18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2011 3:44 AM by sperry1975 RSS

TWAIN Plugin

sperry1975 Community Member

I'm trying to use photoshop CS 5 or 5.5 to scan an image, but I'm discovering that apparently the TWAIN Plugin doesn't work.  I've downloaded the latest one on Adobe's site which is listed as being for CS 5 and I've tried installing it and/or placing the Plugin in the plugins > import/export folder just as the instructions on Adobe's site said but when I go to "file > import" there is no twain option at all.  I've tried using Photoshop CS5 and CS 5.5 in both 32 and 64 bit modes.  I've also tried restarting the computer and starting Photoshop again in both 32 and 64 bit mode, but with no success.  What did Adobe not include in the instructions that I'm missing?  Is there any possible way to even get TWAIN working in Photoshop as it's suppose to?

• 1. Re: TWAIN Plugin
          Mike Gondek2 MVP

On addition to twain, you may need a driver for your scanner.

http://www.twain.org/drivers.shtm

Best to post what model you have in the title next time, as someone else may spot your post better that has that model?

By not working I assume your scanner is not found, or let us know if you experiencing application quits.

• 2. Re: TWAIN Plugin
            Grant H Community Member
            but I'm discovering that apparently the TWAIN Plugin doesn't work

as youve discovered CS5 is not "installed standard" with twain anymore... (my english)

twain crap (32 bit and all)! goto this site:

http://www.hamrick.com

download VueScan... works wery well

G

Edit: make sure you download the 64 bit version...

• 3. Re: TWAIN Plugin

I forgot to mention that I did install the latest twain drivers etc. for the Epson GT-20000, though technically that doesn't answer my question as to why the TWAIN option is not listed in the File > Import list.  I think once I've figured out how to get the TWAIN Plugin to work then the rest will fall into place.

• 4. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                Grant H Community Member

if you stuck on using the twain plug in (presuming its installed correctly) you must start up Photoshop in 32 bit mode.

G

• 5. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

The plugin is not limited to 32 bit addressing -- but most scanner drivers are.  I've only seen a few drivers from Canon supporting 64 bit addressing.

• 6. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                    Grant H Community Member

i meant twain driver...

G

but most scanner drivers are.  I've only seen a few drivers from Canon supporting 64 bit addressing.

edit: thats also why i suggested the driver/s from hamrick

G

• 7. Re: TWAIN Plugin

Purhaps you missed this sentance from my first post:  "I've tried using Photoshop CS5 and CS 5.5 in both 32 and 64 bit modes."

It's NOT working in 32 bit or 64 bit mode and that is the issue I would like to resolve.

• 8. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                        Grant H Community Member
                        "I've tried using Photoshop CS5 and CS 5.5 in both 32 and 64 bit modes."It's NOT working in 32 bit or 64 bit mode

oops...

anyway why don't you try VueScan as I suggested.... it works well!

• 9. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

If you can't see your scanner in 32 or 64 bit mode - then something is missing.

You may not have the TWAIN plugin installed with Photoshop, or the scanner driver may not be installed.

But if both are installed, then it will show up in at least 32 bit mode (and 64 bit if it's a recent driver).

• 10. Re: TWAIN Plugin

I can garentee that there is a TWAIN driver installed in Photoshop and the latest drivers, including twain, have been installed for the scanner.  Though even if the scanner drivers were not installed I should still see a greyed out version of the TWAIN plugin under the "File > Import" options.  Therefore, once again, I'm not so worried about the scanner as I am about getting this TWAIN plugin working, no matter what scanner I may or may not use.

Here's where I go it from:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4904

• 11. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

OK,  if the scanner driver is working outside of Photoshop, then you need to double check the TWAIN plugin.

Is it in the Plug-Ins folder for the right version of Photoshop?  Is it uncompressed?  Does it show up in the Photoshop -> Help -> System Info list of installed plugins?

• 12. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                                Nini Tjäder Community Member

VueScan is not a free application.

• 14. Re: TWAIN Plugin

In Photoshop CS 5.5 under Photoshop -> Help -> System info it does show this in the installed plugin list:

Twain Acquire 12.0.2x20101112 [20101112.r.1198 2010/11/12:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]  �1992-20102010 Adobe Systems Incorporated - from the file “TWAIN.plugin”

At the end of that big list of installed plugins it also shows this: "Installed TWAIN devices: NONE"

In Photoshop CS 5 under Photoshop -> Help -> System info it does show this in the installed plugin list:

Twain Acquire 12.0.2x20101112 [20101112.r.1198 2010/11/12:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]  �1992-20102010 Adobe Systems Incorporated - from the file “TWAIN.plugin”

At the end of that big list it also shows this: "Installed TWAIN devices: NONE"

• 15. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                                    Chris Cox Adobe Employee

OK, so the TWAIN plugin is installed and working.

But there are no scanner drivers installed, or you are running in 64 bit and your scanner driver doesn't support 64 bit.

• 16. Re: TWAIN Plugin

Note this from the top line of Photoshop CS 5:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0.4 (12.0.4x20110407 [20110407.r.1265 2011/04/07:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x32

Then from the bottom line:

Installed TWAIN devices: NONE

Apparently Photoshop is not seeing it, even though it's there.  Also this still doesn't answer the question as to why I don't have a TWAIN option available, though greyed out, in the File > Import  options area.

• 17. Re: TWAIN Plugin
                                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

I explained the possibilities.

Now you need to get your scanner driver installed.

There is no TWAIN option in the menu because you have zero TWAIN drivers installed.

It doesn't show up as TWAIN, just with the name of the scanners installed.

• 18. Re: TWAIN Plugin

Thanks for the help.  I finally figured out the problem.  I had installed the TWAIN drivers already, but for some reason the install didn't work or wasn't successful in installing the TWAIN portion.  I discovered that when I decided to install the drivers again.  Now it does list the Epson GT-20000 in the list of TWAIN devices.  Strange that didn't work the first time or indicated that it didn't install successfully.