7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 10:15 AM by John T Smith

Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory

Deckst1

I use a Sony HDR-PJ10 AVCHD handicam. I import the files into a Premiere Project. I choose project settings HDV 1080i; 25 frames/sec; 1440 x 1080. The clips load and play well, though sometimes the movements are a bit jumpy. After working on the project I export to mpeg H.264 1440x1080i25. The exported film plays perfectly in Windows mediaplayer but when I load it into Premiere again for further work the screen is blotted and a bit shaky. Am I doing something wrong? Why are there there no clear instruction about how to handle these files from Sony?

• 1. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

A couple of questions please:

What version of PrE are you using?

In your camera, are you shooting 1440 x 1080, which will be Anamorphic, and not Square Pixels?

Why did you choose an HDV Preset for the Project, when you are starting with what appears to be AVCHD 1440 x 1080 Anamorphic?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
            Deckst1 Level 1

Thanks for your fast answer.

1. I use Premiere 8

2. I was wrong in my question. I use this project setting: Pal-AVCHD-HD 1080i25

3. I don't know about Anamorphic, and not Square Pixels. I do not find anythingabout this in the camera's manual.

Kind regards

Jan

• 3. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
              the_wine_snob Level 9

3. I don't know about Anamorphic, and not Square Pixels. I do not find anythingabout this in the camera's manual.

This should be. With most 1440 x 1080, the Clips will be Anamorphic and have non-square pixels, with a PAR = 1.3333. I do not recall the full compliment of Project Presets for PrE 8. It could be that HD Anamorphic is not natively supported. If so, then if you have chosen the full HD-AVCHD 1080 Project Preset, you will have a Project with Square Pixels (PAR = 1.0), and not the 1.3333 PAR in the Anamorphic files.

I would hope that the manual goes into details on the files produced by that camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
                Deckst1 Level 1

Dear Bill

I'm still wondering.

1. I checked: the project settings in Premiere 8 say this:

Video-settings

Frame: 1440h 1080v (1,3333)

Frequency: 25,00 frames/second

Pixelrate: HD Anamorf 1080 (1,333)

2. Importing and playing the files from the camera is more or less OK.

Then I work on the film and render it to Mpg H.264 140x1080i25. When I import this file back into Premiere Elements it plays a bit shakily and with blots in the image.

Thanks for your help

Jan

• 5. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jan,

First, your material is fairly heavily compressed with the H.264 CODEC. If you edit that, and then Export/Share to another H.264 file, you are re-compressing. If you then edit that, and Export/Share again, you have added another re-compression step. The main problems that will show up will be degrading images with any motion, whether subject, or camera, and then artifacts. These problems will compound with each step, and become more and more noticeable. It's like a FAX of a FAX of a FAX. With each generation, quality goes down quickly.

If you are in need of an intermediate file, to do more editing on, about the best that you can do is use one of the lossless CODEC's, like Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless. Both are free, and both are good, but the file sizes WILL be large. Prepare for that. One would just download and install one of those CODEC's, and reboot. Then in Export/Share, they would choose MS AVI, and under Compressor, would look in the drop-down list for the Lagarith, or the UT Lossless CODEC. The file format will be .AVI, and contain the lossless CODEC. Those files will then Import into the video-editing program, with no loss in quality. This will eliminate one compression stage, and improve overall quality. The fewer compression steps, the better the final output.

Note: if one is sharing the .AVI's with either of those lossless CODEC's, then the recipient will need to have that CODEC installed, as well, or they will not be able to even play the file, much less edit it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
                    Deckst1 Level 1

Dear Bill

Thanks a lot for your help. It's a big help. I know now how to experiment further. I still think it's a shame that big companies like Sony and Adobe don't provide readymade solutions for this kind of work.

Kindest greetings

Jan

• 7. Re: Work with AVCHD is not entirely satisfactory
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Deckst1 wrote:

think it's a shame that big companies like Sony and Adobe don't provide readymade solutions for this kind of work.

>use this project setting: Pal-AVCHD-HD 1080i25

Every time a camera company comes out with a new camera, using a new CODEC, it takes time for the video editing companies to adjust

You mentioned using PreEl version 8

As far as I know, PreEl version 9 works MUCH better with AVCHD footage... as I said, video editing companies need to adjust and, in this case, Adobe wrote PreEl 9 to work better with AVCHD

I don't work for Adobe, but I will GUESS adding better AVCHD support would have required a major rewrite of the souce code for version 8 - so that was done and version 9 was issued

You might want to look into buying version 9

1 person found this helpful