3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 9:12 AM by Mylenium

After Effects crash on startup

DanielBolstad Level 1

Well, on my Windows 7, 64-bit computer After Effects CS5 crashes on startup. There's no error message, but in Windows 7 event viewer I get this:

Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 10.0.1.19, time stamp: 0x4c785da6
      Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c8f9
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x000000000005324e
      Faulting process id: 0x1c4c
      Faulting application start time: 0x01cc3cf6440e6be3
      Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support Files\AfterFX.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
      Report Id: 940f5f01-a8e9-11e0-99fb-6c626d85f20c

• 1. Re: After Effects crash on startup
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, update to the most recent version.

There are troubleshooting steps here. Let us know which you've tried and what the results are.

Has After Effects ever worked on this system? If yes, then what has changed since then?

• 2. Re: After Effects crash on startup
            DanielBolstad Level 1

Firstly, I had the most recent version, but I'm back down to 10.-something because I tried re-installing after the crash problems.
            Secondly, it has worked and nothing has changed... well, perhaps I updated to the newest Windows service pack, I can't be sure.

It's part of the CS5 master collection and all the other programs work just fine.

• 3. Re: After Effects crash on startup
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm afraid if you yourself don't know what's going on on your system, then we are not really able to help. NTDLL crashes 90% of the time are issues at the system level, which could be anything from permission issues with files to flakey graphics drivers, so look into that, especially since you installed your software on a different drive and not C:, which is not the safest thing to do with Adobe programs, unfortunately. Turn off security tools and virus scanenrs, update your graphics and otehr drivers, check fiel permissions aand user privileges. Also trash the AE prefs and monitor the spalsh screen when AE attempts to launch. That info alone could tell you everything you need to know to fix the problem...

Mylenium