8 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 10:45 AM by Lisa_811

InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does

ezwind70 Level 1

I am running version 7.0.4. (mac version) We used to run CS3, which automatically skipped over part numbers.  Now CS5 stops on all part numbers.  I understand the GREP "no language" trick.

I am wondering if there is a solution that does not involve a GREP.  Why did CS3 have no problem and CS5 now stops on all part numbers?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
          preshead1

We are having the same problem where I work.  It seems backwards to me that something as basic as spellcheck would be changed in a way that makes it a colossal pain!  Couldn't Adobe have AT LEAST made this a preference for people to decide if they want it one way or the other?

• 2. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
            ezwind70 Level 1

What solution have you come up with. Do you use a plug in? None of the updates have fixed this.  The GREP find/change to no language works but it not robust enough to cover all situations.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
              preshead1 Level 1

The only solution we have where I work is to add the codes to the dictionary.  I wish Adobe didn't change the dictionary like this.  Or at least make it an option to turn on or off in preferences.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
                ezwind70 Level 1

That is what we had to do too. Spell check on a large docment is painfully slow.  So we did the best we could and added the names to the dictionary. We tried MindSpell, that is a horrible piece of software.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
                  preshead1 Level 1

I figured it out!  Using GREP styles!  (This is not the GREP find/change you've already tried!)

Step 1:  With nothing selected, create a new Character style.  Call it "No language".  The only setting you put into it is under Advanced Character Formats, select "[No language]" from the language menu.

Step 2:  Edit the Paragraph style that your part numbers use.  Under GREP Style, click "New GREP Style".  Next to "Apply Style:", select your new character style "No language".  In the "To Text:" field, type \S*\d\S* exactly as I typed it.

This GREP style tells spellcheck to skip over any sequence of characters that contain a digit that use the paragraph style you put the GREP style into.  Keep in mind, this will also include any instances such as "31-watt" or "5-piece" or anything similar.

Hope this still helps even after all this time!

• 6. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
                    Lisa_811

Sorry to re-initiate a post that is almost a year old... (If I should start a new thread, let me know) I ran across this thread earlier this week because we were having the same exact issue.

Can I ask: Why \S*\d\S* ? Why not just \d ?

I did the one that included the possible spaces (\S*), but the "No Language" got applied to more than I wanted and caused other problems with some scripts we use. It seems that just doing \d works...I NEVER want spell check to stop on a number. Are there issues I should be concerned with if I do this? What am I missing?

I'm brand new to 'GREPPING'...thanks to anyone that can help!

• 7. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

\S means anything NOT a space, so it starts looking after any space encountered to pick up the next word. The * tells the query there might not be any, or there might be more than one of the not-spaces before the first digit (\d) and the second \S* finshes out the word bu finding anything up to the next space. The reason you want to do this is to be sure you apply the no language to the entire word.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS3 spell check would not check part numbers but CS5 does
                        Lisa_811 Level 1

Ah, anything that's NOT a space...I missed that. That's my problem then. We use the old CS2 "JSfindchange" script to do a series of find/changes for each of our documents. One of the things it changes is double quotation marks to a special character we use for inch marks. Having the quotation mark set as "no language" for some reason made the script not find it and change it.

So, now I'm having the grep style apply only to digits (\d). It seems to work - my inch marks are good, and spell check doesn't stop on our part numbers or other values we may have such as "40A". I was just worried that there may be another problem I'm not thinking of by limiting it to just \d.