6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 11:23 AM by alexdejesus

PPBM Output Results

alexdejesus Level 1

In the Output.txt produced by the benchmark, my results are: 466, 122, 74, 7/132. I am assuming they are AVI, H.264, DVD, and render test MPE/Software Only in that order, correct?

• 1. Re: PPBM Output Results
          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, those scores would be "AVI", "MPEG-2 DVD", "H.264 Blu-ray" and "MPE On/Off", respectively, You had the middle two switched around.

In any event, those scores look typical for a non-overclocked i7-2600K with 16GB of RAM running CS5.5 except for the pathetically slow AVI time of 466 seconds. For a non-overclocked i7-2600 equipped with 16GB of RAM, a fast RAID 0 hard drive pair and running CS5.5, that score should have been around 70 seconds instead of the 466 seconds that your system attained. This means that something in your system needs more tuning: The molasses-slow AVI time indicates that either you did not set up Premiere Pro properly (by default, the program sends everything to the OS drive) or you have way too many processes running in the background. In addition, the software-only export/render time is about 50 percent slower than it should have been because you more than likely have way too many background processes going on in your system.

With that said, my system has all background processes going on and was still able to achieve a 73-second time in AVI and a 90-second time in software-only render/export (and that was with a previous-generation, reference GTX 470).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PPBM Output Results
            alexdejesus Level 1

Thanks for that RjL. The system seemed to hang for a bit during the avi portion as the AME time counter quit running. It also took a bit of time for AME to actually start the queue. Will run it a few more times tomorrow - definitely need to fix whatever problems while still stock.

• 3. Re: PPBM Output Results
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI score of 463 seconds is a very high disk intensive score.  Have you turned off indexing on your disk drives?  If I remember right you have a Matrox card which will drive that score very high.

• 4. Re: PPBM Output Results
                alexdejesus Level 1

First of all, I had the wrong BIOS. version 1502 is not for this ASUS motherboard. I downloaded the correct BIOS from ASUS: 1704 dated 06/08/11. It didn't make a difference in testing, though.

Indexing was on. I turned it off for all the drives, including the system drive. Write caching remains on, correct?

I performed the PPBM again - got same results. I noticed from the resource monitor that four of the CPUs were "parked" during the AME encoding. Must be the BIOS default settings.

I removed the Matrox card and did the test. That 463 seconds improved to 113 on the avi portion with no improvements on the rest. MPE off/on went from 6 to 766.

I am working with stock settings. Now that I have somewhat normal numbers, I will work on OC'ing

Results so far:

Test 1 Drive H:
                "466","122","74","7/132"

After BIOS change
                "456","120","72","7/96"

After turn off indexing:
                "458","119","72","7"

After removing Matrox:
                "130","118","73","6/766"

Message was edited by: percoplus

• 5. Re: PPBM Output Results
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suspect that your MPE score of 766 seconds is an error.  it should be close to the 96 that you got earlier.  Maybe you did not remove the existing Preview files.

• 6. Re: PPBM Output Results
                    alexdejesus Level 1

AVI, MP2-DVD, H264-BluRay, MPE On/Off

Test 1 Drive H:
                    "466","122","74","7/132"

After BIOS change to 1704
                    "456","120","72","7/96"

After turn off indexing:
                    "458","119","72","7"

After removing Matrox:
                    "130","118","73","6/766"

Retest Monday AM:
                    "110","120","72","6/95"

Retest 2 Monday:
                    "108","119","72","6/96"

So, the Matrox affected the AVI score most. However, I think it renders everything to its own AVI format (in a Matrox sequence) so I would have to test that separately.