16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 3:37 AM by Metronome Post

Seriously, 1024 cores now only half

mathewlisett Level 1

Ok, so i was looking to get the gtx590 due to the cores etc, thinking the fact premiere pro uses cuda and the benefits.

and then i heard on the forum somewhere that it doesnt actually use both gpu's and therefore will only use half of the 1024 cores.

am i going to waste my money on a card that should give massive performance boasts, and why if this s true has adobe refused to not accept all the gpus'

• 1. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe does not work with dual GPU's. Period. That means a dual GPU card like the 590 will only be used at 50% of its capacity and then will be slower than the 580 at a much higher price.

• 2. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe we could see something like that in CS6 if were of any value.  Of course by then maybe nVidia will be a 1024 CUDA cores on a single board

MPE-Study-2.jpg.

And forget about "massive" performance increases.

• 3. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
              mathewlisett Level 1

ok so instead of saying "period" as if i should just accept that reply and shut up lol.

explain WHY adobe wont use both gpu's, i can not see why wouldnt use both gpu's as surely it would an advantage to the process.

• 4. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I suggest you ask Adobe engineers to answer that for you. All we users know is that it is not supported and one would assume they have their reasons. But given the fact that even a simple 560 is not taxed to the max when using CUDA, you may see only a 40% GPU load on complex timelines, it seems fair to assume that it would not be their first priority to support dual GPU's, but rather get more effects and transitions into the hardware MPE supported area and to improve the quality and speed of the supported ones. Then the next step would normally be to increase the number of supported cards, as they have done very clearly with CS5.5.

What CS-Next will bring is exactly as Doris Day said: "Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be, the future is not ours to see..."

• 5. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, Adobe could support dual GPUs - but currently, this can't be done at the expense of breaking compatibility of all of the single-GPU cards that are currently supported. In other words, if they did support dual GPUs, both GPUs would have been required to even use GPU acceleration at all while all single-GPU cards (including all of the Quadros) would then become permanently stuck in software-only MPE mode.

• 6. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                    mathewlisett Level 1

so what your sayign here i think, is that dual gpu cards cant be used, but if the user had 2 seperate gpu's then it would work?

• 7. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                      RjL190365 Level 4

As I tried to state, even two separate GPUs is iffy when it comes to compatibility with Premiere Pro at all. Even with two separate cards each using the same GPU, Premiere Pro will only see the one that's configured as the primary card. The problem with the GTX 590 is that it actually consists of two GPUs linked via an internal SLI connection in the same processor package. You cannot defeat the SLI at all on these dual-GPU cards. And since Premiere Pro does not support two GPUs simultaneously to begin with, Premiere will only see "half" of the GTX 590 (or one of the two GPUs).

• 8. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Do you have a heavily overclocked i7-990X, say to 4.5 GHz, 24 GB DDR3-2000+ RAM and at least a couple of disk arrays that support and deliver 1000+ MB/s sustained transfer rates? If all the answers are yes, then you still would not benefit from a 590 over a 580 and a feature request may be meaningful, but if any of the earlier questions does not apply, it becomes utterly meaningless, because of your other system bottlenecks.

• 9. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                          mathewlisett Level 1

The whole reason ive brought this up, is becuase i remmber the whole rave about cuda making the rendering of a project and the playback real time with the cuda cores, and the more cores that wa there the faster it would be. so it just seemed odd that a card would come out that would amaze most due to 1024 cores, and yet it seems PP can only seemingly handle half of it.

• 10. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                            RjL190365 Level 4

If you take a good look at Bill's table above (which was done with 5.0.3), you'll find that there is very little practical difference in performance between a GTX 550 Ti (with only 192 CUDA cores) and a GTX 580 (with 512 CUDA cores) - but the GTX 580 costs three times more than a GTX 550 Ti - and that's with a stock-speed i7-980X with 24GB of RAM. This means that the returns in performance improvement in CS5.x starts to diminish at about 128 or so cores.

In other words, even if CS5.x can use 1024 cores, the program's performance scales rather poorly at this upper end of the core range. This means that everything else being equal, a 1024-core GPU would have provided virtually zero performance improvement over a GPU with only 480 cores.

And as I stated earlier, the GTX 590 is actually two GPUs, connected by SLI internally, in one package - but CS5.x supports only one single GPU. As such, CS5.x can see only one of the two GPUs on that GTX 590 card - one that has as many cores as the GTX 580, but running at a significantly slower clock speed than either the GTX 580 or the 480-core GTX 570 (in fact, the GTX 590 core runs at exactly the same clock speed as the old GTX 470 from last year). And if Adobe had decided to support dual or two GPUs simultaneously, it would have resulted in either a severely stripped-down program (almost to the level of Premiere Elements) at the current retail price or a program that costs about triple the price that it currently retails for (i.e. $3,000 instead of $800) or a program that breaks compatibility with all current single-GPU cards and single-GPU systems.

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 11. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ask Adobe as most of poor peon's us here on the forum don't have any influence with what they do or don't do.  If you really think it important turn in a feature request.  But as anyone can see from the data they have reached a point of diminishing returns

• 12. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                                mathewlisett Level 1

ok so if that isnt posisble, what are the "top" specs if going the intel router, from memory cpu hdd / ssd

and if any card would be good, what would it be and why considering cuda does have limits..

• 13. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  the "top" specs if going the intel router

Intel is not advisable. Better go to a HP managed router in the ProCurve range, or was that not the question?

• 14. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                                    mathewlisett Level 1

my appoligise thats my duslexia at fault there it should have said "route" as in down the intel path of hardware

• 15. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Intel Quicksync only works with AVC/H264 exports right now. It does not work with the realtime playback. It would also only accelerate the H264 exports that the preset options allow for the Quicksync. That is far to limited for most people.

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: Seriously, 1024 cores now only half
                                        Metronome Post

Actually you wont see any of the cores. The 590 isn't supported and you will be faced with CPU only rendering, just tried it out yesterday here. There's another thread about it in the forum,