6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2007 9:50 PM by David Zuckerman (Adobe)

Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!

bmont
      I have had nothing but problems with the FlexBuilder 3 beta. It has been so bad that I will have to completely uninstall the product.

It crashed the very first time I clicked on a link on the Flex Start Page and it has been downhill ever since. I can't even open an actionscript editor anymore. The editor will not come up. It says to check the log files.

I tried to create a new Adobe AIR project and I can't even get the "Next" button to disable even after I have entered a project name.

I think with all the crashes the program has been completely corrupted.

I think this product is in alpha stage NOT beta and I think Adobe should be putting a huge warning on their download screen that this product should not be used for any serious development. I know it is beta but Adobe seems to be promoting it as a fairly stable product, which it is not.

The really sad thing is that I had been working with Flex 2.01 with the Apollo Alpha runtime and everything was working fine. So my question is: Why was the AIR runtime beta not made compatible with Flex 2.0.1.? This was the next logical progression of the runtime.

I am warning others that you probably should not download the beta(alpha) release of FlexBuilder 3 unless:
      1. You don't care about corrupted projects. i.e. Nothing really serious to develop
      2. Your app is really trivial.
        • 1. Re: Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!
          rgrzywinski Level 1
          What errors do you find in the log files (the "[documents dir]\Flex Builder Moxie\.metadata\.log" file)?
          • 2. Re: Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!
            Level 7
            What are your machine specs? I have Win XP Pro, SP2 and I have both Flex 2
            and Flex 3 on my machine with no problems with either.

--
            Nancy Gill
            Adobe Community Expert
            Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
            Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
            Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner''s
            Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
            Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"bmont" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f56h1t$rdj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have had nothing but problems with the FlexBuilder 3 beta. It has been so
            >bad
            > that I will have to completely uninstall the product.
            >
            > It crashed the very first time I clicked on a link on the Flex Start Page
            > and
            > it has been downhill ever since. I can't even open an actionscript editor
            > anymore. The editor will not come up. It says to check the log files.
            >
            > I tried to create a new Adobe AIR project and I can't even get the "Next"
            > button to disable even after I have entered a project name.
            >
            > I think with all the crashes the program has been completely corrupted.
            >
            > I think this product is in alpha stage NOT beta and I think Adobe should
            > be
            > putting a huge warning on their download screen that this product should
            > not be
            > used for any serious development. I know it is beta but Adobe seems to be
            > promoting it as a fairly stable product, which it is not.
            >
            > The really sad thing is that I had been working with Flex 2.01 with the
            > Apollo
            > Alpha runtime and everything was working fine. So my question is: Why was
            > the
            > AIR runtime beta not made compatible with Flex 2.0.1.? This was the next
            > logical progression of the runtime.
            >
            > I am warning others that you probably should not download the beta(alpha)
            > release of FlexBuilder 3 unless:
            > 1. You don't care about corrupted projects. i.e. Nothing really serious to
            > develop
            > 2. Your app is really trivial.
            >

• 3. Re: Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!
              Level 7
              same here. both running side by side on XP Pro SP2

Bill

"Nancy - Adobe Comm. Expert" <nancy@webwish.com> wrote in message
              news:f56t0u$ccr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > What are your machine specs? I have Win XP Pro, SP2 and I have both Flex
              > 2 and Flex 3 on my machine with no problems with either.
              >
              >
              > --
              > Nancy Gill
              > Adobe Community Expert
              > Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
              > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
              > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
              > Beginner''s
              > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
              > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
              > Development
              >
              > "bmont" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              > news:f56h1t$rdj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >>I have had nothing but problems with the FlexBuilder 3 beta. It has been
              >>so bad
              >> that I will have to completely uninstall the product.
              >>
              >> It crashed the very first time I clicked on a link on the Flex Start Page
              >> and
              >> it has been downhill ever since. I can't even open an actionscript editor
              >> anymore. The editor will not come up. It says to check the log files.
              >>
              >> I tried to create a new Adobe AIR project and I can't even get the "Next"
              >> button to disable even after I have entered a project name.
              >>
              >> I think with all the crashes the program has been completely corrupted.
              >>
              >> I think this product is in alpha stage NOT beta and I think Adobe should
              >> be
              >> putting a huge warning on their download screen that this product should
              >> not be
              >> used for any serious development. I know it is beta but Adobe seems to be
              >> promoting it as a fairly stable product, which it is not.
              >>
              >> The really sad thing is that I had been working with Flex 2.01 with the
              >> Apollo
              >> Alpha runtime and everything was working fine. So my question is: Why was
              >> the
              >> AIR runtime beta not made compatible with Flex 2.0.1.? This was the next
              >> logical progression of the runtime.
              >>
              >> I am warning others that you probably should not download the beta(alpha)
              >> release of FlexBuilder 3 unless:
              >> 1. You don't care about corrupted projects. i.e. Nothing really serious
              >> to
              >> develop
              >> 2. Your app is really trivial.
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!
                David Zuckerman (Adobe) Level 1
                Hi bmont-

If you can get us your log file, we can give you an idea of what's going on. Also, if you can give me your machine specs, including OS that would go along way as well.

There are a few issues that we've seen with FB Moxie, but so far they've all be solvable so with a bit more information, I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this and get you back on track.

Thanks!
                -David
                • 5. Re: Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!
                  bmont Level 1
                  Sorry for the rant, but this has been extremely frustrating. Unfortunately, I deleted all the FlexBuilder 3 data from my system when I re-installed the product.

However, I may have tracked down some of the problems:

1. I am using Cairngorm. So I found I had to install a beta version of it since the hotfix in Flex 2.01 broke Cairngorm. I did this and that fixed one of my errors. I believe this hotfix is also included in Flex 3

2. I am also using Ruby on Rails as the backend on my project. So I downloaded the Rails Eclipse plugin from Aptana and added it to FlexBuilder 3. I am basically putting both ruby on rails and Flex under the same project. However, when I re-installed Flexbuilder 3 I decided not to download Rails plugin from Aptana but instead chose to just add the RDT eclipse plugin to Flexbuilder 3. This would still give me support for Ruby source files without the Rails IDE perspective. Now none of this is new for Flex 2 users and this configuration is fully documented in Peter Armstrong's FlexibleRails eBook. However, in Flexbuilder 3 it looks like it is a problem. A new probelm I have is that I cannot edit ruby source files in my project. I keep getting an error message "The project coursebuilder is supposed to have a ruby nature." I have no idea what this means. I have noticed that there is a new menu item called "Flex Project Nature" but i'm not sure what this does. So my question is: Can I not mix a ruby project with a flex project like you could do in Flex 2? Do they have to be separate projects?

3. I am still getting that crash when I take the "Flex Developer Center" link from the Flex Start Page. I have reported this bug.

My operating system is Windows XP Media Edition with SP2. I am using a Gateway machine with dual pentium processors and 2 Gig of memory.

I don't know how to include an attachment. So if anyone would like the log could you please show me how to send it.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Major problems with Flex 3 beta, Should be alpha!
                    David Zuckerman (Adobe) Level 1
                    So by adding a Flex Project Nature to a non-Flex Builder project, you can make a hybrid Flex/Other project, giving you all the capabilities of a standard Flex project. And for the problems you ran into with the Ruby plugins, please file a bug so we make sure to double check those configurations.

If you have any log information, the best way to get it to us is to simply file a bug with the log information. We can then take a log at the log and put the bug in the right place.

Hopefully, we can get all your troubles worked out...thanks!

-david