8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 3:22 PM by Jon Chappell

annoying problem

davidtarrodi Level 1

I run premiere pro 5.5 on two computers.

Macbook Pro

2.8 GHz intel core 2 duo

4GB Ram

NVIDIA Geforce9400M

&

Mac Pro

2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

12GB Ram

2 x NVIDIA Geforce GT 120

In my world, premiere should run more fluidly on the Mac Pro. My experience so far is that the Macbook Pro does everything as I beleive it's supposed to. Playing back instantly, moving clips in the timeline and so on...

The strange problem with the Mac Pro is that it's a little bit slower. Playing back doesn't respond as quick but the most annoying part is moving clips in the timeline. It's really slow and jerky, not precise at all. Apart from this the application runs pretty much as usual. I even reinstalled the whole system on the Mac Pro to see if this would help.

Anyone has any clue what the problem might be?

• 1. Re: annoying problem
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The obvious thing is CUDA support - neither the 9400M nor the GT120 are approved for hardware acceleration, so have you 'hacked' the list of supported cards on either machine?

The GT120 is only a 512MB card (under the hood it's a 9500GT), and as it only has 36 CUDA cores you won't see a whole lot of difference hacking it (CS5.5 requires ~96 cores to gain full effect from CUDA).

Second question; what's your storage like? In most systems it's not the CPU that limits non-playback work, it's the speed of access to the hard drives - especially so if your video clips are large and relatively-easy for the CPU to uncompress (MOV is easier to decode, for example, than H.264). Most people doing professional video work have RAID systems or solid-state drives (often both) and will try to avoid any of the highly-compressed codecs like H.264 until the final export stage - once you have fast storage, a 40GB AVI or MOV can be a lot smoother to work with than a 4G MP4 of the same footage. Also remember that a mechanical HDD gets much slower once it's more than about 2/3 full, so the paper specs on your machine are not much of a guide to the actual read/write speeds.

Before altering anything, I'd suggest running the benchmark suite on both machines, then you know if anything you change is having a worthwhile effect.

• 2. Re: annoying problem
            davidtarrodi Level 1

Thanks for your quick answer.

I realize there are many things to consider when making a machine run as fast as possible.

The thing with my problem is that it is such a basic thing. Moving clips in a timeline has been done fluidly in video editing software for 10 years. How come it becomes a problem on my Mac Pro and not on my macbook pro?

It's really silly but extremely annoying.

I'm running premiere as a trial because of the apple rip off final cut pro x. I'm a final cut pro user since 6 years and try premiere for the first time. So far I really love it apart from the silly problem with the timeline (only on my Mac Pro). Just so I get it right, what you're saying is that my mac pro hasn't got the graphics to move clips fluidly in the timeline? I read a list of craphic cards  compatible with premiere and as you said Geforce GT120 nor geforce 9400m are on that list. Why am I not experiencing the same timeline thing on my macbook pro?

The solution should then be to buy a new graphic card aprox $400-$600?

Thanks again for your answer!

• 3. Re: annoying problem
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>The GT120 is only a 512MB card

I don't remember the exact number (896Meg?) but there is a minimum amount of ram for the hack to work... generally speaking, get a card with 1Gig

Other than that, This message has a really good graphic about requirements
              CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

• 4. Re: annoying problem
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What OS is on each?

• 5. Re: annoying problem
                  Averdahl Level 3

Mac Pro
                  2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                  12GB Ram
                  2 x NVIDIA Geforce GT 120

Anyone has any clue what the problem might be?

Try to remove one of the GeForce GT 120's. I have seen similar issues and it was solved by removing one of the graphic cards. Two graphic cards seems to confuse Premiere Pro and give the symtoms you describe.

Leave the one at the top and remove the card under it.

/Roger

• 6. Re: annoying problem
                    needles27 Level 3

There is a thread going here that has a ton of posts already about this problem.  Many MacPro users having this issue, and it doesn't seem to be related to the graphics card. (I upgraded to a MPE enabled card to no effect.). Search for Laggy GUI on this board and join us there. Should be a recent post there, so also try scrolling through the last few days. Hope we can find an answer.

• 7. Re: annoying problem
                      lasvideo Level 4

Im running  Mac Pro
                        Model Identifier:    MacPro3,1
                        Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                        Processor Speed:    3.2 GHz
                        Number Of Processors:    2
                        Total Number Of Cores:    8
                        L2 Cache (per processor):    12 MB
                        Memory:    8 GB

Chipset Model:    ATI Radeon HD 3870
                        Type:    GPU
                        Bus:    PCIe
                        Slot:    Slot-1
                        PCIe Lane Width:    x16
                        VRAM (Total):    512 MB

with an AJA Kona 3 card ( with newest drivers) and a Panasonic "engineering" monitor

and a Maxx Digital Evo 2  8 tb. raid array

I have experienced none of tha "lagginess" that some folks have discussed on this board.

• 8. Re: annoying problem
                        Jon Chappell Level 3

John T Smith wrote:

>The GT120 is only a 512MB card

I don't remember the exact number (896Meg?) but there is a minimum amount of ram for the hack to work... generally speaking, get a card with 1Gig

If I recall correctly, it's 768 MB.