6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 4:02 AM by TradeWind

FCP7 to Premiere Pro FULL CONVERT

FasanoUnderwaterPro Level 1

Like many other FCP editors, I'm fully converting to Premiere Pro (PP). This is due, for me personally, FCP still being disgusting behind the times in blu-ray authoring and I have more demand for blu-ray projects now.

I've seen the tutorials on using XML to convert back and forth between the 2 programs, but those only concern sequences in projects.

I'd like to FULLY convert everything to PP. This will include all clips that have been named and organized, though not used in any current projects, and literally try to make mirror copies of the projects.

Also, some clips are several years old and were captured from tape based media in Final Cut Express 4 as HDV 1080i60. These same clips were not converted to pro res when I purchased FCP7 last year. I'd like to have them converted to pro res if that's possible.

Is there a way to perform this? To be able to have all FCP projects become PP projects, without losing the naming structure of the imported clips and also convert every clip to pro res?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

• 1. Re: FCP7 to Premiere Pro FULL CONVERT
          Colin Brougham Level 6

First of all, welcome! We'll try to ease you in...

I'd like to FULLY convert everything to PP. This will include all clips that have been named and organized, though not used in any current projects, and literally try to make mirror copies of the projects.

As far as I'm aware--and I've only done a few FCP -> PPro transfers--you can only bring sequences from FCP across, and not whole projects. That's because, if I'm remembering correctly, that an exported XML is only reflective of a sequence and not of a project. Anything in bins and not used in a sequence would be ignored.

That said, a workaround of sorts would be to create temporary sequences in FCP of all your footage that you want to transfer, and then export those sequences as XML. Not sure if you'll get bins or not, but you should be able to preserve all or at least most of the information you've entered for the clips in PPro.

If you haven't already, definitely download the trial version (fully functioning for 30 days) and do some test runs. I will be totally upfront and tell you that the XML process is not a 100% accurate process, but it's gotten better with each release, and I think it's pretty complete now, as of CS5.5.

Also, some clips are several years old and were captured from tape based media in Final Cut Express 4 as HDV 1080i60. These same clips were not converted to pro res when I purchased FCP7 last year. I'd like to have them converted to pro res if that's possible.

Will you be using PPro on a PC or Mac? If you're staying on the Mac, and you have FCP installed, you'll be able to use your HDV clips directly in PPro without the need for any additional steps. If you're uninstalling FCP, or switching to a PC, Apple HDV is a no-go unless you purchase a third-party decoder like Calibrated{Q} XD Decode. You can thank Apple for that one I have or have been working on a way to losslessly rewrap Apple HDV clips for use in Premiere Pro (going from MOV to MTS), but it's not 100% yet and since I'm on Windows, I don't know how well it would work on the Mac.

Regarding your second point about converting: Premiere Pro doesn't do that. Ever. It's not like FCP where you're usually forced to transcode or rewrap on import. With Premiere Pro, if you can import it, you can edit it. It's got pretty broad support built-in, but you can extend that with the installation of other codecs; simply having QuickTime installed will let you import ProRes, or installing something like the Calibrated XD Decode component will let you deal with things like XDCAM or Apple HDV MOVs that are not natively supported. So again: if you can get the Apple HDV MOVs into Premiere Pro, you're not really going to benefit from converting them (unless you're switching to another platform and don't want to shell out for the decode component).

Hope that answers some questions, and again, if you haven't downloaded the trial, I'd highly recommend taking it for a spin.

• 2. Re: FCP7 to Premiere Pro FULL CONVERT
            Doug at Rock Level 1

If you export an XML out of FCP with nothing highlighted in the FCP "Browser" window the entire project is contained in the xml.

I'm not sure how well premiere will deal with that. I've had issues with sequence only XML exports having the first edit wrong (correct duration but not the correct in or out) This was in PP CS5. I have not tried 5.5  just got it today and I'm testing other things...

• 4. Re: FCP7 to Premiere Pro FULL CONVERT
              TradeWind Level 3

@ Colin (and somewhat off topic):

The FCP HDV/MOV garbage cost me $130 today for Calibrate XD. Gotta say, that is definitely an elegant and seamless solution from Calibrate, but how obvious is it that Apple was just trying to keep everything "in house" with their approach to MOV re-wrapping? It certainly would be some evidence in an anti-trust lawsuit...

Really makes no sense why they would do it that way except to stifle competition and keep people working within the FCP environment. It's not like they re-encoded the footage when you captured an HDV cassette, they just wrapped it up so no one could use it except FCP editors.

I'm a long-long-long-time PPro editor (PC based) and so this is just footage coming from a shooter I haven't worked with before now, so I've never before had this set of issues to cause this problem. I didn't have any more time to waste waiting for the proper footage media so I just had to plunk down for Calibrate.

Like I needed another reason to dislike Apple and the world of FCP, but there it is.

• 5. Re: FCP7 to Premiere Pro FULL CONVERT
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Aw, man--I could've saved you $130 Or, you could have sent it to me! Even better, you would have been operating in all the 64-bit goodness of PPro instead of being shackled by QT's 32-bitness. Seriously though, the Calibrated stuff is solid.

It stinks, fo' sho', but I doubt anything of the sort would hold up in court. All you'd have to do is argue that is was for efficiency's sake, blah blah blah... case closed*

* I'm no lawyer, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• 6. Re: FCP7 to Premiere Pro FULL CONVERT
                  TradeWind Level 3

You just made the case AGAINST efficiency (32bit QT vs 64bit PPro).

Still, as always, jury finds in favor of the defense. Plaintiff will be sentenced to hanging...from an Apple tree.

I came very close to ringing your doorbell Colin, b/c I knew you had the goods to fix my problem. But 1) FTP for a set of 16GB clips would have taken some time back and forth plus the transcode time and 2) I felt like the Calibrated guys deserved some extra support for making this work.

I'll keep you in mind next time I need something done for free!