4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 9:09 AM by Mylenium

After Effects BSOD Problems

Fireadept680

I've recenetly installed AE onto my new computer for some current projects and after awhile it will Blue Screen my computer. It's not the specs on my comp that are the problem and as far as i see all my drivers are up to date. Would anyone have any reasons to why all of a sudden its been crashing my computer?

]

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: After Effects BSOD Problems
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We need to know a lot more if we're going to help you.

What version of After Effects? Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? What kind(s) of source footage? What were you doing when the problem occurred? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you rendering with OpenGL? Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

• 2. Re: After Effects BSOD Problems
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            It's not the specs on my comp that are the problem and as far as i see all my drivers are up to date.

Never ever ever say that! If you get BSODs, then something is wrong and prematurely excluding hardware or driver issues is just not smart. You could have some silly issue with your graphics card's or CPUs thermal sensor and then the machine conks out because of overheating at some point... So for what it's worth, simply provide the specs along with the settings you are using in AE plus also potentially info about third-party stuff that may be involved like Quicktime or specific CoDecs and we will try to provide further assistance....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects BSOD Problems
              Fireadept680 Level 1

AE CS5, Windows Seven, HD footage, or i'd just practice with some avi footage to test try effects. As far as what i was doing i was just running the program and i can work in it awhile before it actually crashes on me. I know its something to do with AE because i've never had a BSOD until i put my AE back on here. I took it off and haven't had any problems since and that's what's disappointing me. I haven't been running any other software besides AE when i'm working in it so i have nothing going in the background. I had the Red Giant Software package installed at the time to use the different effects such as particular, trapcode, starglow.. etc.

Ram:8 Gigs

Hard Drive:1Tb

Graphics Card:AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Motherboard CPU Type:HexaCore, 4000 MHz

• 4. Re: After Effects BSOD Problems
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Do you have OpenGL enabled? Do you use the disk cache? Crashes after a while of doing nothing are very much an indicator for either

1. your graphics card RAM filling up and never getting flushed
                2. the card (incorrectly) running full throttle all the time wit hAE open and indeed overheating
                3. the disk cache getting full and/or AE being unable to access it
                4. your system doing something with energy saving and AE again being unable to access the disk cache or certain power saving options turning off parts of the graphics card

I would look into those things and especially take a note of which is actually the faulting module on the BSOD or your system event log...

Mylenium