10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 12:20 PM by Colin Brougham

Avid DNxHD Export

Toomany3 Level 1

Just trying out Avid's DNxHD codec for exporting from AE and Premiere.  I get this dialog box, but it's chopped off.  Is this what it's like for everyone else?  I have this on 2 different computers and can't get to a "save" button, or whatever it's even supposed to be to lock in the settings.

cap1.JPG

• 1. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Get thee to the latest version: Avid - Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.3.4 Download

Then it looks like this:

aviddnxhd.png

• 2. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
            Toomany3 Level 1

As always, thanks for your help!  Works!

Hey, Colin, I actually got DNxHD from an old post of yours about 2 years ago.  Do you still like it?  Is it the best bang for the buck (quality vs. file size?)  I'm running into difficulties with my greenscreen workflow (conversation from yesterday), and I need a good intermediary codec that doesn't produce 100GB files like Quicktime animation. 

Don't want to merge two threads, but.... (for those joining in, it's here:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/873887?tstart=30).  My greenscreens aren't just a background plate behind the talent. 

They go from Premiere multicam, to After Effects for keying and graphics, then back to Premiere for sound effects and then are locked down.  The problem is, all those bounces back and forth need to be able to be viewed in real time to time the graphic effects in AE and then the sound effects in Premiere.  But quicktime animations are too slow/big to get real time playback, the AE dynamic link does the same thing.  So then I find myself rendering out proxies in both directions, and then it just starts becoming a mess.

Yesterday I thought I had a better workflow figured out with the Ultra keyer in Premiere, but I still need to figure it out.  My problem is that not all my plates and graphics are taking place BEHIND the talent.  Some are background elements and others are foreground, and that's where I run into trouble. 

Oh, I can do it, but I really don't like my workflow!  And now that I have a ton of these scheduled, I need to do something better than my bandaide I'm putting on it.  I need something streamlined. 

Hence my questions about DNxHD.  Do you think it would be a good intermediary codec for bouncing back and forth from AE and PR? 

I'm uploading a couple videos so you can see what I'm talking about.  Will post shortly.

• 3. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
              Toomany3 Level 1

I'll probably move the Greenscreen talk back over to the other thread to keep it all together.  But a question regarding DNxHD, why doesn't it have a 29.97 1080p export option?  Because of Murphy's Law sine that's the only format I shoot?  

Will one of the others work?

• 4. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I think DNxHD is good, at least for your purposes as an intermediate. Even though it's QuickTime, it should still playback smoothly with multiple layers. You could look at AVI codecs like the Ut Video Codec Suite or Lagarith Lossless Video Codec (my current preference), as they are 64-bit and lossless; they probably will not work as well in multiple layers, however. If all you're looking to do is create proxies for smoother editing, you could even do something as crazy as spit out a DV AVI, and just scale it to fit in your sequence; obviously, though, if you need alpha that won't work. If you need intermediates that are export-ready, look at the first three.

Might be fodder for another thread, but can you be more specific about the issues with Ultra re: foreground/background elements?

• 5. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>1080p export

I don't do BluRay so have not paid a lot of attention, but I **think** I've read messages about that format not being supported fully, with the solution being to work in 1080i

But, as I said, no details or message links 'cause I don't have that workflow

Premiere Import Formats http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSd79b3ca3b623cac97fa024001235833a568-800 0.html

Premiere Export Formats http://help.adobe.com/en_US/mediaencoder/cs/using/WS725e431141e7ba651e63e3d1267818bc51-800 0.html

CS5 Encore Files & Formats http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS5C9E1CF8-B5BC-436f-89D3-61DDC02A2C47a.html

• 6. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                    Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks!  I'll look into those.

Might be fodder for another thread, but can you be more specific about the issues with Ultra re: foreground/background elements?

I will post it back at the greenscreen thread.  My Vimeo uploads are almost done.  Look for it here http://forums.adobe.com/message/3782067#3782067 in a few miniutes.

• 7. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Hmm... I think I was able to export a 1080/30p file by selecting the 1080/59.94i DNxHD option (and it seems to work with the other rates, as well), and then in the main Export Settings window, select 29.97 as the frame rate, aspect ratio Square Pixels, frame size 1920x1080. The resulting file, when imported into Premiere Pro, indicates that it is 30p. Any luck with that?

• 8. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        I don't do BluRay so have not paid a lot of attention...

Where in this thread was Bluray mentioned?

• 9. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BluRay was not mentioned... but 1080p is not a DVD format... anyway, as I said, I am not sure about how well, or even if, PPro supports 1080p

• 10. Re: Avid DNxHD Export
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

And where in the thread was DVD mentioned? We're not talking about delivery here; we're talking about intermediate workflows. Bluray, DVD, ABC, LMNOP have nothing to do with it.

And yes: Premiere Pro handles 1080p. All the way up to 1080p/60. And it works fine. Some of us use those and other non-delivery frame rates all the time.

1 person found this helpful