7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 9:01 PM by the_wine_snob

import problems with VOB files

Snhoj Level 1

Several of the VOB files that I am trying to import into Ppro are coming in with a minimum of video content and no audio. When I change the file name from VOB to MPG the video comes in fine but the audio is very abreviated. What is the best process for importing the VOB files. Many of these files are a year or two old.

• 1. Re: import problems with VOB files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

VOB files are heavily compressed and not really suitable for editing. I suggest you ask the copyright owner for the original material before compression.

• 2. Re: import problems with VOB files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

VOB's can be problematic, but it really depends on what is in that VOB "container," and how it was created. This ARTICLE will give you more background.

Some work fine, but some are just problems.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: import problems with VOB files
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I found this program which does a great job of converrting to a DV AVI.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

• 4. Re: import problems with VOB files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Thank you. I have added the link to the DVD-VOB article.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 5. Re: import problems with VOB files
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the dvd was made with a dvd recorder it can get tricky.

If you have a camera with analog in connect the dvd player to the camera and the camera with firewire to the pc.

This way its a hardware conversion to dv-avi.

There is also a program that is called VOB-edit which can fix this for you.

You can also use a program like Womble which can edit these vob's with no trouble.

• 6. Re: import problems with VOB files
                    Snhoj Level 1

Bill

Thank you for all the information. It will take a while to sort through it but I did find some helpful ideas. I have an ADVC300 and will give  that a go. Also, I was about to try to record a separate audio to replace the original that when I renamed the VOB to MPG only lasted a few seconds.

I have 5 DVD's that were recordings of a local news program's interviews with the client over the past few years. There is no longer any "original" material. I have to rerecord each to a FLV format to be placed on the clients new website. The first two worked perfectly - I copied  the VOB file to a hard drive and imported it into PproCS5 and then exported it to a FLV. It went fine. The next three were a different story. I then experimented with the changing the vob file type to mpg with the third dvd and the video worked well but the audio onlu lasted a few seconds of the 5 minute interview. I haven't tried # 4 and 5 yet. I will try the ADVC300 method tomorrow and try that one out. When I tried to render the 3rd renamed video in After Effects it go an error about 2 minutes in on the 5 minute video and stopped - also the audio only lasted a few seconds. For what I need to do I'm guessing the 300 method may do the trick.

Will let you know...

John

• 7. Re: import problems with VOB files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I have seen many instances, where the TV stations used DVR's to hand off DVD's to a subject. Those almost always cause issues.

Good luck,

Hunt