears that his suggestions are going to give a positive result.

I didn't even realise that my question was live on creative cow yet because it was going through a moderation process.

Didn't intend to 'cross-post' - it just seemed like my only option at the time.

If this forum provides the answer I need of course I will inform the creative cow forum also.

cheers

Fran

• 29. Re: Render Issue
                                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Fran,

It's making more sense now; the station you were sending the spot to did not specify an anamorphic encode--that is, widescreen. We can fix this:

Set up your sequence like this:

pal-custom-wide.png

This only difference here is the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio). That specifies that the pixels are to be stored even wider than the PAL 4:3 pixels. Even though the frame size of the sequence is the same as the last, this will give you a proper anamorphic widescreen sequence.

Build your edit in that sequence; the HD material will need to be scaled down to about 55% to fit the full image in the sequence's frame. Don't use Scale to Frame Size, however; due to the differences in Pixel Aspect Ratios between HD and SD widescreen, you'll end up with black bars on the sides if you do that. Just manually scale the footage down until you see almost everything. You can copy and paste that Motion effect value then to your other clips.

Finally, set up your QT H.264 export like this:

Again, the only difference is the pixel aspect ratio. That should give you what you need for the broadcaster's purposes. If they balk at this one (though if they were happy with the last save for the lack of anamorphic encoding), we can try MPEG2, but I think this should get you by.

Let us know how it goes. Almost there...!

PS: One important consideration (and now I see it when re-reading the broadcaster's specifications) is to be sure that your graphics fall within a 4:3 title safe. That means that you can't utilize the full widescreen image for graphics placement. Premiere Pro doesn't have center crop title safe guides, unfortunately, but a way you could test the placement is to nest this sequence into a regular 4:3 PAL DV sequence; you can turn on the title safe guides in that sequence then to double-check your placement. If they're outside of the 4:3 title safe, just go back to the original widescreen sequence and move the graphics as necessary; you can toggle back and forth between the sequences to check the position. Of course, you still want to export from the 16:9 widescreen sequence.

• 30. Re: Render Issue
                                                                    FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Colin

Cool - thank you - this is starting to make sense now - but I guess that means I'm going to have to redo the whole sequence rather than just edit the one I have.

I think there was a second screen grab [for the export settings] that you referred to that didn't get attached to the post - do you think you can post that please?

thanks a million

Fran

• 31. Re: Render Issue
                                                                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                                      I guess that means I'm going to have to redo the whole sequence rather than just edit the one I have.

No need. Just create the new sequence, copy the edits from your original sequence, and paste them into the new one. You might need to tweak some scaling and positioning, but there's no need to recut anything.

I think there was a second screen grab [for the export settings] that you referred to that didn't get attached to the post - do you think you can post that please?

Whoops--hadn't finished my coffee yet...

quicktimeh264wide.png

• 32. Re: Render Issue
                                                                        FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Colin

thank you SOoooo much - we have created a few test files and it seems that your instructions were exactly right - yay!!!

The only PROBLEM still is that when I paste clips from the original video into the new setup, it brings the files across with black bars around them, and I can't figure out how to clear this 'cropping' of the video...

thanks a million again

Fran

• 33. Re: Render Issue
                                                                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                                          The only PROBLEM still is that when I paste clips from the original video into the new setup, it brings the files across with black bars around them, and I can't figure out how to clear this 'cropping' of the video..

Hi Fran,

Glad you're almost there

To fix the above, remember that you (probably) scaled your clips down to fit the 4:3 frame; that scale value (Motion > Scale in the Effects Controls panel) will be preserved when you copy from one sequence to another. Just fix one of them, copy the Motion effect, and paste to the rest of the clips. That should take care of the black bars, but let us know if that doesn't fix it.

• 34. Re: Render Issue
                                                                            FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Colin

phew - at last we're on the home-run with this file - all is good EXCEPT there is one little segment of the ad, the opening segment, that is a clip that we have set to run at 200% speed, but when it is rendering it interlaces badly.

I have tried setting the field options to deinterlace, but it hasn't helped. Would you have any suggestion please?

I can't thank you enough for all your help.

I don't think we'd have got this far with it.

tks Fran

• 35. Re: Render Issue
                                                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

If you're just looking at the resulting export on your computer screen, it'll probably look like that--it's an interlaced file on a progressive display. You might be able to mitigate this somewhat (and perhaps create a smoother effect in general) by right-clicking the sped-up clip and enabling Frame Blending. That will force PPro to generate new frames from consecutive frames, and theoretically, look a bit more natural. You'll be able to see the effect right away in the Program Monitor.

Note that there is a Frame Blending option in the export settings, but you don't want that; you want the clip-level Frame Blending.

• 36. Re: Render Issue
                                                                                FrangipaniOz Level 1

Hi Colin

thank you for the suggestion - I've tried it but the problem is still very obviously there.

The visual effect is a stripeness in all the shadow areas - and it's very obvious.

Unfortunately it is the tv station that has rejected it so I have to come up with a solution. [it's not just that it look ugly on my computer screen]

It's only happening because we've speeded the clip up - but it's very necessary that it runs at that speed unfortunately.

Is there anything else that we can do to potentially solve the problem?

thank you so much

Fran

• 37. Re: Render Issue
                                                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Without knowing what you're looking at, it's really hard to guess what the solution might be.

• 38. Re: Render Issue
                                                                                    FrangipaniOz Level 1

p.s. I don't know if this helps but within PPr the preview of the clip with the interlacing problem looks fine, it's only after export that it's an issue....

• 39. Re: Render Issue
                                                                                      FrangipaniOz Level 1

I've just uploaded a sample of the problem.... http://www.vimeo.com/26705037

thank u

Fran

1 2 Previous Next