17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 6:08 PM by sjdik

Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9

sjdik Level 1

I made a cinematic slideshow in Premiere Elements 9 and then wanted to burn it to a DVD.  It reached 99% then I received this message:

.\Vobulator\BlockPlanner\BlockPlanner.cpp,line215

The DVD was ejected without completing the burn process.  What do I do?

• 1. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading... (may or may not help... but more details would help)

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems
          Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
          And #4 Here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558?tstart=0
          And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641?tstart=0

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
          Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0
          #2 here has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390
          Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The Vobulator is the Sonic AuthorCore module (PrE's authoring functions are built around these, and what we see is an abstraction layer), is what puts everything together - the Menus, navigation and then the Transcoded MPEG-2 files, which will often span several VOB's.

It sounds like something in your navigation, or your Menus, is not up to spec., and the Vobulator is choking on it.

Do you have a Stop Marker at the end of your Timeline? If so, remove that. If you do not have a Stop Marker at the end, then something else is wrong with the navigation. As PrE does most of the navigation in a semi-automatic mode, it usually gets things right. If you have no success, then post the full details of your Timeline - a screen-cap, showing all Markers would be useful. I would also Burn to Folder to test (note: not available for BD), and play that in a DVD software player. If all works fine there, you can use the great burning utility, ImgBurn to do the physical burn from the VIDEO_TS file.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
              sjdik Level 1

I did have a stop marker at the end of my timeline, so I removed it.  I also shortened my titles and removed special characters as was suggested as another possible problem.  I began the burn process and at some point, Premier Elements suddenly just closed with no error messages.  So I tried again.  This time, as I was burning, it proceeded to encode menu 1 of 2, then 2 of 2, then it began encoding media, then compiling media. At 99% completion, I again got the message:

Internal software error:  .\Vobulator\BlockPlanner\BlockPlanner.ccp,line215  and the DVD was ejected.

I would post a screen-cap, but don't know how to obtain that. I have burned to a folder in the past, and it transfered fine, but the beginning menu and ending credits that I created in Premier Elements were not included.

• 4. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one method of doing SCREEN-CAPS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                  sjdik Level 1

image002.jpg image002.jpg

Thank you for your patience in helping a beginner!    Is this what you need?                                                                                                                                                     

• 6. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With both a DVD and BD, the Video is what it's all about. You have more Audio, than Video on that Timeline. If you want the Video to end, before the Audio, then just go to the New Icon (in the Project Panel) and create Black Video. Place that on the Timeline, and extend its Duration, until it covers all of the Audio. I will always have ~ 01 sec. more Video, than Audio.

Probelms can also happen, when one has a gap in the Video, within the Timeline.

That was all that jumped out at me, and thank you for the screen-cap.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                      sjdik Level 1

Is it significant that the encoding of Menu 1 of 2 goes just to 99% instead of 100% as does encoding menu 2 of 2?  The encoding of Menu 2 got stuck at 99% and went no further.

• 8. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of questions on the Menus:

• Do you have a Motion Background?
                        • All Menus?
                        • If so, what is the Duration?
                        • What is the format?
                        • Do you have Audio on the Menu?
                        • All Menus?
                        • If so, what is the Duration?
                        • What is the forma?
                        • Any differences, that you can think of with those Menus?
                        • Which Menu Set template did you choose?
                        • Do you have a Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline? If so, remove that. (Did not see one in the screen-cap)

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                          sjdik Level 1

Here is a screen-cap so you can see my menus. ( I also used the toy train at the end for closing credits.)  I did not use motion menu buttons.  I have music playing during the menus for about 29.29 seconds (don't know how to tell for sure) or until a selection is made.  I made the project in Premiere Elements 4 and had trouble burning then, too.  It was suggested that there was a problem with the writing part of Premiere Elements 4.  This is my first time using Premiere Elements 9.  When I burned it in PreE4, it didn't burn past 94%.  I just happen to play in some players, but not others.  I took out the stop marker at the end of the timeline.

image002.jpg

• 10. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that screen-cap.

I do not see any Stop Marker at the end, which is good.

What is the format of that Audio Clip, used in the Menus?

From what I remember, there is a 30 sec. limit on any Menu Motion Assets (Video, or Audio), but will research that. What happens if you omit the Audio Asset from the Menu? Unfortunately, I do most of my authoring in Encore, and it has far fewer limits, than does the authoring capabilities of PrE.

[Edit] Well, not really "research," but looking at the Duration of the MP3's that ship with PrE 4.0 for use in Menus, it appears that it's right at 23 sec.

Maybe others will see something that I am just missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 11. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                              sjdik Level 1

I recall reading somewhere that the limit is 30 seconds also.  The audio is MP3.  I'm thinking that perhaps I should use all that I have learned so far to make another sldeshow and try to burn it just to see what happens.  There might be something wrong somewhere in this one that we just can't find.  I do wonder, though, if there is something on my computer that is interfering with PreE.  I'm thinking of the articles about Roxio, which came preinstalled on my computer.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I burned the slideshow to a folder which I was able to play, but the Toy Train menus were missing...so sad.

• 12. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, the included Library Menu Audio Assets in PrE are MP3, but that format has been known to cause issues. Obviously, the included ones should be trouble free, but who knows? If that MP3 was not from the PrE Library, I would use an audio-editing program, like the great, free Audacity, to convert it to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and try with that WAV file.

I went to an older ARTICLE on adjusting Audio & Video in a PrE Menu set, and if my research was correct, when I did that, the 30 sec.limit is correct.

Let us know if that works better, and good luck,

Hunt

BTW - when you Preview the Menus, does that Audio play properly?

• 13. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                                  sjdik Level 1

Thank you for another suggestion.  I will try that next.  I have to say...I am sure learning a lot from you!  The MP3 that I included was not from the PrE library.  The audio in th preview works perfectly with the menus. The video plays slow and is a bit sluggish and kind of stalls, but the audio keeps playing just fine. 

• 14. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The audio in the preview works perfectly with the menus. The video plays slow and is a bit sluggish and kind of stalls, but the audio keeps playing just fine.

Just to make sure that I am on the same page, as you, here we are talking about Video in the Menus, right? These would be Motion Menus and have both a Video "background" and also Audio.

If that is correct, I have a few questions, and did not see the answers up-thread.

What is the format/CODEC of the Video Motion background?

Does its Duration match that of the Audio perfectly? If not, I would suggest that you do that, by either editing the Video file to match the Audio, or vice-versa. I would keep that Duration < 30 sec, but matching.

For doing Motion Menus, this is my workflow:

1. I create a New Sequence in PrPro, where you would create a New Project in PrE.
                                    2. Import my Audio & Video.
                                    3. Drag each to the Timeline
                                    4. Edit to less than 30 sec., as is needed. Note: this is where I adjust my Audio Levels, and like for Menu music to be ~ -12 to - 18 dB, but I set those by ear, with only a quick glance at my Meters. I do not like loud Menu Audio, as I feel that it should be nothing but background.
                                    5. Export/Share to elemental streams, i.e. one DV-AVI Video-only file and one PCM/WAV Audio-only file @ 48KHz 16-bit. Note: I am on a PC, so these exact recs. are for the PC. On a Mac, one would choose MOV, and probably a CODEC like Animation, but still do elemental streams, so the MOV would have no Audio - it would be only the Video stream.
                                    6. Then back in the Project, where I plan to use those, just Import and use for my Motion Menu backgroun and Audio

Not sure how that workflow will work for you, but it ends up creating Menus very similar to those in the Library, though Adobe might well have changed their Video format to something like MOV, especially since PrE has gone X-platform with PrE 9. In Encore, the authoring app. with PrPro, Adobe went from WMV for the Video Assets to M2v, as of PrPro/Encore CS3, when PrPro/Encore went X-platform. Still, on a PC, nothing works better than a Video-only DV-AVI that matches the Menu (and the Project, where the Menu is used) in both the pixel x pixel dimensions (the Aspect Ratio) and also in the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), which determines whether one has Standard, 4:3, or Widescreen, 16:9. Though I use Encore, where everything is done "by hand," the modules of that program are the same as those in PrE, and I have never had any issues.

I have found that if I feed the authoring program just what it wants and needs, and take any extra processing load off of it, things work better. Matter of fact, though I do not always do Motion Menus, but always have music on them, I have never had one error over all the years. So far, things have always worked perfectly, and hope that they do for you too.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I could not find that I linked to this ARTICLE, but if I already have, I apologize.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                                        sjdik Level 1

No, sorry.  I was referring to the entire video beyond the menu.  In the preview, the audio for the both the menu and the video project works well, but the video in the project previews slowly and stalls while the audio keeps playing.  I do not have a motion menu.  I am on a PC as opposed to a Mac as well.  I'm wondering if you think the audio in the menu might be a problem, would it be wise to remove it and then try to burn the project to DVD again?

• 17. Re: Burning issue with Premiere Elements 9
                                          sjdik Level 1

You didn't...thanks for the info!