10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 8:26 AM by MLP17

Text Frame

MLP17

Nio matter what I try, after I draw the text box on a page, I am unable to add

text to it. Help!

• 1. Re: Text Frame
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What else is on the page? What happens when you try to add text?

One typical reason that this happens is there is something behind the text frame, and that something has text wrap applied.

• 2. Re: Text Frame
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Or perhaps there's a very funky baseline grid setting.

Bob

• 3. Re: Text Frame
              MLP17 Level 1

I am starting with a new document and have drawn a text frame on the pa

ge, there is a red plus sign at the lower right hand corner of the text frame.

There is nothing else on the document, but the blinking cursor never appears.

I have used the program before with no problems.

• 4. Re: Text Frame
                MLP17 Level 1

I never set my baseline.

• 5. Re: Text Frame

The red plus sign indicated there is overset text. This means you text is either being forced out of the frame (with text wrap, most likely) or for some reason won't fit.

What is the size of the frame, and what is the font size listed?

Did you check the "master text frame" box in the setup dialog?

• 6. Re: Text Frame
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you post the file somewhere?

Bob

• 7. Re: Text Frame
                      MLP17 Level 1

Thanks for the information, but still nothing is working. The size of the document is 5x7; the text frame is 5x3. The font size is Times Roman 14pt so it is not excessive. I get a message from the preflight text that reads: "Overset text-1 character" when I type one letter. I have to resize the text frame way beyond the size of the book (10x7) to see the letter.  I am still in desperate need of help. It doesn't seem to matter if I have facing pages checked or not.

• 8. Re: Text Frame

This is a wild guess, but check the Keep Options for the paragraph. Is it set to Start on next even page, perhaps?

Also, check BOTH text frame indents (text frame options) AND paragraph indents to be sure they don't add up to more than the width of the frame.

• 9. Re: Text Frame
                          MLP17 Level 1

Thanks for your efforts to help me. I have finally called Adobe and they suggested I download the product again. It's strange since I have used the program before.  Doesn't make sense. I am now in the process of reloading. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Text Frame
                            MLP17 Level 1

Thanks for your help. I have contacted Adobe support and am I the process of reloading the program. Hopefully that works.