6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 4:37 PM by nealeh

Need help with optimizing text appearance when exporting video

ernestwara

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Convert a Powerpoint presentation to an MP4 (AVC) file, frame rate 30 (actually defaults to 29.97) and video bit rate of 1200kbps,using Wondershare PPT2VideoPro.  (There are no actual video clips contained in the original PPT file).

2. Import the newly created MP4 video into a new project in Premeire Elements.

3. Add audio files (WAV) created by Audacity.

4. Export the final product as a video.

Here's the problem:

The text quality in the final exported film is very poor, and the screen occasionally seems to sublty flicker once and a while.  I've tried multiple different settings, but all with the same result.

Can anyone offer suggestions on optimal settings for exporting the final product such that the text is as clear as possible?  (The text in the MP4 file created by Wondershare looks great.)

Thanks!

- Ernest

• 1. Re: Need help with optimizing text appearance when exporting video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, converting a text-based PowerPoint presentation to an MP4 (or even to a series of TIF files) and importing that into Premiere Elements won't work. The quality of the conversion to video (or slide) is never acceptable.

You'll need to recreate the text in Premiere Elements using the titler tool.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with optimizing text appearance when exporting video
            ernestwara Level 1

Thanks.  I was afraid someone would reply something like that.

Unfortunately, I need something that will be simple and look professional, and all of the defaults in the silly title function look more appropriate for a middle school project.  It also would be unable to accomodate the text animations that my presentation requires.

Tried to create the project in Windows Movie Maker, but ended up with the same problem.

I assume I could get the result I'm looking for with After Effects, but I suspect it will take significantly more time.

• 3. Re: Need help with optimizing text appearance when exporting video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One option would be to create the Text Images in Photoshop, and Save_As a PSD.

For large sets of Titles, I do the text portion in Word/WordPerfect, so I can use Spell-Check. Then in PS, I just Copy/Paste the text into an Image, where I apply all of the PS Styles that I need. Because I use PrPro for most of my NLE work, I will often do the Titles with Layered Text, and Import those as a Sequence, so that the Layers are not Flattened. This allows me to independently animate each Layer, as I need. Unfortunately, PrE does not allow one to Import the Layered PSD's, Unflattened, as it does not have Sequences.

Also note that PrE's Titler's Styles are just a starting point. Once applied, one can alter most aspects, and when they are satisfied with the changes, they can then Save the new Style and re-use it over and over. Do not forget the ability to modify those Styles.

From PowerPoint, and this depends on the version, the best that one can usually do is to Export each "slide" as a TIFF, and Import those into the NLE program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Need help with optimizing text appearance when exporting video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ernest,

You mention animate for those text Titles. There ARE some Title Animation Presets in PrE, but there are some limitations, such as the application of the Animation Preset to one line of text only. Instead of those, I strongly recommend that one manually Keyframe the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position, and perhaps Motion>Scale too. Note: one can also Keyframe many other Effects, such as Blur, to create some amazing Title animations. It is not as quick as a one-button Preset, but suffers from no limitations.

Sorry that I did not pick up on the animation aspect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Need help with optimizing text appearance when exporting video
                  nealeh Level 5

ernestwara wrote:

The text in the MP4 file created by Wondershare looks great.)

When you load that MP4 into PRE do you get a red line running the length of your timeline? If you do then your project preset does not match the MP4 file, in which case analyse your MP4 file with Gspot and post a screen image of the result.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children