7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 10:21 AM by Jim_Simon

The Future of Premiere Pro

lupaie Level 1

Hey people,

Just a little thing I was wondering. In the past the maincompetition as NLE for PrP was FCP. Now that that is out of the way I believe two things can happen:

1) Adobe has less competition, and so it has to do less. Competition is a good thing and this is not good!

2) Adobe sees a large market on Mac hardware and will invest in extra support

But maybe, and I hope not, it will be first point 2...and then point 1 right after that. Maybe not!

What do you think the longterm effect will be?

• 1. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Premiere Pro is one of only two major NLEs that is cross-platform, Avid being the other. So long as they are able, Adobe will support both platforms and continue to expand that support and the features provided by the software.

This is based on nothing in particular; just a hunch.

• 2. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
            Toomany3 Level 1

I think we (Adobe users) are in a GREAT position right now, at least in the short term--probably long term too!

Two reasons:

1.  Adobe is smart.  They have the best creative suites around.  They want to make money.  They see that there is a huge foremly-hard-to-tap market of editors out there many of whom are just sitting there still stunned that, heaven forbid, Apple just left them high and dry, completely abandoned.  (This has been going on for at least a couple years, but the koolaide tastes good and so does the iMarketing).  After they realize that Papa Steve isn't their friend any more, they are going to go out looking for another system.  And right now, there's really only Avid and Premiere... maybe Edius, but that's another story.

Do you think that Adobe is out there looking at the 1,000,000 FCP editors (read that somewhere, not sure how accurate it is) and is just like, "poor them."  Or do you think that Adobe is more like, "Let's get them right now before Avid does"?

The good thing is that FCP and Premiere are faily similar and there's very little learning curve.  Going from FCP to Avid has a steeper learning curve.  So Adobe has the edge and, I think, it's their game to lose.

Some would argue that Avid is better, but I think there's pros and cons of both and there's no clear "better."

So, with the market base being so much bigger, open, and ready to be gobbled up, I think that if Adobe's smart (cleary they are), they will be going after that Apple money like no tomorrow.  See their 50% off to change promotion?  Super smart!

I think the more FCP users who see the Adobe light the better for us, the consumer, because that means more capital.  More capital, more resources to keep the programs updated... (well, maybe that's not totally solid, FCPX is a good example, but Adobe has not given us any indication that it is going to slow down development.  In fact, the opposite is true.  E.g. CS5.5).

2.  I don't remember now, but it was good.  Trust me.

• 3. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If there is something PPro doesn't have that you would like it to have, go to

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The more people request a feature, the more likely Adobe will listen

• 4. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
                Toomany3 Level 1

John T Smith wrote:

If there is something PPro doesn't have that you would like it to have, go to

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The more people request a feature, the more likely Adobe will listen

And while you're there, put a request in for MUCH better multi-cam.  4 Cameras is stupid!  (I seem to always work this in to a thread one way or another).

• 5. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
                  ProMaxed Level 1

I'm a new switch from FCP. Adobe has MUCH more to loose that Apple did. Adobe is proactively pursuing the pro video market share by making great strides in the advancement of their NLE pro platform. Whereas Apple had all but stopped investing several years ago. Apple really ticked off a lot of people too, globally. Now they can't be trusted. The will never gain the trust back.

Anyhow, I seen it coming a while back and invested in Prod. Prem. CS5. Now upgraded to 5.5. I have some adjusting to do and a few kinks to work out but I'd rather be here investing my time and money. To continue with FC would just pose more problems and pain on down the line. Little pain now. Glad to be aboard.

- John

• 6. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I think for the really big projects (Network, Theatrical) there were two features that Premiere Pro needed if it wanted to enter the arena.  Or at least, there were two that I felt important, there may well be many more.

1. The ability to merge a video clip with a separately recorded audio clip, which can then be viewed as a whole in the Source Monitor for setting In/Out points.  Dual system sound is pretty standard in the big leagues, and a way to deal with that seems pretty important.

2. Network/multi-user compatibility.  In the big leagues, it is quite common for more than one person to be working on the same project at the same time.  There needs to be a way for those users to share/update/merge/modify their separate work into a cohesive whole with relative ease, and that needs to be able to happen over whatever type of network the facility is using.

We finally got 1 with the recent 5.5 release.  That combined with the features lacking in the newly released FCPX is a major step forward for Adobe, I think.  This is one of those occasions where a market leader has guessed wrong, and the upstart has done things right, putting them in a position to overtake the competition.

I think if Adobe ever implements 2, we'll start seeing the Adobe logo replace the Avid logo in the end credits of Hollywood blockbusters, just like we're starting to see the RED and Genesis logos replace the Panavision logo.

And the end game here?  Job listings requireing familiarity with the entire Adobe suite.

• 7. Re: The Future of Premiere Pro
                      Toomany3 Level 1

2. Network/multi-user compatibility.  In the big leagues, it is quite common for more than one person to be working on the same project at the same time.  There needs to be a way for those users to share/update/merge/modify their separate work into a cohesive whole with relative ease, and that needs to be able to happen over whatever type of network the facility is using.

Couldn't agree more.  We're a small time opperation--4 editors, but we'd use this every single day.