7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2011 10:25 PM by Rick Gerard

Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits

jmm2255 Level 1

Hello fellow Adobe Creative Suites users. I am a complete novice, and just downloaded the trial version. I must confess that I am not very tech savvy, and I am also having some difficulty finding the key information I am looking for, especially without the benefit of a hard copy book to study, although I will now check Amazon to see if any manuals are available. I am an O.K. trial and error button pusher, when I have enough of a foundation to work with.

In short, the first skill I want to learn is constructing a simple credit sequence. I want a few lines of white text to fade into the black background screen view, then have the lines start scrolling upward, with new lines appearing from the bottom of the screen rolling upward, and I would like to add some music that would be in the form of wav. files, and would start at some point in the middle of the say 30 second sequence.

So far, I can add text to the screen view, and manipulate font size and style, but that is about it. Any clues as to the commands that would facilitate the text fade in, then commencing the roll upward, and adding music would be very much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Start here to learn After Effects.

That page points to several video tutorial series and books, as well as the After Effects Help document.

Just go through the resources in the order given here, and you'll have what you need.

• 2. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
            jmm2255 Level 1

Hello Todd,

While I appreciate the reply, I must confess that a simple redirect to tutorials is not the answer I was hoping for. I mean otherwise why bother having a forum, because surely every question can be answered somewhere on Adobe's website or help files. I need more specific clues that looks something like to do the task you outlined, highlight text, select command X, enters value, etc.

Indeed, ground zero users like me who are overwhelmed with the sophistication of such a program need a different kind of help. It may not be forthcoming, but I will struggle on regardless.

• 3. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You began by saying that you were a novice looking for some books and not knowing where to get started. I pointed you to a page that recommnends and links to excerpts from some excellent books and tells you where to get started.

Also, the first text tutorial linked to from that page shows how to animate a text layer, which is what you asked to learn how to do.

• 4. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
                jmm2255 Level 1

I began with a very specific request for particular commands, and outlined in clear detail the exact task I wanted to perform. Now you are free to respond in any way you like, but my request could not be less ambiguous or different than what you just said. If it were another subject of which I am familiar, and if someone asked me the question I did:

"Any clues as to the commands that would facilitate the text fade in, then commencing the roll upward, and adding music would be very much appreciated."

I would try to respond with specific command information.

In addition, I did not ask for info on books, I said I would look myself to see if there were hardcopy books available. Some of us are not good with online or on screen help. It is the method of delivery. Nothing beats a good old book for learning.

And one last point, I watched the video you allude to in entirety, and it blisters through a few functions in a far too general way to have any idea how to have text fade in and then proceed to roll up.

• 5. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here are the specific commands and I hope that you don't think that I'm being rude.

Set a position keyframe: Alt/Option + p

Set a opacity keyframe: Alt/Option + t

Call up the type tool: Cmnd/Ctrl + t with your cursor over the Composition window.

Step 1.

Click in the type window and type you credits so they look like this:

Credit 1

Credit 2

Credit 3

Credit 4

Set the font, the color, the size, etc using the character palette.

Choose the direct selection tool by choosing the first tool in the toolbar and then select the type layer and move it to the bottom of the composition window. Set a position keyframe.

Set an opacity keyframe, adjust the value in the timeline to 0.

Move down the timeline a few frames and adjust the opacity to 100. A keyframe will automatically be set.

Move down the timeline a few seconds and then select the type layer and drag it to it's final position. A new position keyframe will automatically be set.

Set a opacity keyframe.

Move down the timeline a few frames and adjust the opacity value in the timeline to 0.

These are the most basic animation skills and they are covered with great detail in the resources Todd gave you. You stated in your request for a specific set of details. In the time it took to write the responses you could have read the getting started. Adding music is just a matter of adding a music clip to the timeline and positioning it. Again, this is covered in the basics.

Learning After Effects is a lot of work. Getting to be good with AE is a lot more. If you are not willing to spend the time to dive into the explanations given in the getting started sections then I hold out very little hope of you mastering anything.

Ok I'm old, I have gray hair, or rather the hair that I have left is gray. And I'm talking a little like an impatient dad right now so please forgive me, but get off your butt and spend 20 minutes with the getting started files. You'll be on your way. Your other option is to wait for someone to take you by the hand and lead you like a child. It's only because I am a dad, and I've raised a car full of kids that I have the patience to give you about 15 minutes of my time to type out this explanation. If you were a client it would have cost you $40, (actually it's Saturday night after 9 so it would have cost you $80) so don't take offense, go to work.

• 6. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
                    jmm2255 Level 1

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I checked back in because I was just about to tell Todd that movie making is fun! Some empirical button pushing netted me not only font fade in, but credits rolling upward too. Now I will study your post in greater detail in a few minutes, to see if or how it might differ from what I did, and to take whatever else I can from it, but with respect to your closing remarks, I agree, somewhat. The first 10% of learning of any new skill is the most difficult and trying for the novice, and it is apt to manifest as the appearance of impatience. Having said that, I do stand by my initial bit of disappointment with Todd's simple redirection, and remain of the opinion that many tutorials (not necessarily Adobe's) are not as clearly written or presented as they could be. Your response has the exact appearance of what I was hoping for, as a kick start in the right direction. Thanks again.

Will I be able to use After Effects for adding music to my credits (or title) or will I have to use some other program within the Creation Suites? My guess is that I will have to use some other program like Premier Pro, but would be grateful to have this clarified.

• 7. Re: Greetings, and a request for insight into executing credits
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't create music in AE, and AE is only really good for trimming the in and out points of a music track.

Please, spend a half hour going through the AE basics.