13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2011 1:09 PM by laughing_buddha

PE9 Disc Menu issues

laughing_buddha

I know others have made posts re: issues with disc menus, but I'm going to try to be as specific as possible because none of the threads have seemed to help.  I started using PE9 several months ago, and I have never been able to use the disc menus I want to.  The only ones I have been able to use are the ones with the HD designation in the upper right hand corner.  These menus are sparse and quite frankly, not very nice.  I have tried changing the settings of my projects to be non-HD, but it still does not allow me to use the menus I want.  Currently, I am trying to use the "Beach Resort" menu under the "travel" section.  I hit apply and nothing.  I click and drag and nothing.  Why is this?  I have downloaded from the website, I have installed from the CD.  Am I doing something wrong, or is it impossible to use the non-HD menus?  Any insight you could offer would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Are you creating a DVD, or a BD Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
            laughing_buddha Level 1

Thanks!

I'm making a DVD project.  The default settings for the project are HD, but I tried to change them thinking that would make a difference, but it didn't.

• 3. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are starting with HD material, in an HD Project, and the ultimate output is to be a DVD, I would suggest this workflow:

1. Edit the HD material in a matching HD Project.
              2. When done, Export/Share as a DV-AVI Widescreen 16:9.
              3. Import that resultant DV-AVI file into an SD DV Widescreen Project, and do all authoring there.
              4. For Menus, you will have the full compliment of SD Menu Sets available, limited only by whether you are doing Standard, or Widescreen. Note: from HD source material, you will be doing Widescreen.
              5. Burn to Disc

Hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For more PrE Menu Sets, if you have not checked out Muvipix.com, I recommend that you do. Steve Grisetti, and several others, have created Menu Sets, and they are available for sale (or free to subscribers) there. Lots of neat new Menu Sets, plus also plenty of stock Motion footage too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                  laughing_buddha Level 1

Great!  Thanks for the advice.  Will give it a try tonight.  And will check out the muvipix site, too!

• 6. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Please report back, when you have had a moment to try things out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                      laughing_buddha Level 1

No go with the export/import.  I exported the file to my hard drive (as an AVI) and then opened a new project as a DV widescreen project and imported the saved file from the hard drive.  Tried to apply the menu and it still won't let me.  Plus, since I have to make the project and then export it, when I imported it, it was all one "scene" and there was no way to apply scene markers.  Perhaps I didn't follow your advice properly?  I have previously uninstalled and reinstalled the entire program since I've seen that advice for other people, but it didn't work either.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong....

• 8. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's start with the Scene Markers. Play through the Timeline (that one DV-AVI Clip now), and where you wish to have a new Chapter, just add a Scene Marker. You do not need Cuts, or anything else, to apply the Scene Markers.

Once you have done that, try the Menu Set (Apply, with the chosen one selected).

At this point, I would not try with any Audio, or other Assets in the Menu Set, but just Preview, and then Burn to Folder, testing that in a DVD software player. If all goes well, then you can go back, and explore the Audio for the Menu Set.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                          Jay Sunkes

I am having the exact same problem. I am a plus member and can apply only plus content (some of it but not all). I have tried the ideas you suggested but with no luck. Basically I am unable to apply any of the standard disc menus on any video. I have also performed an uninstall and re-install of the content disc that came with PE9. I was wondering if this might be a PAL vs NTSC issue. I am in the USA and editing in NTSC but looking at the disc menu files almost all of them are in PAL format (720x576).

• 10. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jay,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not sure of all of the particulars of Photoshop.com and the Plus membership, but once you are logged into your account, can you download that Plus content to the HDD?

As for the NTSC vs PAL issue, because PrE does the authoring in a semi-automatic mode, I believe that it easily translates PAL to NTSC, when needed. Most, if not all, of the Menu Sets available on Muvipix, are designed for PAL, but their elements all fit within what would be the NTSC boundries. Also, just looking at my PrE DVD Templates, the vast majority are designed for PAL. Since PAL has more vertical pixels, the Menu Sets accommodate that, and some of those are just cropped off, in an NTSC Project.

Now, when you attempt to Apply one of the Library Menu Sets, what error message do you get?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                              Jay Sunkes Level 1

Yes, I can download the content to my HDD with no issues. I actually don't get an error message when trying to apply a disc menu, either by dragging and dropping or by clicking apply. The disc menu simply doesn't "apply". My cursor switches momentarily to indicate that PE9 is doing something but the disc menu does not get applied. I have menu markers set and have set them both manually and automatically.

• 12. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                                Jay Sunkes Level 1

Probably should have tried this first, but a full uninstall followed by a clean install fixed the problem. All disc menus are working with every video format and size I have tried.

Thanks

• 13. Re: PE9 Disc Menu issues
                                  laughing_buddha Level 1

Sorry, I have been crazy busy at work and haven't had a chance to sit down and try your suggestion until now.  It did not work.  I did as you said and went through and set scene menu markers and set a main menu marker, but it still won't allow me to apply the disc menu I want.  I really am super frustrated as this was supposed to be soemthing fun to do and it has turned into a major headache.  I don't even feel like working on it because I know I'm going to end up amazingly frustrated.  Any other suggestions??