As a general rule, if things were working AND you haven't done anything to
the ADE software, we have to look at the layers above it to see if a change
has caused this condition. For example, your anti-virus may have had an
update. Part of that process is figuring out whether the sender has changed
something too. And all too often, they have, but haven't told you. It's
possible that their software is sending info to ADE that it can't process.
I'd suggest that you check with your library and see if anything changed on
Almost all of the time, though, you do not need to uninstall or reinstall
ADE. You might have to change a setting, depending on what's going on.
Thank you for responding
I noticed that it is only happening on my Windows 7 computer, my XP computer loads them fine. I checked the AntiVirus and Firewall and neither has an occurance where it blocked the websites or ADE from working. My next step is to go on Microsoft's website and see if there is something going on with Windows 7. We'll see what happens.
It's not much comfort, but you're not alone. Several messages posted to the
forum speak of users who can't download when they convert to W7.
I found the fix!!!
Go to My Documents, My Digital Editions and delete the Restore folder and it will work.
Thanks Frustrated in AZ for responding to my problem
Now charge up that tablet, get a cold drink, sit down and READ!!!!