6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 3:57 PM by Peter Spier

Page numbering from an Excel file

Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

I would like to use a list from a csv excel file for page numbering.

For example instead of having the pages numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6..... I want them to be labeled one, two, three, four, five six....

I have tried using a data merge from the master page but that doesn't work when I have pages already in the document.  For each page it produces multiple pages. If I have 100 numbers in my page number list - one to one hundred - then 100 pages are produce for each page in the document producing hundreds or thousands of spreads.

In short I don't have a clue what I'm doing, HELP.

• 1. Re: Page numbering from an Excel file
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Put placeholder frames on the master page where you want the numbers to appear. Thread the one on the left to the one on the right. Apply a style to the paragraph marker that includes a "Start in Next Frame" Keep Option so only one number will appear on each page, even if the frame is larger than necessary.

When the doc is FINISHED (no point in trying to number the pages this way while editing is still going on) Place the .csv file into the placholders by hovering over the frame area with the loaded Place Gun (the cursor should change to surrounded by parentheses), then hold down Shift + Alt (Opt on Mac) and click inside the frame area. Your list should autoflow to fill the frames on any existing pages, but not add any new ones. This will not work if you have pages with a different master interspersed, though.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Page numbering from an Excel file

P Spier wrote:

Put placeholder frames on the master page where you want the numbers to appear. Thread the one on the left to the one on the right. Apply a style to the paragraph marker that includes a "Start in Next Frame" Keep Option so only one number will appear on each page, even if the frame is larger than necessary.

How do I

Apply a style to the paragraph marker that includes a "Start in Next Frame" Keep Option ?

P Spier wrote:

Place the .csv file into the placholders by hovering over the frame area with the loaded Place Gun (the cursor should change to surrounded by parentheses), then hold down Shift + Alt (Opt on Mac) and click inside the frame area. Your list should autoflow to fill the frames on any existing pages, but not add any new ones. This will not work if you have pages with a different master interspersed, though.

I manage to get that to work it took me a lot of time to understand that one has to load the frame in the main pages and not the Master page.

I see one can only fill the frame if it is empty on the master frame. Is there a way that I can add symbles on the sides of the numbers so it looks something like the below example with out including the symbles in the excel file.

One

Two

Three

Four

• 3. Re: Page numbering from an Excel file

I managed to place each item into a different frame by doing a find and replace. Find paragraph mark, Replace frame break. I don't know if that's what do meant but it works.

If you didn't mean that then I'd be happy to hear what you meant.

I still haven't had any luck with getting the smilies in.

Is there a way of using find and replace to add things to the beginning and end of a Wild Card word?

• 4. Re: Page numbering from an Excel file

My apologies for not being clearer about documetn versus master pages earlier.

Keep options are a paragraph level attribute, and you can find them in the Paragraph Style definition dialog. Make a unique style for the numbering, and just inclede that keep option, along with any other formatting you want. You can the either put the cursor in the empty frame on the master page and apply the style (but don't type anything; and the cursor will move to the beginning of the first frame in the thread, no matter where you click) or create an object style that includes your paragraph style and apply it to the frames.

Symbols on both sides is a little tricky. You can put them in separate frames from the numbers, but then you'll have spacing issues as the length of your numbers varies. A better option might be to use Find/Change after placing the numbers.

I'd try putting the symbol on the clipboard (not certain this will work, but I think it will) then do a GREP find change for ^.+$ (which says find everything from the start to the end of a paragraph). Replace with ^c $0 ^c which is formatted contents of the clipboard, a regular spacebar space (you can change this to something else, or leave it out, if you like), the found text (in other words you're putting back what is already there), another space, and the clipboard again. Limit the search to the numbers story, or add the syle to the find formatting. You don't want to do this to anything but the numbers.

• 5. Re: Page numbering from an Excel file

Great got it all working.

The "Replace with ^c $0 ^c" didn't work 100% for some reason it put in a different symble but by doing Replace with Q $0 Q and the using a text find and replace Find Q Repalce with worked 100%.

Here's an example of formated text imported from the excel file.

ScreenShot036.jpg

• 6. Re: Page numbering from an Excel file

I'm really glad you got it sorted out. A fun Question, by the way -- not something I'd thought about doing before.