13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 8:51 AM by John T Smith RSS

Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

tfi productions 44 Community Member

hello,

i am posting here because i need an answer fast by an employee in the know

(the last similar post was moved to 'hardware' but 'hardware' doesn't seem to get as much traffic)

I want to set up 3 displays on a win 7 pc and PPRO cs5 5.03

i tried a quadro 4000 and a geforce 9800gt but PPRO didn't like it

(AE and photoshop didn't seem to mind though which was interesting)

so that last poster to my other thread said to use 2 identical gpus:

so i'm inclined to get another quadro 4000

but would like more info:

will PPRO cs5 5.03 work with 2 identical quadro 4000 gpus?

thanks in advance,

jefffrey

• 1. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?
          Pharther Phurther Community Member

or will it work with two identical Nvidia 285 GTX PCI cards? ( Mac OS X )

• 3. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

hello,

i do not plan on using sli to connect the gpu's

any other helpful info out there please?

thanks,

jeffrey

• 4. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?
              RjL190365 Community Member

I'm sorry to state this, but no version of Premiere Pro uses more than one single GPU. Period. This means that the second GPU goes completely unused except to provide support for additional monitors. The one GPU that Premiere Pro uses for MPE GPU acceleration is the one that's set to primary, usually the card that's installed in the primary PCI-e x16 slot.

In addition, 5.0.3 did not like the combination of your two different GPUs because the drivers for the two GPUs conflict with one another (specifically, the Quadro drivers won't work at all with unhacked GeForce cards while the GeForce drivers won't work with unhacked Quadros, and the two drivers caused compatibility conflicts with one another).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 5. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

hello RjL,

i'm not looking to gain any type of benefit form the 2nd gpu

except that i can run more monitors to spread out the PPRO panels

i understand that there is no advantage

however, in your knowledge, can i effectively run ppro cs5 5.03

with 2 quadro 4000s (while only benefiting with 1 gpu for PPRO's MPE)?

thanks a lot,

jeffrey

• 6. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

hello,

i just installed an indentical quadro 4000

and after adjusting to 'turn off' the cuda processing on

the 2nd card (from within the nvidia control panel)

PPRO cs5 5.03 win 7 works deliciously...

thanks for all who helped out

and may the force continue to be with you,

jeffrey

• 7. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?
                    Pharther Phurther Community Member

So in theory two identical GeForce 285 GTX PCI cards may work .... hmmmmm....

• 8. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?
                      John T Smith CommunityMVP

>adjusting to 'turn off' the cuda processing on the 2nd card (from within the nvidia control panel) 

IF, of course, the nVidia driver for the the 285 has the option of turning cuda off for the 2nd card

• 9. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

hello,

i agree with john:

you need to make sure you can tweak

global settings in the 'performance monitor' of the nvidia control panel

if you can't deselect cards then it's probably a bust

i bought the 2nd card knowing that i could get my money back

if it didn't work: so i experimented and it worked...

hopefully all will work out with others duplicating cards...

it is really cool to have access to 4 monitors now

it's like you have to work at filling up the 4th one with something valid

otherwise it's like a blank screen patiently waiting...

thanks,

jeffrey

• 10. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

>really cool to have access to 4 monitors now

I used to have a 24" monitor on my (home hobbyist) computer... until my wife wanted to "test" have dual monitors connected

Once she had both running (well... once **I** had both running on her computer) she wouldn't give me back my "test" unit

Since I don't physically have room on my desk for 2 monitors... I went out and bought a 27" model (not at home, I think it's a Samsung)

She's happy, and I got to buy the biggest monitor that will fit in my corner workstation

If I wanted to, I could now actually watch a movie on my computer

• 11. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

hello John,

this probably belongs in the video lounge

about now, but would it not be interesting to take bets

from forum members on about how long it takes your wife

to want to swap back your 24" monitor for the new 27"...

thanks again for the help,

j

• 12. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

hello all,

fyi

it seems like the nvidia control panel that allows you to

specify which gpu to use for cuda in the global settings panel

is dismantled after quadro version 267.79

the 2nd quadro was overheating so i moved it up a slot in the case

but the had to reinstall all the drivers

i went with the 275.xx most recent and the nvidia control panel interface had changed

(i think) (it gets confusing after awhile)

however, once i installed the 267.79 drivers with NVIEW

everything started up sweetly and we are back in busybusines

have a nice night,

j

• 13. Re: Will PPRO CS5 5.03 work with 2 identical GPU's?

>want to swap back your 24" monitor for the new 27"...

No bets... she does NOT do anything more complicated than pushing the power button on the front of the computer, so I would have to be the one to do a monitor switch... and I won't

As for your problem with the nVidia driver version, this seems to be a fairly common thing with BOTH nVidia and ATI... where different driver versions have different features

My 1st editing computer was a Jan 2002 Alienware (before they were bought out) Pentium 3 with an nVidia card and Premiere 6

I found via doing an update, and then having to roll back to a previous driver, that P6 would properly work only with ONE specific nVidia driver... any older or newer version and P6 would not work properly (been a long time since that computer was replaced, so I don't remember details)

Now that you have everything working the way you want... make a drive backup to USB hard drive so you can restore everything if needed

Hardware crashes or virus infections happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
                                This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
                                The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                                Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
                                Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up