12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 9:06 AM by John Hawkinson

7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"

LarryMcMunn

I have added a Lion parttion to my 10.6.8 boot disk. In Lion, I can't acces any Adobe programs from the 10.6 volume. Most other apps I have checked do run when called.

So, I installed 5.5 on that partition, and get this message when I try to update 5.5 -- "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28". 10.6.8 volume has the 7.5.1 update applied. Now, 5.5 in Lion tells me that there is a missing plugin, so I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling 5.5 three times to run the updater, and get this message each time.

I have not been able to find a reference ot this message in any of the Help.

Thanks to anyone with a hint as to what's going on.

• 1. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As a long-time beta tester of InDesign and other Creative Suite products, I can tell you that, when working with beta software, incompatibilities and unexpected problems are the norm.

Apple only released the golden master for Lion in the past week or so. The 7.5.1 updater was not tested under the version of Lion that you're using.

As a beta tester, I usually try to isolate my production computer from my testing computer. If you really need to use InDesign CS5.5, boot back into Snow Leopard.

Usually when a new OS is released, and only then, because it's totally fluid until then, Adobe will do testing and will release a tech document about what problems you might run into with different CS products. Then they will create any patches necessary to fix problems. Sometimes the new OS software itself needs to be patched. Even thought Lion may be golden master, it has bugs that have not yet been fixed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
            John Hawkinson Level 5

I suspect the source of your problem is that Adobe programs install many files not only in /Applications/Adobe Whatever, but also in /Library, such as /Library/Application Support/Adobe.

If you switch boot volumes and thus switch /Library, InDesign won't find what it is looking for there and will fail.

Perhaps.

1 person found this helpful
            • 5. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know how you posted but nothing came through on both of your replies. You might go through the web interface if you're having problems with email reply.

• 6. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
                John Hawkinson Level 5

Larry, I assume you're aware that your last two posts came out blank.

Perhaps you should use the web interface.

• 7. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
                  LarryMcMunn Level 1

Thanks Steve & John. I'm trying this test. Mail was set for Rich Text. I have changed it to Plain Text for a test, and watching the Web page.

• 9. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
                    LarryMcMunn Level 1

On Jul 10, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Steve Werner wrote:

I don't know how you posted but nothing came through on both of your replies. You might go through the web interface if you're having problems with email reply.

Looks like Rich Text was the culprit. Looks like something else. The test in Plain text came through, but the real reply didn't.

Here's the content from the earlier replies. And thanks again, guys, for your ongoing support to the community. I recognize you both from other forums, and your input and wisdom is greatly appreciated there as well.

First reply to Steve:
                    -----------------------------------
                    On Jul 10, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Steve Werner wrote:

As a long-time beta tester of InDesign and other Creative Suite products, I can tell you that, when working with beta software, incompatibilities and unexpected problems are the norm.
                    Apple only released the golden master for Lion in the past week or so. The 7.5.1 updater was not tested under the version of Lion that you're using.
                    As a beta tester, I usually try to isolate my production computer from my testing computer. If you really need to use InDesign CS5.5, boot back into Snow Leopard.

I agree 100%. All my production work is on the Snow Leopard partition. But by the time we are ready to upgrade some workstations in a few weeks, Lion will be the installed OS. So, I have started to test our essential apps in Lion GM with copies of live production work.

Usually when a new OS is released, and only then, because it's totally fluid until then, Adobe will do testing and will release a tech document about what problems you might run into with different CS products. Then they will create any patches necessary to fix problems. Sometimes the new OS software itself needs to be patched. Even thought Lion may be golden master, it has bugs that have not yet been fixed.

100% agreement here too -- on both Adobe and Apple's sides of the matter. As a matter of fact, I feel that having been an Apple developer and a InDesign CS4,5, & 5.5 beta tester, I owe both Apple and Adobe some real world input on the impact of changes from either side's upgrades.

I just feel that an error message should say more than an error number. If it can generate that number, it should be able to look it up and give a more meaningful answer, like maybe  "File XXXX/YYYY/ZZZ.zzz could not be found."

Thanks for the quick and courteous response, especially on a weekend.

First reply to John:
                    -----------------------------------
                    On Jul 10, 2011, at 10:30 AM, John Hawkinson wrote:

I suspect the source of your problem is that Adobe programs install many files not only in /Applications/Adobe Whatever, but also in /Library, such as /Library/Application Support/Adobe.
                    If you switch boot volumes and thus switch /Library, InDesign won't find what it is looking for there and will fail.

Yes. That's why I did a full install on the Lion volume.

I just feel that an error message should say more than an error number. If it can generate that number, it should be able to look it up and give a more meaningful answer, like maybe  "File XXXX/YYYY/ZZZ.zzz could not be found."

Thanks to you as well as Steve Werner for the quick and courteous responses, especially on a weekend.

-------------------------------------------

Thanks guys, I'll have to investigate this reply problem further.

• 10. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
                      LarryMcMunn Level 1

Thanks to Steve and John, my suspicions were confirmed.

This issue will probably go away with a future software update to either Lion or CS updaters or both.

• 11. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, we're just speculating. Clearly the error should be better. If you dig hard enough, you should be able to find some logfiles. Some in /tmp, and some in /Library somewhere. There's also an Adobe Log analysis tool.

You might also find it helpful to uninstall, run the CS5 Cleaner Tool, and re-install.

You weren't quite clear about what the plugin error message was, and whether the app ever worked before updating or not. All things to investigate.

So, yeah, you can give up and wait, but you can certainly have it working too. People are successfully running InDesign under Lion, though I am not one of them.

• 12. Re: 7.5.1 update to 5.5 yields "Update is not applicable. Error Code: U44M1P28"
                          LarryMcMunn Level 1

I got a little confused and combined two separate incidents.

First, I tried opening a Snow Leopard layout in Lion 5.5. I got a message about a missing "framework...../plugin" like I have seen when accidentally trying to open a 5.5 document in CS4. So, I went back to Snow Leopard and Exported an IDML file as I would to move the file back to CS4. That file opened file in Lion 5.5.

I then realized that I had updated the 5.5 on Snow Leopard to 7.5.1, but not Lion 5.5. So I used the Help--> Updates menu to try and apply the 7.5.1 update, and that's where the error message in the subject line came in.

But otherwise, 5.5 has been performing fine in my limited testing, and most of what I am doing is building/testing Applescript workflows.