17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 5:40 PM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements Lags when playback video

Beenz75

When playing back video transferred, the video stop/starts in the preview screen making editing pretty impossible  It is like the information is too much for the laptop to keep up with.

The video type is AVCHD 1080i HD

My computer specs are Intel Quad Core i7 7201 1.60Ghz with 8GB Memory

Please help,

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premier Elements Lags when playback video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
          You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
          I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
          Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
          Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
          A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
          http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
            Beenz75 Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for your answer.  From what I made out, I cannot transfer the video using a single hard drive.  I do have an external drive although the laptop uses USB2 connections. I will run a test, putting the video to be transferred onto the external drive to be copied onto the internal drive

There is a eSata connection on the laptop so if the above fails then would I be looking at purchasing an eSata external HDD?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some background on editing to/from an external HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video

As I said in my 1st reply, there are two people that I know of who use a USB drive for editing... which may or may NOT work for you 

Using an eSata drive is MUCH better

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                  Beenz75 Level 1

Hello again,

Many thanks for all your advice so far.  The USB 2.0 external HDD done the exact same thing on playback after the test.  I even tried recording (Sony Cybershot DSC-HX5V) in the lesser file format mp4 1440 x 1080 and the video still stalls on playback

I done a CPU test whilst the video was lagging throughout the above and it never went over 45% usage and RAM never exceeded 3GB (5GB remained free)

I put the same video into Windows Live Movie Maker that is on the laptop and played the 1080i video direct from the internal HDD which it done flawlessly, exactly as it does on the camera.

Could it possibly be a setting in the Adobe Prem 8 software that simply needs tweaked?  I have'nt even started editing yet, I'm just playing the video off the 7200rpm internal HDD

I have used Window Movie Maker (XP) for 10 years and was delighted to find Adobe Prem 8 installed on my new laptop.  I was really looking forward to progressing with the movies I make so would be gutted if I cannot get this to work,

Thanks

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video

This is for CS5, but the hardware requirements by type of file are fairly universal

This message has a really good graphic about requirements
                    CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                      Beenz75 Level 1

Thanks John,

I read through all that and it appears that my system meets the 'Requirements for easy codecs' with the 6MB L3 Cache preventing it going any higher.  My full system specs are here if that helps at all.  I would have though my specs are well withing the range as Windows Movie Maker allowed me to save the same video to a 1920 x 1080 27fps file (it reduced the 60fps from the original) which played back perfectly.  Why would that editing software work and not Elements? 

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video

I don't use WMM for editing, so can't comment

For AVCHD and a laptop, you need...

Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/
                        -or http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118
                        -or another brand laptop with the following features
                        -the newer sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor
                        -and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much
                        -1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
                        -and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro
                        -and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                          Beenz75 Level 1

The fact the same thing happens with the lower mp4 video as well would suggest that it is not a AVCHD issue.  I actually managed to sucessfully save a AVCHD file from elements to windows using the highest settings available (720p) and it played back perfectly.  The stop/start lagging only appears in the preview video pane, when I play a video that I have just added.  So it lags in the preview whilst editing but the final copy file is fine.  I could see this being a serious problem once trying to merge video's together.

I waited on the phone at premium rate for 25 minutes to speak to adobe technical help today only to be told that they required a payment for them to help me as I am using a previous version!

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Prior to version 9, Premiere Elements did not use an efficient AVCHD workflow. Version 8 was particularly sluggish. Plus you have to render (press Enter) whenever you see red lines above the clips on your timelines -- which, in version 8 and earlier, is pretty much constantly.

(You don't mention which project specs you selected when you started you Premiere Elements project, but that too could affect performance.)

In version 9, the program edits AVCHD natively. You don't have to render your video until you add effects or transitions to it. With your computer specs, you'd see a world of difference in performance.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                              Beenz75 Level 1

Hi Steve,

THANKS!

Two really helpful points there.  Firstly, when I first opened elements I just clicked OK (did not even notice that there was a settings option) and every time I have been going back in to test have just been clicking 'open project' not 'new project'.  So this time I went into 'new project' and seen that I had been using default NTSC DV Standard 48khz so I changed it to PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25.  I thought I had cracked it, but the video still played back delayed.

You also mentioned rendering, so I noticed those red lines on the top of each video in the timeline, so I went to Timeline>>Render Work Area and after that those lines turned to green and... my videos played back perfectly!!

Before I mark my question as answered (counting chickens before they've hatched!) What is rendering? I now know that every time I insert videos I will have to do the above process but can I still fully edit the video afterwards?

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you a lot of details on Rendering.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                                  Beenz75 Level 1

Thanks Steve for fixing my problem due to rendering.

Thanks to John & Bill also for their helpful posts also.

I'm delighted I now can start to learn how to work this software,

Graeme

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video

Well, you can certainly start learning the program with my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Then, if you really want to learn the program inside and out, with lots of step-by-step instruction, you can pick up a copy of one of my books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                                      Beenz75 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for those links.

I watched all 8 videos all on my desktop PC whilst working through the steps on the laptop, so now know the basics!

I have registered with your site also so will keep a look out for the ideal tutoral suited for me,

Thanks again

• 16. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video

Thank YOU for supporing the site, Beenz!

• 17. Re: Premier Elements 8 Lags when playback video
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Beenz,

While looking around the Muvipix site, do not overlook all the great functional content too. There are motion backgrounds, Menu Sets, original music and more. Those are free to subscribers, and available for a nominal fee to non-subscribers.

Enjoy, and happy ediitng,

Hunt

PS - Steve has a complete Learning Series there, that is not to be missed.