5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 8:38 AM by ECBowen

Colin- A hardware question

lasvideo Level 4

I would like to know how the Kona 3 and Nvidia 4000 work in Premiere Pro  5.5. Doe the Nvidia only affect the display on the Mac monitors?Does it  support 2 monitors like my ATI Radeon 3875?  Does the the Kona only  affect the video going to the external monitor? And what is happening  with the MPE in this setup?

• 1. Re: Colin- A hardware question
          lasvideo Level 4

Wow, I just learned somethingfrom Adobe tech support that has the potential to really disappoint a lot of editors switching to PrP 5.5. I was told that PrP supports only 1 graphics card at a time. So you have a choice. If you want to take full advantage of your CUDA card speeding certain things up, then you cant use the Kona 3 card to output the video to an engineering / client monitor. And conversely,  if you need to see your video from the Kona 3 card displayed on a external monitor, you cant take advantage of the MPE / CUDA benefits from your Nvidia card. Yikes.

• 2. Re: Colin- A hardware question
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Actually the MPE will only use 1 GPU for the CUDA processing. The I/O card working with the MPE engine has to do with the drivers the I/O manufacturer release. AJA last I checked did not completely work with the acceleration. Blackmagic drivers work fine with the acceleration.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Colin- A hardware question
              lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Eric. I guess its time to motivate AJA who is a creative and responsive vendor

• 4. Re: Colin- A hardware question
                lasvideo Level 4

Karl Lee Soule had this to say...

Tom,  I believe this recently changed with the release of the new Kona  drivers last week. It was true that the GPU benefits did not use to work  when in an AJA preset timeline, because the AJA drivers didn't take  advantage of it. But AJA rewrote the drivers.

• 5. Re: Colin- A hardware question
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Excellent news. I did not know they released new drivers recently. It has been a couple weeks since I had checked.

Eric

ADK