12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 1:00 PM by Colin Brougham

Rendering a selection of clips

Sneaks8 Level 1

I'm wondering if you can render a selection of clips in the timeline like you can on Final Cut Pro. I can only render what is in the work area in Premiere Pro

Thanks Andy

• 1. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
          Colin Brougham Level 6

No, only the Work Area can be rendered. There are keyboard shortcuts to set the WAB in and out points, which might make things a little bit faster.

File a feature request if you like: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The answer to your question is actually contained in the question.

You can only render what's under the work area.  So you limit your render selection by setting the Work Area Bar.

I'm curious, Colin, what type of feature request one might make here (seeing as we already have the feature).

• 3. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
              Sneaks8 Level 1

I'm an FCP switcher and was hoping there was a feature to render certain clips in the timeline.

I'll file a request form.

Many thanks,

Andy

• 4. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                Sneaks8 Level 1

I'm an FCP switcher and was hoping there was a feature to render certain clips in the timeline instead was rendering everything.

I'll file a request form.

Many thanks,

Andy

• 5. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Are you talking about Rendering non-contiguous Clips, say Clip 01, Clip 03 and Clip 05, while omitting Clips 02 and 04?

Like Jim, I am not quite sure what is desired, and why the WAB is not able to work. Can you help me understand, please?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm curious, Colin, what type of feature request one might make here (seeing as we already have the feature).

Being able to render selected contiguous or non-contiguous clips without the WAB would be welcome. Additionally, being able to render lower tracks/clips and use those as temporary proxies (for example, a complex background) without forcing a re-render everytime something above is changed would be swell. Did this all the time in Avid, and I've missed it.

• 7. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                      Sneaks8 Level 1

Hi Colin

Yes something like that.

I have been given some GFX clips which are placed all over the timeline. They need rendering to playback smoothly but I don't want to have to render an hour long sequence when the video clips play fine. In FCP I would just highlight the selected clips on my timeline and press CMD+R to render just the GFX files on Track 5.

Andy

• 8. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Andy,

Have you tried setting your Playback Resolution to 1/2, or maybe 1/4 if you're working in HD? Right-click the Program Monitor or click the Output button to change that. It might help a little bit, and avoid the need to render for smooth playback--of course, visual quality will temporarily drop, but that's just for preview.

• 9. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                          Sneaks8 Level 1

Yes that does work but it would be nice to view the whole sequence at high resolution as that's the reason I brought a Mac Pro. I know having to adjust the WAB is just a few extra clicks but its something I really miss after switching from FCP and Avid.

If the boys and girls at Adobe would add this feature to their next update that would save editors a lot of time.

• 10. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Add a CUDA GPU and that'll save a lot of time too

• 11. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                              Sneaks8 Level 1

Yeah I just looking into that.

The Quadro 4000 would be really helpful but i've just spend £850 on buying the Production Suite so it's going to be awhile before I can folk out for an expensive graphics card unless you know an alternative card which would do the job for cheaper? I mainly edit 1080p projects shot on DSLR's and Sony EX3 cameras.

Thanks

• 12. Re: Rendering a selection of clips
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Sadly, the list of supported cards for Mac is much, much shorter than for Windows. Your next cheapest option would be the GTX285, but that's a long-extinct card, so you'd have to find one used on eBay or new-old-stock somewhere. I really don't know why the list is so much shorter for Mac, but again, use that feature request form to complain about it. The line of FCP switchers at the door is getting longer, and I think they're all going to want some hardware MPE lovin', too Adobe would do well to increase this list for everybody.

I will say that once you edit with hardware accelerated MPE, you will never look at another NLE setup the same way.