5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 7:53 AM by John Hawkinson

Reverse hyperlink possible?

StirlingEditor2 Level 1

I'm creating an epub in InDesign CS5.5 and have a hyperlinked glossary. I'm wondering if, once a user clicks on a word that takes them to the glossary, I can somehow create a reverse hyperlink with the same two words to get the user back to the place where they were reading in the e-book. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Reverse hyperlink possible?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

That only could work if the glossed word only occurred once in the plain text.

I think this should be left to the viewer software -- i.e., it should have a "Back" button for that.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reverse hyperlink possible?
            John Hawkinson Level 5

I'll disagree from the user experience side.

Essentially what is desired here is a combination index and glossary.

Wikipedia uses this interface, and it works quite well. It even has a way to handle the case of multiple references to the same citation, with multiple links back.

If oyu were to only permit the back button, you would lose the case where the user jumps to the glossary to look something up, sees another entry of interest, and wants to jump to that section of the text. That's a nice thing to have.

Practically speaking, however, I do not think there is a good way to do it in InDesign, no.

Like 'most everything, it is scriptable, but it is probably a significant effort. You'd probably use InDesign to generate the index and then merge it into the glossary.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Reverse hyperlink possible?
              StirlingEditor2 Level 1

Thank you for the replies, y'all. Here's a thought. What if I put a word in the glossary behind each entry, e.g., "Back." Then I could link that to the word before or after the hyperlinked word in the text? Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of return, though. Hmm...

• 4. Re: Reverse hyperlink possible?
                peter minneapolis Level 4

StirlingEditor2 wrote:

I'm creating an epub in InDesign CS5.5 and have a hyperlinked glossary. I'm wondering if, once a user clicks on a word that takes them to the glossary, I can somehow create a reverse hyperlink with the same two words to get the user back to the place where they were reading in the e-book. Any ideas?

If the action of following a hyperlink to a destination could temporarily store the location from which it was invoked, perhaps a modifier-key+click on the destination word with a tool tip, or perhaps an ornament with a tool tip on the destination word, could return the user to the starting point. This sounds suspiciously like the way that an e-reader or browser works, so perhaps the task is already solved. However, if you feel this isn't what you're looking for, consider filing a formal feature request here: Adobe Feature Request or Bug Report form.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Reverse hyperlink possible?
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

It doesn't seem to me that this is fully-formed enough to be

feature-request-worthy, or that if it were, it would likely be

implemented.

Script it yourself, ask for help scripting it, or pay someone

to script it.

I guess, though, the requirements are not well defined right now.

Is it merly a Back button? Can you follow other glossary references

back to their origin? Is it comprehensive? Or just the first?

Is autogenerated?