4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 2:53 PM by jmm2255

Linking three layers to scroll up simultaneously

jmm2255

I have three layers of text with modest effects. I want them to all scroll upward simultaneously. I could go in an manually set each layer to go up using the position command, but this seems tedious. Is there a way to link all three layers, so that I can set scroll position and speed for all three instead of individually?

• 2. Re: Linking three layers to scroll up simultaneously
          jmm2255 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, however, one of the very first sentences is incongruent with the required action. In that link, at line four it says:

Parenting affects all transform properties except Opacity: Position, Scale, Rotation, and (for 3D layers) Orientation

Call me crazy, but that is just about every transform property I am apt to ever use. I want to link three layers to transform position, but that page says unequivocally that position is one of the exceptions.

Also, I cannot understand the use of the colon in the sentence, but if it is meant to indicate that only opacity is excepted, and the other properties are in fact allowed, it would surely rank as one of the most poorly written sentences I have ever seen in any set of instructions.

I would be grateful if you could clarify the contradiction.

• 3. Re: Linking three layers to scroll up simultaneously
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'll rewrite the sentence for you, since the colon threw you off.

Parenting affects all transform properties except Opacity. Parenting affects Position, Rotation, Scale, and Orientation.

• 4. Re: Linking three layers to scroll up simultaneously
              jmm2255 Level 1

Ah, now I can understand the sentence. Thanks. I would like to point out one thing though, That sentence as it reads with the semicolon would throw many people off, not just me, because it is wholly incorrect. Precision of language in instructions is extremely important. One of the problems manual writers face is too much familiarity with the subject matter, which causes them to overlook certain flaws in explanation. The writer has to try to read each sentence from the vantage point of someone entirely unfamiliar with the subject.