9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 1:54 PM by JVRT

Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!

kmyers7 Level 1
      I had my computer crash this morning and have had to purchase a new one. I had just done a back up and have all my ebook files on a jump drive but now that I have redownloaded Adobe Digital Editions on my new computer it won’t let me open my ebooks.
      I have tried a number of different things to try to make it work. I authorized my computer using my Adobe ID and have tried it without authorizing and I get the same two messages.
      When I try to add my books to the library from my jump drive, I get the following message:
      Document is licensed for a different user account
      When I have tried redownloading my books from my ebooks account, I get the following message:
      Error getting license
      License server communication problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER
      I have tried a number of the solutions that I have found posted in these discussions.  I have uninstalled and resinstalled.  I have deleted from the Registry and nothing is working.  I have now spent at least 2 hours trying to solve this problem.  I tried to open a webcase or email Adobe but there is no way to do it that I have been able to find.  The only option for support with ADE is to call and I am not interested in spending the money to talk to someone.
        • 1. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I think it's the 'new computer' thing...  Don't have any experience fixing

this one, but it's not uncommon.  Have you searched the forum to see if

anyone else has posted a solution?

=============

• 2. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
            khadigagaafar Level 1

I almost have a similar problem, but my computer was stolen and I have tried all that kmyers7 did and the problem still exists. What can we do?

• 3. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
              Jim_Lester Level 4

You will need to make sure that you authorize the new computer with the same AdobeID as your old computer.  If you did not uahtorize your old computer (you did it anonymously), then you are out of luck, and your best bet will be to ask the place where you pruchased the content from for a new download (telling them that you are changing adobeid - from anonyous to named).

• 4. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
                khadigagaafar Level 1

That is very illuminating. No one told us to do that. There should be enough information for anyone downloading the adobe editions to safeguard the users from all these problems. I am sorry to say that I also did not authorize my stolen computer. It goes to reason that we all change our computers either they get stolen, or crash or just for an upgrade. These issues should be addressed for the users, not let us get as frustrated as Mr kmyers7 and I am now.

At any rate thank you for your help and information

• 5. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
                  Jim_Lester Level 4

Well if you did do the anonymous activation, then there were multiple warnings about the content being locked to the computer instead of to you.  Unfortunately most people tend to ignore those dialogs. 

• 6. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

My two cents: most people think that, if their devices (phones, tablets,

netbooks and computers) advertise that they can read ebooks on them, it's a

snap.  Just plug in the device, hook up to the site where the ebooks are and

download.  Then, they find out that there are a couple of steps in the

middle - which 'frustrates' them.

It's not that easy folks.  This is still an IT application, and requires

steps to be performed in a certain sequence by people who are paying

attention to what they are doing.  If they don't, then these people go off

the deep end, blaming everyone and everything except themselves - and often

using some pretty choice language.

I think it would be a really good idea to have even stronger 'warnings' in

place, including a stop in the process at the time of downloading the

software, to reinforce the point that there IS a process, and deviating from

it may cause the opposite result of that desired.  We're getting a lot of

similar posts to the blog that really would not be there if the folks doing

the posting had proceeded cautiously and followed the process.

soapbox mode off

=============

• 7. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
                      Scott Sanders Level 1

I realize that some book makers want to profit and current technology is buggy, but ultimately it needs to be as logical and easy, if not easier, than using real books, otherwise there is no point in it.

Somehow other media on demand, like video, as modern as they are in comparison, have comparatively fewer of these issues.

• 8. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
                        Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Scott, you're not alone.  Unfortunately, due to some very bad experiences

with music sharing, the "publications industry" set up the ground rules in

the late 1990's.  The rules they came up with have been in effect for ten

years now.  I for one don't think the implementation is that 'buggy' -

almost all of the technological issues we talk about here are a result of

either bad error messages ( for which Adobe must be held accountable) or bad

integration of one software program to another.  The core content - digital

rights management - has remained the same for a long time.

Amazon, B&N and others decided to streamline their approach to the

situation, and in the process, they created a very tight linkage between

certain hardware and their software.  Makes things simple, but limits the

users to that particular vendor for their ebook/epublication materials.

Adobe, Bluefire and Overdrive software service the non-captive community.

So, with different devices coming on the market every quarter, they have a

challenge keeping up.  As Yogi Berra said: "some you win, some you lose, and

some get rained out".

============

• 9. Re: Unable to read ebooks on new computer - INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
                          JVRT Level 1

Hi,

Have you tried Deauthorizing your ADE? If not, then launch ADE and Deauthorize by holding down the CTRL+SHIFT then press letter D. As soon as ADE is Deauthorized, try Authorizing it again using the same email. Works for me. Or try creating a new account in adobe.com and use it to authorize ADE. Hope this helps.

Regards.