5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 6:26 AM by porge827 Branched from an earlier discussion.

CS5 print booklet 4-up

Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Is there a way of useing print booklet for printing 4 pages on a spread?

I have an A5 booklet that I want to print on A3 and then Cut the A3 to 4.

What is the best way of doing this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: CS5 print booklet 4-up
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've moved your topic into a new thread.

ID isn't set up for fancy impositions. If you mean you want two copies of the booklet on each page, so you print once, cut apart and have two books, you can't do that in ID in one step. To do that you need to print the booklet to file one-up, then place that file twice into a new document. You can print directly to PDF, if you have Acrobat Pro and the virtual PDF printer, in Windows, but the PDF printer is disabled in Snow Leopard, so it's a bit more complex there.

If you mean you want to print four differnt pages, the Consecutive imposition can put four pages on a sheet, but not imposed for stitched binding, so the answer is probably that Print Booklet, by itself, is not up to the task.

There are some relatively low cost (compared to full-blown programs used by professional printers) imposition plugins, like Quite Imposing for Acrobat, that you might want to investigate if you need to do this on a regular basis.

• 2. Re: CS5 print booklet 4-up
            Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Thanks

• 3. Re: CS5 print booklet 4-up
              porge827 Level 1

Peter, this is an old post but I was hoping you could help me out.  I am having a little trouble executing this.  When you say print to file, do you mean the post script printer?  Even when I do that and place the file in a new file it does not place correctly, it all places on one spot wherever I click and thats it.  I tried the pdf file and the regular indd file too.

If you could explain the steps here a little more I would greatley appreciate it.

Sincerely,

George

• 4. Re: CS5 print booklet 4-up
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Lets figure out the pattern that you are trying to achieve on your n-up sheet, becasue that will determine the preliminary steps. If you want just n copies of the same page you don't need Print Booklet at all, but if you want multiple copies of an imposed spread you do.

If you need Print Booklet, you need to print to Postscript file and distill (Mac Snow Leopard or later, and see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard) or print to the Adobe PDF Printer with Windows. If you don't need imposed spreads, you can work with the original .indd file.

Download Scott Zanelli's Multipage Placer script from InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files. If you don't know how to install a script, you can check How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets among other places.

When you run the script it's fairly self-explanatory, but it will ask you for a file name, and for how you want to position and scale the pages in your new document. Run it as many times as you need  to fill your page, or use step and repeat on each page to add additional copies (running the script will be faster, most of the time).

• 5. Re: CS5 print booklet 4-up
                  porge827 Level 1

This worked perfect.  Thanks Peter.