4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 4:57 AM by Cookie4ddict

How to refresh images placed with XML?

Cookie4ddict Level 1

Hi folks!

I placed some images and texts with XML to an InDesign (CS5) document. Unfortunately it's possible that the file is modified. In that case I want to start a script which updates the links. But that should happen later. First it's necessary to check if updating is possible.

For that I modified the file and refreshed my linked file. But all that is replaced are my texts. The images vanished and I had to place them again by hand.

What am I doing wrong? Could anybody help please?

With kind regards,

Steffi

• 1. Re: How to refresh images placed with XML?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Independently of XML, if a placed image is changed, it should show as Modified in the links panel. Does that not happen?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to refresh images placed with XML?
            Cookie4ddict Level 1

No, it doesn't happen. When the links are updated, the images are vanishing from the links panel. I have to place them again

• 3. Re: How to refresh images placed with XML?
              Cookie4ddict Level 1

Ok, maybe somebody knows the problem when I'm posting some images. I made a screenshot of my InDesign XML and after you can see my XML-File.

xml.jpg

And here's my XML-File:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
              <Lage>
                  <wohnlage>Gute Wohnlage im Grenzbereich zu sehr guter Wohnlage</wohnlage>
                  <Lagebeschreibung>Der Mornroe-Park liegt in einer guten Wohnlage. Die blauen Punktelinien zeigen die Grenzen der PLZ-Bereiche.Der Monroe Park liegt im Grenzbereich zwischen PLZ 14167 und 12205.</Lagebeschreibung>
                  <Legende href="H:\05_1Produkte\2010\005_Riskanalyser2010\Karten\Lagelegende.png"/>
                  <Lagekarte href="H:\05_1Produkte\2010\005_Riskanalyser2010\Karten\20012_Karte.jpg"/>
                  <Kartenuntertitel>diese Karte beinhaltet blablabla</Kartenuntertitel>
              </Lage>

• 4. Re: How to refresh images placed with XML?
                Cookie4ddict Level 1

Finally I noticed what went wrong

I used Excel to generate my XML. Excel did the building of the href paths only with the path to the file.

What I didn't noticed was, that InDesign wants the path like "href=file:///C:/Bilder/Wiese.psd"

Finally it's working and I'm happy!

thanks for trying to help me