5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 1:52 PM by drmz2004

Best Codec for Digital Hi8 SD Widescreen render to Youtube

drmz2004

I shoot material on a Digital Hi8 camcorder in widescreen mode and can't seem to find a reasonable codec to render to for Youtube uploads that fill the screen.

When I render at a 720x480 resolution and upload to Youtube I get letter and pillar boxing in the resulting Youtube. Many of my videos are over 10 or 15 minutes long and even though I have the ability to upload over 15 minute videos to my account, Elements will often give me a warning and not allow me to upload anything over 10 minutes long using the direct to Youtube "share" function.

I've tried various .mpg and .wmv settings and have basically settled on 1280x720 as the rendered video resolution, but not only does this take a long time to render and upload as they become huge files at this resolution, but it also seems to be a waste and potential image degradation issue as it's blowing up the original video, but this is the only resolution it seems that fills up the Youtube window once uploaded.

I also tend to try to up my audio codec too since a lot of my videos are music related and like to keep the audio quality up too.

Any suggestions??

• 1. Re: Best Codec for Digital Hi8 SD Widescreen render to Youtube
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

By Digital Hi8, I assume you mean Digital8. Digital8 video will capture over FireWire to produce the very same DV-AVIs as miniDV tape.

That said, when you start a project you should assure that it is set up for DV. This will give you a 720x480 video.

My books include a wealth of information on using the program's tools and editing this type of video, by the way. I've even created a free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com that may be worth checking out.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

For best results on YouTube, I'd recommend you use these settings:

From the Share tab,  choose Computer and then QuickTime/MOV.  Choose the DV preset and then click the Advanced button.

From the settings window, do the following:

Video Tab
          *Video Codec: H.264
          *Quality: 100
          *Frame Wdith: 640
          *Frame Height: 480
          *Frame Rate: 29.97
          *Field Type: Progressive
          *Pixel Aspect Ratio: square
          *Set Bitrate: checked
          *Bitrate: 8000 kbps

Audio Tab
          *Audio Code: AAC
          *Output Channels: Stereo
          *Frequency: 44kHz

• 2. Re: Best Codec for Digital Hi8 SD Widescreen render to Youtube
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the 10+ plus Duration upload, PrE was written, when everyone had the same limit, so you will want to do the Share to file, and then manually upload that to your account on YouTube.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Best Codec for Digital Hi8 SD Widescreen render to Youtube
              drmz2004 Level 1

Yes, Digital8 I guess would be the more accurate and correct term for the format... I do set my project settings for DV SD Widscreen which I assume is 720x480 and confirmed with the details of clips I import when I check them in Explorer.

But when I render out to Windows Media (I've had problems rendering out as Quicktime before - fluttering of video, sync problems) so I've relied on mpg or windows media for the time being - when I render out as 720x480 and then upload to youtube, I get letterboxing and pillarboxing. Only when I expand the video to 1280x720 do I end up with a fully filled youtube viewing window. (And even then I am still getting a little black above and below the video)

I can also improve the audio quality this way going with a windows 9.2 lossless codec which I like. Downside with all this is huge file sizes, long renders, and long upload times.

I will try these settings that you provided, but won't 640x480 give me 4x3 squished video since my sources is 16x9??  Thanks for the help guys and community!

From the Share tab,  choose Computer and then QuickTime/MOV.  Choose the DV preset and then click the Advanced button.

From the settings window, do the following:

Video Tab
              *Video Codec: H.264
              *Quality: 100
              *Frame Wdith: 640
              *Frame Height: 480
              *Frame Rate: 29.97
              *Field Type: Progressive
              *Pixel Aspect Ratio: square
              *Set Bitrate: checked
              *Bitrate: 8000 kbps

Audio Tab
              *Audio Code: AAC
              *Output Channels: Stereo
              *Frequency: 44kHz

• 4. Re: Best Codec for Digital Hi8 SD Widescreen render to Youtube
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To output a widescreen video, use the specs I recommended above except change Frame Width to 855.

• 5. Re: Best Codec for Digital Hi8 SD Widescreen render to Youtube
                  drmz2004 Level 1

Ok Steve, thanks...

Trying some QT settings now...

for one thing, I don't even get a 44.1kHz audio sample rate as an option to choose, it jumps from 32k to 48k with no 44 in the middle.

when I try 48k, I get stuttering in the audio, when I try 96k I get no audio, and when I try 32k it seems work.