11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 4:18 PM by the_wine_snob

Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?

ahswlax10

Hi.  I work in a public high school in a very large school system.  While I have new computers w/8gb of ram and decent video and audio cards, our Adobe Premiere 9.0 software frequently stalls, freezes, won't open projects, etc. . . .  The problems are not consistent from computer to computer.  In fact, the software runs beautifully from my "stand alone" laptop (which I installed myself using your recommended install procedure and the original DVDs.)  Which leads me to believe that our network firewalls are getting in the way of Adobe Premiere functioning properly.

We operate in a Windows XP 5.1 environment.  (I know!)  Our tech services folks take a copy of the original DVDs that we purchased (35 licenses), and load it onto a folder within an external flash drive that they've labeled as the image for my classroom.  That is how they install the software - all the software - for the computers in my room.  Never from original DVDs.

And, our Tech Svs staff told me that they read a service bulletin from Adobe that said if you have the Adobe CS4 or 5 web design suite installed on your computers, it will cause your Adobe Premiere Elements not to function properly!!!  I'm having a hard time swallowing that one.

So, there is something between how they copied this software onto their flash drives, to the network firewalls, that is causing headaches with the functioning of this software on networked computer stations.

I have also seen other forums where this problem occurs in other educational settings.

Education provides a pretty big customer base for you.  Have you developed a set of instructions specific to this environment for the installation of the software by the Tech staff?  If you would like, I'd be glad to volunteer my school and situation as a place you can come to troubleshoot and develop these instructions.

My only current solution is to tell students to render and save frequently (like, after every single thing they do.)  If their station misbehaves too terribly, we transfer the work to my laptop - and they do the work there.  But I have only one laptop.

• 1. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This forum is run by users. It's not the best place to contact Adobe.

To contact Adobe, click the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of this page.

• 2. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
            ahswlax10 Level 1

Sorry for not understanding the forum and how it should run.  Please feel free to take it down.

So, do you have any suggestions how I can bring this up with adobe?  Again, education is a large customer base, and I know other schools have these problems as well.

(There is no contact adobe at the bottom of my screen that I can tell. )

Thanks!

Susan

• 3. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Susan,

As the requirements of academia can be a bit different, than for the causual user, but is also the subject of a few posts per year here, I would urge you to update the thread, when Adobe has been able to help you.

Many teachers, and academic IT folk come here, and read/search the forum, to see if their questions have been answered. While your exact situation might seem unique, it could well help a peer, down the line, plus some of the regulars, though probably not faced with the constraints of the lab enviornment, could likely learn somethng in the process.

Good luck, and do please post a follow-up.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                ahswlax10 Level 1

Hey, Bill!

Thanks.  Now, where exactly can I find these threads?  If similar, I'd surely like to participate as I find out more.

Susan

• 5. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You mentioned working right on your standalone computer... which makes me think the ones that don't work are on a network

Read - Not in a Network environment http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151?tstart=0
                  -and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977?tstart=0

The software MUST be installed onto each computer, and the file locations MUST be set to the individual computer

Trying to actually USE the network for anything is not going to work

Also, you need to have at least TWO 7200rpm hard drives in the computer... boot and all software, and a separate drive (never a partition) for video files

Anything less is an exercise in futility

This is for CS5... but the PreElements requirements are not all that much less

This message has a really good graphic about requirements
                  CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

Hopefully Adobe's tech support will be of some help (I would hope you'd get some extra attention given that you've purchased 35 licenses!).

In the meantime, a couple of observations?

• Do you know whether the I.T. folks set up network (a.k.a. mapped) drives for caching, storage, etc.? That would definitely cause problems, and lots of times I.T. loves network drives because it makes their job easier.
                    • The next thing that comes into mind is anti-virus and file indexing - notorious for causing problems with video editing.
                    • In general, it shouldn't matter whether the installation is done from a DVD or a flash drive - it's the same bits, just coming from a different media. However, from your post it sounds like you purchased 35 physical DVDs? I know with v7.0, the DVD had a serial number that you had to enter. One scenario that pops to mind is maybe I.T. used the same serial number for every installation and Adobe's authentication software is having hissy fits when multiple copies with the same serial number are running. If this were the case, I would expect that "Computer A" would work fine as long as no other computers were running PRE, but would flake out when other computers fired up PRE. I wouldn't be the farm on this being your problem, but it's something to ask the I.T. guys. Piracy-prevention measures are notoriously secretive so there's no telling what kind of weird stuff might happen if serial numbers are colliding.
                    • I can't imagine firewalls would be causing the issues you're seeing. A firewall issue would more likely be black-and-white - it either always works or never works. Plus a firewall would only come into play if you were accessing the internet (or network resources, depending on how they have things configured), neither of which should be being done during normal editing.
                    • Have your told your tech services folks about your problems? If they are good, they can investigate your problems and *they* would talking to Adobe's tech support if it came to that.
                    • 7. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Susan,

Normally, I would recommend that one Search This Forum, but the search function on the Adobe forums has been broken for some time. Adobe is working on fixing things, and I have received reports that in a few of the forums, it HAS been fixed.

In the meantime, you can do a Google search, starting your seach string with "http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements" and then do an advanced search on words like, "network," "computer lab," and even on "Hunt," as I beleive that I have replied in most.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                        ahswlax10 Level 1

We are on a network - but we do have access to save to the C drive.  Students have a folder on the C drive where they save all project assets and work.

Are you saying that if they are multi-tasking, it could cause software burps?  Should they transfer all assets from a flash drive (pictures, music, etc. . .) into the project directory - and make sure they are not using any other programs while they are editing? Would this work if we are still tied to the network?  We cannot boot the computers without accessing the network, because if we could be "independent" (of the security features of the network) then my students might turn into deviants and mess up the settings on the computer or release viruses or do a multitude of other evil things.  So I've been told.

And, we just received 1 set of DVDs - but our license number is good for 35 stations - so using the same serial number should not be the issue (we do the same thing for our Web Design suite, and that has had no problems.)

I have complained to Tech Services and unfortunately, the problems never seem to replicate when they come in after school to do the work.  They are the ones who told me they read the adobe service bulletin that states Web Design CS4 interferes with the operation of Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0.  But, the students aren't working with the CS4 software when they are doing their video projects.  So - that has been the extent of their research, as far as I can tell.

Susan

• 9. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                          Ed.Macke Level 3
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}We are on a network - but we do have access to save to the C drive.  Students have a folder on the C drive where they save all project assets and work.

Being on a network is fine (especially since you don't have a choice ), but using network drives is not. As John mentioned, *everything* PRE is doing should be using local, physical drives (at least 7200 RPM). Preferably one drive for projects and media storage, and another for temp files (and, no, partitions do not count because they are the same physical drive).

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}Are you saying that if they are multi-tasking, it could cause software burps?

I think a rule of thumb with editing is: the less running the better. But some processes seem to interfere much more with editing than others: virus scanning software and indexing are the biggest culprits I can think of. So if you have Word, for example, running at the same time that's fine, but if Norton is running or, God forbid doing a scan, that's more likely to cause issues.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}Should they transfer all assets from a flash drive (pictures, music, etc. . .) into the project directory - and make sure they are not using any other programs while they are editing? Would this work if we are still tied to the network?

I think the above should answer... let me know if not.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}We cannot boot the computers without accessing the network, because if we could be "independent" (of the security features of the network) then my students might turn into deviants and mess up the settings on the computer or release viruses or do a multitude of other evil things.  So I've been told.

Well, I.T. has many reasons why they do things they do, but (as you might have suspected) your user experience is not Reason #1. But in any event, logging in and being on the network - in and of itself - shouldn't present any issues so no worries there.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}And, we just received 1 set of DVDs - but our license number is good for 35 stations - so using the same serial number should not be the issue (we do the same thing for our Web Design suite, and that has had no problems.)

Well, good, that should be one thing to cross off the list, then.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}I have complained to Tech Services and unfortunately, the problems never seem to replicate when they come in after school to do the work.  They are the ones who told me they read the adobe service bulletin that states Web Design CS4 interferes with the operation of Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0.  But, the students aren't working with the CS4 software when they are doing their video projects.  So - that has been the extent of their research, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, isn't that always the way? Just like when I take my car to the mechanic and tell them it's making this weird noise, and of course they drive it and it's fine and they think I'm drunk or something. Unfortunately, software is even harder to diagnose, and if the problem can't be replicated it can be pretty hard to fix.

Is the tech bulletin saying that CS4 and PRE9 need to running together to cause problems, or can the mere fact that CS4 is *installed* cause PRE9 problems? Either way, it the "tech bulletin" theory held water, you would think it'd be fairly easy to replicate. Also, if that was the issue, why does it run fine after school?

Can you get tech services to come in during one of the classes and see the problems first-hand? If nothing else, maybe they might be able to appreciate how frustrating the problems are and take a more proactive approach.

ETA: I don't know what that "function(){return A....." code stuff is, but it's not me typing that in

• 10. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>don't know what that "function(){return A

You have been Jived

• 11. Re: Instructions to Tech Svs Dept in setting up Adobe Premiere in school firewall setting?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

What John T. means is that the Jive software, that runs the forum, has done it to you. Quoting a previous reply, can result in some interesting code coming along for the ride - but then I am just "Jive talking" here.

Hunt