4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 7:47 AM by Le Lion 07

Default name for a file

Le Lion 07 Level 1

Hello from France.

May I try to explain my problem ? Well, I'll do with my basic english ...

When a pic is ready to be recorded, PS use the default name (for a jpeg file, for instance) : "Sans titre - 1.jpg". Is it possible to have a name like : "Sans titre - 01.jpg"  or : "Sans titre - 001.jpg", I mean with "0" or "00" juste before the number.

Thank you for your answers.

(W7, PS CS5)

• 1. Re: Default name for a file
          arc fixer Level 3

Bon Jour,

In Bridge, Menu>Tools>Batch Rename (Ctrl+Shft+R).

FILENAMING PS.JPG

You can set several parameters.

Peace,

Lee

P.S. To get a space between the text and the number, I have to put a space at the the end of the text. (CS3)

• 2. Re: Default name for a file
            Le Lion 07 Level 1

Bonjour

Thank you for the fast answer, but I think it's not the problem. I don't want to rename file(s) wich were already recorded, but to change the default name given by PS. This default name has one digit ("1", "2", "3 ", ...) and I want 2 ou 3 digits.

Why ? Because I have a lot of slides to scan (with the excellent Nikon CoolScan V ED). So I use PS to scan them (as a twain source) and to modifie them when usefull. And when a slide is ready to be recorded, I would appreciate to have juste to do Ctrl+S, then Enter directly (PS keep the choice ".jpg") and finally Enter one more time for the name. Actually, I'm obliged to add the "0" for the slides 1 to 9.

I hope my problem is clearer now...

• 3. Re: Default name for a file
              arc fixer Level 3

Well, in that case.

I scan tons of slides with my Epson 4490 scanner. Ps is not involved in the process at all. The scanner software offers a naming function that works about like the rename in Bridge. You can set the number of 0's or whatever. I imagine your scanner software can do the same. I use Lightroom, but when I import the files are already properly named by the scanner software. Pretty much the same in Ps.

Peace,

Lee

• 4. Re: Default name for a file
                Le Lion 07 Level 1

"Ps is not involved in the process at all"

Of course it is... There is no way to change the default name in the scan, because there is no default name ; if using the scan as independant software, the options for the file name depends of the operating system (W7).

When I use the scan in Ps :

- I put the slide in the scan,

- I press Ctrl+Alt+"!" (a shortcut I created to replace Fichier > Importation > Nikon Scan)

- the software of Nikon Coolscan opens automatically,

- I "press" the button "Numériser" with the mouse,

- at the end of the process, the software of the scan closes,

- the pic is avalaible in Ps, with the defaut name : "Sans titre - x".

If I do the same thing with an other scan (for example, my Canon Pixma), the same happens, always with the same defaut name.

Well, it's not so important... I must just pay attention to change "Sans titre - 1" > "Sans titre - 01", etc.

Thank you for you help.