19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 8:35 PM by MattNeedsHelp

Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?

MattNeedsHelp

It's been 3 hours and only 13% encoded.

A thuderstorm is moving in and I may have to quit.

• 1. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us the full specs. of your computer? The more detail, the better.

There are likely some bottlenecks in there, and with perhaps some tuning up, or hardware upgrades, things can be improved.

Transcoding is the biggest issue, and is heavily hardware dependent. Other than hardware,there is not much that can be done.

Good luck, and if you are in a thunderstorm-prone area, you might want to explore getting a UPS w/ enough battery power to keep the machine going, in case of a power loss.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
            MattNeedsHelp Level 1

Dell XPS, Dual processor, 3 gigs RAM

Movies came out to be 4 gigs and some change total.

Does it usually take this long?

• 3. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you also describe your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, free-space, controller type and how you have them allocated?

As Transcoding is heavily reliant on CPU and on I/O, those are the first places to look.

A fast Quad-Core, or i7 CPU would be helpful, though would probably require a new MoBo, so would not be inexpensive.

If you only have one HDD, but could add another, then you would likely see a boost, and better bang for the $.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                MattNeedsHelp Level 1

I'm looking to do stuff that I can do now for this movie that's still encoding.

(..now at 20%)

This is my parents computer I borrowed to make a DVD, since it had adobe elements on it already.

My ability to describe its setup is.. limited.

• 5. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Got it.

With a borrowed computer, one is pretty much limited to the configuration.

That said, your parents might want to look at adding an additional HDD, if there is space for one, and the computer is working from a single HDD now. That will be about the best that one can do to speed up Transcoding.

The ultimate workflow for a DVD is to start with DV-AVI Type II Source Files, in an NTSC, or PAL Project Preset - far, far less internal processing that way. Other formats, though they might be supported for Import, like WMV, will just be horribly slow.

The necessary Transcoding to MPEG-2 relies on the I/O (the HDD's), the CPU and then the RAM, and pretty much in that order. As you are likely running a 32-bit OS, you cannot do much better, than the 3GB of RAM installed. Now, if the video card uses shared RAM, you will loose some of that 3GB to the video card, which does next to zero, when it comes to things like Transcoding.

Good luck, and hope that the thunderstorms miss you today!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                    MattNeedsHelp Level 1

According to the task manager I'm only using about 1gig of ram and

75 to 80% of a dual core 2.3gz processor.

Other formats, though they might be supported for Import, like WMV, will just be horribly slow.

Oops. My main two hour movie is a divx avi, but I decided to get creative and added three small 'preview' movies (each under 2mins) before the main movie - all in wmv. Also the background movie that plays in the template is a wmv. I don't know what a type 2 avi is.

Also I had 4 "scenes" menu screens each with a custom static jpg background (one was a png), each had their own music.

Speaking of which, if I load up a song, but it only uses 30 secs of a 3min song, does it still encode the whole 3min song or just the sample I used?

If I start over and get rid of that stuff will it speed up the encoding process?

At this rate it's going to take 20 hours.

20. Hours.

• 7. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>main two hour movie is a divx avi

That is a HIGHLY compressed playback format, not made to be edited

Since that file has already been encoded and compressed your computer is doing a LOT of work to decode to an edit format and then encode to another output format

• 9. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                        MattNeedsHelp Level 1

I'm at 36%

Maybe I should just stop and convert everything to "DV-AVI Type II" files.

But I'll lose 7 hours of encoding if I stop now.

I hate to do that if nothing I do is going to make a difference.

Anyone know a good free converter to change my divx avis and wmvs to this "DV-AVI Type II" format?

• 10. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The easiest way is to convert, outside of PrE to a DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit. I use a shareware conversion program, but Prism, a freeware program, gets good reviews here.

Same for the WMV - convert.

Same for MP3's - convert to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit.

Those Assets will Transcode much more quickly, plus also edit much more smoothly.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am in the process of converting two DivX files, where the client could not find the original material, and only had what was output some years ago for streaming delivery. Things just go much more smoothly, at all stages, when one converts outside of the NLE, and this is not just PrE, but others, as well.

• 11. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                            MattNeedsHelp Level 1

So Bill you think I should stop and change those file types?

or just let it run for another... ugh.. 14 hours?

• 12. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                              MattNeedsHelp Level 1

Well I pulled the trigger.

I stopped the burn/encode process.

Let's hope I don't regret it.

I'll download Prism, convert the files, and try again.

• 13. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

To give you an idea, I will share a little story:

I was handed a Project, where the client said that the WMV's were the ONLY available source files (not too different from the DivX one, on the machine now). I begged for the originals, and pointed out that the WMV's were heavily compressed, and if we could ONLY go to the originals, all would be much, much better. The client did not want to look around his company, so I was instructed to use the WMV's. In a fit of pique, I just Imported the 4 WMV's, added the Titles, did some simple cuts, and then Exported. This was on my workstation, which is still very fast. It was taking forever. After about an hour into the Export, I loaded up the WMV's onto the laptop, converted them to DV-AVI Type II's, Imported them into a New Project, did the same Titles, the same cuts and then Exported. The one on the laptop, though started much later, and that had the time to convert, finished 3 hours ahead of the WMV's on the workstation. I learned to not break my own rules of "Always Convert," and ended up with a bit of a benchmark.

Whether there will be THAT big a difference with your DivX files, I cannot say. Also, I was Exporting to DV-AVI, so that would be quicker, than MPEG-2, the format/CODEC needed for DVD. Still, there was about a 5 hour difference, considering all that had to be redone in the second version.

Good luck, and hope that the story did not bore you to tears...

Hunt

PS - I was also using PrPro on the workstation, and had to use PrE on the laptop, so as to not violate the EULA of having two instances of PrPro runnng at the same time. PrPro is a tad faster, than PrE, but they are very close.

• 14. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                  MattNeedsHelp Level 1

I guess the only way to know is to try.

I just noticed that Prism is a pay program. I guess there is a free version with some features locked out. I'm not looking to drop another 40 bucks on a project that is grinding to a stand still. Does anyone know if I can do what I need to do without paying for a full version of Prism?

• 15. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The FAQs to the right of our forum recommend a number of free programs as well as some settings that will produce usable results.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 16. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                      MattNeedsHelp Level 1

Thanks Steve,

So my options seem to be...

Prism - which may or may not work for free. Still need some help there.

Super

Windows Movie Maker

VirtualDub

Which do you think would give me the best looking conversion?

According to the FAQ Elements should be able to convert it. Would that be a long drawn out process like encoding? Should I just use Elements or download a second program?

• 17. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info. I was not aware that Prism was shareware, and was obviously mistaken that it was freeware.

Sorry about that,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                          MattNeedsHelp Level 1

I think there's a downloadable version and a pay "plus edition."

I'm not sure what the difference is. I can't find that info on their site.

I was hoping someone here would know.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

https://secure.nch.com.au/cgi-bin/register.exe?software=prism

• 19. Re: Is there anyway to speed up encoding/burn process?
                                            MattNeedsHelp Level 1

Ok I downloaded Prism, the free version seems pretty functional,

HOWEVER, I can't convert to DV-AVI Type 2!

There's only an "avi" option.

Under the "encoder" menu I have a few more options. I changed the "sound format" to 48k like you said.

I changed the "sound compressor" to 'PCM Uncompressed'

There's a "video compressor" section that I'm not sure what to do with.

Right now it's on "MJpeg Compressor" I could change it to "DV Encoder NTSC (Directshow)" if that's what I'm supposed to do.

EDIT - You know I had another thought. My main movie really isn't edited any. Instead of changing it to a DV-AVI what if I just went ahead and changed it to mpeg2 if that's what the dvd player needs anyway?