5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 2:18 AM by Harm Millaard

Problem with Nvidia GPU.

Deep J Singh

Hello, I downloaded a 30-Day trial of Premiere pro yesterday to try before buy but i have an issue. It crashes with my Nvidia GT335m but runs perfectly on Intel Chipset. I have alienware Laptop with switchable GPUs. Anyway i cant use it on Nvidia so the performance is not what i expected. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problem with Nvidia GPU.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the driver version for that Nvidia GT335m?

• 2. Re: Problem with Nvidia GPU.
            Deep J Singh Level 1

Hi, The Driver version is 275.33

• 3. Re: Problem with Nvidia GPU.
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need one more piece of information about your system how much dedicated video memory does the Alienware have.  We have no results on our PPBM5 testing for this GT 335M.  But unless it has almost 1 GB of dedicated video RAM it cannot be enabled to do the MPE Hardware Acceleration.  Now this should not cause any crashing it just would not be able to use the CUDA GPU hardware and only cause a decrease in performance.   This sound like an Alienware problem

• 4. Re: Problem with Nvidia GPU.
                Deep J Singh Level 1

Alright, Firstly my system specifications:

Core i5-520UM (32nm, 2x1.06GHz, Turbo to 1.87GHz, 3MB, 18W) - Overclocked to 166MHz Bus

4 GB DDR3 Ram - PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 x 2GB)

Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M with Optimus Technology
                (72 CUDA Cores, 450 Core,
                1080 Shader/1GB GDDR3 Dedicated VRAM)

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

And now, The important part. If i create a new project and start working with it it goes fine. But if i re-open the project it crashes. I am using mp4 videos and mp3 sound clips in the project.

• 5. Re: Problem with Nvidia GPU.
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That is pretty weak to edit that source material. Slow CPU, not enough memory, below minimum requirements on disks, don't know about the screen resolution which you did not mention, intergrated video chip. All combined a far from ideal platform. You may have to disable the integrated video in the BIOS permanently in order to get the nVidia working, but even then, you will have a very difficult time editing anything on that system.