7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2011 7:33 PM by Jim_Simon

Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7

Mike D Kelley Level 1

I have a fairly fast quad-core i7 Win 7 64bit machine with 12GB RAM and primarily use Premiere as an editor for our animated series.  We render 1280x720 30 fps bmp sequences (not interlaced just progressive), which I then import along with the .WAV audio files.  We need to line up sound FX and other editing considerations, but playback on the machine is way too jerky to properly time things.

I assumed this might be improved with PP 5.5 (I have been using PP 2.0 for ever, since it met my needs) but the trial does not reveal that to be the case.  I can, of course, render out to uncompressed AVI sequences to then retime things and that's what I've been doing in PP 2.0, but if that's what I have to do there is little advantage in me upgrading to 5.5.

Is this just the way it is?  I would have thought my machine specs to be adequate to this task, but perhaps not and I'll just have to live with the older program.  Or is there something I should enable to make it work better (I've tried everything I can think of in the program but nothing seems to improve it -- quite frankly, the playback is just as slow as it is on my much older dual-core XP box, also running Premiere 2.0)

• 1. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

You don't mention your HDD setup.
          A slow media drive can kill playback of large image sequences.

I can, of course, render out to uncompressed AVI sequences to then retime things...

You can render the preview for the sequence in the timeline

(turn the yellow or red bar to green) instead of exporting to .avi.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Also is your system tuned?  How many processes are running when you go to Task Manager/Processes tab and check show all processes.  I imagine that you probably are running an Antivirus and/or several other processes that might be consuming valuable CPU cycles.  Also when we know your disk drive situation do you have indexing turned off?

• 3. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
              Mike D Kelley Level 1

Thanks for the responses, guys.

The disc drives are all SATA AV drives with as high a throughput as is reasonably possible.  I had not turned off indexing but I tried that on one drive and it didn't seem to help any (I really couldn't tell any differences).

Yes, of course I have an AV program running, as does anyone nowadays, but with 99.9% of the CPU cycles available I doubt whether it's slowing things down.  When looking at all the cores in Process Explorer, for example, they are nearly as flatline as anything could be.  But if you're suggesting I need to dump any AV as well as, say, even a browser window open to work in Premiere, I'd say it isn't worth it.

That leaves rendering the timeline which, of course, I can do even in 2.0.  I assume the work files involved are at least smaller than rendering out the uncompressed AVIs so that is one advantage, although obviously render times are a PITA compared to timeline playback.  But if that's state of the art nowadays (that is, if most *reasonable* modern systems aren't capable of handing this kind of playback) then so be it.  There's not a real compelling reason for me to upgrade now, then, but that's okay as well.

And, again, I do appreciate the attempt to help (I just wish my system could do this.  Sigh).

• 4. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
                joe bloe premiere Level 5

The best way to test your system's performance, and compare
                your results and hardware setup to other high performance systems
                is with the Premiere Pro Benchmark for CS5.

http://ppbm5.com/

You should also check out these very informative videos:

After Effects & Premiere Pro Performance Workshop

Optimize Your Tools and System for Maximum Speed

• 5. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Yes, of course I have an AV program running, as does anyone nowadays

Not on a production rig.  You'll probably find that very uncommon (and not recommended).

• 6. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
                    Mike D Kelley Level 1

Well, let's just say we agree to disagree (for example, even Premiere requires/encourages an internet connection, if nothing more than to validate the program).  In the old studio days, with machines isolated from the outside, I would definitely agree not to have AV or any internet connections at all but I'm afraid that's not the way it is now (my Max machine, for example, is not hooked to the internet but it doesn't require any internet validation for anything).

In any case, I doubt whether running an AV would cause any sort of stuttering I'm seeing here -- mostly likely it's just that I don't have one of the highest end systems (I can see by the benchmarks that while I have an i7 box that's fairly high end for most users, it is in no where the top of the line when it comes to editing systems).  If that's what's required for full HD work I guess I'll just have to make do with my workflow with Premiere 2.0, given that I'm retired and our animation series is a labor of love and not profit.  Thanks to all who helped make up my mind about the 5.5 trial here.

• 7. Re: Playback of HD bmp sequences too slow on quad core i7
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

You shouldn't be doing anything that's risky on a production rig that might require protection.  Use another computer for that stuff.