5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 1:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Video Converter Questions!

MattNeedsHelp

I took a look at the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

and tried Prism like Bill suggested.

I don't see anything to change files to DV AVI Type 2.

There doesn't seem to be in type 2 option in Prism.

And I didn't see it in screenshots of Super either.

I tried using Prism to change a small mp4 file to a avi and all I got was a blank white screen with audio.

In Prism I outputed to an avi format with the encoder option set to "DV Encoder NTSC (Directshow)"

All I want is a good file converter that can handle large files and produce good quality DV AVI type 2s.

• 1. Re: Video Converter Questions!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most recent conversion programs, that I have seen, ONLY do DV-AVI Type II, and few make any distinction, regarding the file type created.

DV-AVI Type I's will usually work, and the only somewhat common issue is a static OOS (Out Of Sync), which is easily corrected. Also, there is a file size limit in DV-AVI Type I's, but that is seldom reached. DV-AVI Type I's are not seen much nowadays. Do not know exactly what Windows Movie Maker Exports to now, but once the only DV-AVI available from it was Type I. Again, those usually work fine in PrE, though a DV-AVI Type II, always works perfectly.

If a particular conversion program (especially if it's a current version) only lists DV-AVI (with no regard to Type), I would speculate that the changes are very good, that it IS DV-AVI Type II. Even my older DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 (shareware from Deskshare), does not list Type II, but that is the only DV-AVI file that it will convert to.

Good luck, and maybe others, who use the different conversion programs can comment directly on the DV-AVI Type, that each does produce.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video Converter Questions!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Prism is not listed among our recommended conversion programs. This is one of the reasons.

• 3. Re: Video Converter Questions!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that. I had incorrectly assumed that it was, as it gets so very much good mention here, and on Muvipix. Bad assumption on my part.

As I have one conversion program, that works so well for me, I do have to admit that I do not follow the other converters that closely.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video Converter Questions!
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We did used to recommend it, Bill. But then the company started charging for it.

• 5. Re: Video Converter Questions!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you!

Thanks,

Hunt