28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 11:44 AM by Chillax86 RSS

Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

zoon_unit Community Member

I am using Dreamweaver CS5 with Drupal 7.4.  The new version of Drupal fixes the old problem of Dreamweaver not being able to find related files, BUT ONE BIG BUG REMAINS.

Whenever one edits a CSS file and tries to save the saves, Dreamweaver crashes.  This behavior is consistent and has been happening since CS5 was released, both in Drupal 6 and 7.  This persistent bug basically makes Dreamweaver USELESS for editing Drupal files.

How in the world has this bug missed the numerous bug updates that Dreamweaver has released???  The whole reason I purchased Dreamweaver was to integrate with Drupal!!

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem??

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
          SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

zoon_unit wrote:

I am using Dreamweaver CS5 with Drupal 7.4.  The new version of Drupal fixes the old problem of Dreamweaver not being able to find related files, BUT ONE BIG BUG REMAINS.

Whenever one edits a CSS file and tries to save the saves, Dreamweaver crashes.  This behavior is consistent and has been happening since CS5 was released, both in Drupal 6 and 7.  This persistent bug basically makes Dreamweaver USELESS for editing Drupal files.

How in the world has this bug missed the numerous bug updates that Dreamweaver has released???  The whole reason I purchased Dreamweaver was to integrate with Drupal!!

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem??

Can we see the CSS file?

Is this happening with all CSS files related to Drupal?

Have you installed all the latest patches for CS5?

What OS are you running?

What testing server is involved?

Is the testing server on your local machine or elsewhere?

If you have extensions, besides the HTML5 one from Adobe as part of 11.0.3, can you disable them to ensure the are no conflicts?

Are you receiving an error during the crash? If so, from the OS or from DW? What is the error?

Your post gave us nothing about your situation other than to state you believe to have found a bug without any way for people to reproduce, test and see if it occurs again.  The more information you can provide the more likely we are to find a resolution to your problem.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

SnakEyez02, to answer your questions:

1) The crashing behavior happens with ALL Drupal 7 CSS files, so take your pick of files to test from any Drupal installation.

2) I have installed ALL the latest patches for Dreamweaver CS5.

3) I am running on Windows 7.

4) My testing server is an Apache server running under xampp on my local machine.

5) I have no other Dreamweaver extensions installed.

6) During the crash, I receive a Windows alert that Dreamweaver has crashed.

This behavior is certainly not unique to me.  In fact, many other Drupal developers have experienced this behavior.  Please refer to the following thread on Drupal.org:  http://drupal.org/node/1027606

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
              ukdesign1 Community Member

I can confirm the same thing happens with Wordpress development.

Currently I'm working on a wordpress site in live view and tried to edit css and it's crashed 15 times in alf an hour.... I'll have to edit the css file manually with no other files open, very inconvenient.

You'll then go for a while and it doesn't do it. Adobe have fixed the crashing when connected to a sftp server, a year after cs5 release but this bug is just being ignored, all they are interested in now is making more money out of cs5.5, a useless upgrade for those of us in business.

It annoys me how a company can get away with charging for such buggy software. It's like saying to an owner of a new car "yeh mate, we know the gearbox keeps jamming in your model but we're too busy working on the next model.... we'll let you know when it's out and you can buy another one to solve the problem"

Then when you buy another one, we'll introduce some more bugs because we tried to release it too quick and couldn;t be arsed to test it properly.

p.s. mac os x here, did it in snow leopard, does it in lion

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                webanub

Exact same issue here with Drupal 7 and DW CS5 - it crashes at the time of saving CSS  in the GUI while live view is on. If you are working in CSS code, it will save ok but will crash when live view refresh is attempted. The crash seems very reproducible. Frustrating. As if to add insult to injury, 30 secs or so after the crash, when you have probably restarted the program and are re-opening the files forced closed, DW crash report dialog box comes ->you hit ok->another dialog box saying thank you for reporting-> you have to hit ok again to get rid of it. This is so dumb esp. when you have 20 crashes in a row!

Sure hope Adobe is working on it.

BTW, I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                  mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

No Adobe isn't working on this particular problem and the main reason is

that you don't use DW to edit any CMS websites.  They all have their own

framework to create, edit and host the sites automatically.

If you guys didn't know this then clearly you need to spend some time to

familiarize with the CMS systems and how they work to get maximum

benefits from them.

DW is fantastic to create, edit and host static sites and even

Microsoft's Expression Web 4 can't compete with DW in this respect IMHO.

hth

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                    John Waller CommunityMVP

No Adobe isn't working on this particular problem and the main reason is

that you don't use DW to edit any CMS websites.  They all have their own

framework to create, edit and host the sites automatically.

Content, yes, you edit that within the CMS framework.

However, if you're creating custom CMS themes or editing CSS files to integrate CMS pages into an existing website (same look and feel) then you use Dreamweaver (or similar editing tools) outside the CMS framework.

http://drupal.org/node/18151

Modifying Drupal Themes with Dreamweaver CS5

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1590589

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                      webanub Community Member

Is this an official adobe reply or your OHO? Anyways, it sounds like you are advising to ignore a definitely buggy behavior in an otherwise superb piece of s/w, while calling people who report the issue...ignorant? And does Drupal let you edit CSS in its GUI and visualize the page like DW does? Not to my knowledge. Do share if there is a secret trick.

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

JTANNA how completely misinformed you are. It's you, not us who should take time to familiarise yourself on how CMS websites work.

CMS is content management system, a system designed to manage website content without accessing code. If you take a look at adobe's website you will see they promote dreamweaver as a tool to use with Wordpress CMS, Drupal etc and live view is one of the prominent features.

Intact you wouldn't need live view if building a static website as you can see what you get on every page, it isn't database driven like CMS.

We create complete custom themes for CMS systems, something the system itself cannot do. We basically create the templates and add pup to interact with the system. Live view shows us how everything looks when the content is pulled together.

I should also point out that a CMS system doesn't host a website, a hosting company does just like a static site, however with CMS MySQL servers are required and php support.

I hope this helps you understand, pease do not be so quick to tell pro's in future we do not know what we are doing.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

Just to remind everyone, I did have a live call from adobe and demonstrated the problem while on Skype screen sharing. They called me from the far east. Dreamweaver crashed in just 20 seconds. Then the annoying bug report windows popped up just when restarted.

I sent the complete site I was working on to adobe for investigation.

I haven't thoroughly tested yet but it is possible the latest apple update have resolved the problem , so I can only assume adobe have kissed with apple over some conflict.

Only time will tell as I also had the problem occasionally in snow leopard but much worst in lion.

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

Ps I reported originally via the bug report form quite a few times before it got noticed

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                              webanub Community Member

John Waller wrote:

Better than hoping is to report it via the official Bug Report form

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

http://bugs.adobe.com/confluence/display/ADOBE/Tips+for+writing+a+good +Bug+Report+and+Bug+Report+Standards

http://bugs.adobe.com/flashplayer/

If you have to submit a separate bug report, I wonder what is the purpose of the 'crash report' submitted after each crash.

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

And then when Adobe finally contact you after submitting about 200 crash reports and 50 bug reports… they ask for your crash logs

After my discussion with them (nice guy) they took my files and didn't even say thank you! I spent quite some time dealing with them and even more time lost on the crash problem.

Not forgetting i paid a high price for the product (like you al) in the first place…

I run my business slightly differently as I need to keep my clients! :-o

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                                  tcar4545

Same issue here.  Sent in my bug report.  Adobe please fix this!!!

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

After a long live discussion with Adobe, demonstrating the problem and many weeks of waiting…. the problem has finally been resolved for us.

We are using Wordpress CMS with Dreamweavers Live view, kept crashing.

Since the latest Lion OSX upgrade, all seems fine. All I can assume is that Adobe and Apple had some kind of conflict and have worked to resolve this.

The same may apply to Drupal, ensure you upgrade to 10.7.2

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                                      tcar4545 Community Member

ukdesign, thanks for the update, glad you've got things working. 

I am not as fortunate.  I'm running Lion OSX 7.2, and Dreamweaver CS5. While working on a Drupal site using liveview, I am getting constant crashes when editing any CSS document.

As I said before, I'm submitting bug and crash reports. 

Adobe please address this.

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

I will get to direct email address to the guy at adobe who I dealt with.is there a way of messaging you direct

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

Unfortunately, I use Windows 7 and still have the same issues with Drupal, even after several Dreamweaver updates by Adobe.  I KNOW this problem is fixable, because the Dreamweaver 5.5 demo works perfectly.

What is so frustrating is that Adobe apparently expects people to update and pay them an additional $400 (for a design premium upgrade) to fix bugs that exist in prior versions.  I simply refuse to do this because Adobe misrepresented the functionality of Dreamweaver 5.0 as working with Drupal.  I purchased based on that representation, and it has NEVER worked properly.

Does Adobe really think we're going to keep putting up with this kind of false advertising??  I've decided end my upgrade policy with Adobe because of these kinds of shenanigans.  I was willing to pay them $100+ for a Dreamweaver upgrade to 5.5 to fix this issue, but much to my SURPRISE, I was not able to upgrade Dreamweaver alone because it is part of a Suite.  So, to fix ONE SINGLE bug, they expect me to pay them $400.  Sorry, ain't gonna happen........

Remember your customers Adobe!

• 19. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                                            mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

Does Adobe really think we're going to keep putting up with this kind of false advertising??  I've decided end my upgrade policy with Adobe because of these kinds of shenanigans.  I was willing to pay them $100+ for a Dreamweaver upgrade to 5.5 to fix this issue, but much to my SURPRISE, I was not able to upgrade Dreamweaver alone because it is part of a Suite.  So, to fix ONE SINGLE bug, they expect me to pay them $400.  Sorry, ain't gonna happen........

Remember your customers Adobe!

If you want to continue using DW then you should stick with static websites.  To use dynamic websites and to design templates with DW, requires a lot of intelligence which judging by the sort of questions asked suggests this is not in abundance here.

I stand by what I said before: 

DW is fantastic to create and edit static sites and even

Microsoft's Expression Web 4 can't compete with DW in this respect IMHO.

Somebody said that you can create templates in DW for CMSs.  This is balderdash because template designers don't use any tools.  All they use is simple text editor.

So now one less customer for Adobe because he can't manage CMS sites in DW.  Good riddance.

hth

• 20. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

jtanna,

Wow.  Just wow.  You sure seem willing to criticize other people on this thread while simultaneously showing your complete ignorance of how Dreamweaver and CMS packages can interact.

Why not go back and read some of the Adobe literature and videos where Adobe touted Dreamweaver's "new" interactive abilities with Drupal and Wordpress before you claim that the rest of us are all morons.  Maybe then, you won't expose your own lack of knowledge.

I am a Drupal developer, Drupal user group founder, and know full well what Dreamweaver's abilities are claimed to be: the ability to use "live view" to view a data driven CMS within Dreamweaver's interface.  And in fact, if they would fix this crashing issue, the functionality would work quite well.  (as it does in Dreamweaver 5.5)

No Drupal developer is trying to write php templates in Dreamweaver.  We are trying to use its interactive live view to make CSS design changes on the fly, by clicking on the element, much like the Firebug utility allows.  (only Firebug can't write CSS changes back to the original files, while Dreamweaver, potentially can)  Live view, as advertised by Adobe would provide great functionality, if it only worked as advertised.

Perhaps you should watch this video see the Adobe promises many of us depended upon when making our purchasing decisions:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-dreamweaver-cs5/working-with-cms-frameworks/

• 21. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

JTANNA you nob

If someone chooses to use DW for cms websites it doesn't give you the right to slag off their ability as a developer just because you choose to use a text editor.

Infact I hand code php etc and use very little of Dreamweavers actual features. However I choose to use live view for ease of seeing my changes as I update css and templates. In conjunction with localhost it works very well.

Do you see me slagging off other peoples abilities just because you choose to use a text editor or cssedit, or another app?

No you don't.

So if someone CHOOSES to buy DW because they advertise compatibility with Wordpress or Drupal, then that product should work with those platforms as stated.

Just because you don't choose to use them doesn;t mean Adobe should get away without fixing bugs.

You're simple a speck of dust on a shelf which will soon be dusted.

• 22. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

zoon_unit well said

Jtanna is just one of those who strokes the cat the wrong way just to piss it off

It's a sad form of enjoyment, one day people like that realise how much they miss in life.

• 23. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

One wonders why that noob jtanna is "wasting" his time reading this thread at all, since he clearly has no interest or expertise in Dreamweaver live view as it applies to CMS's.

Just move along, nothing of interest here. . . . .

• 24. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal
                                                      Chillax86 Community Member

I am also having this problem with Dreamweaver CS5.  I have Windows 7 with XAMPP installed. I have configured my local server correctly and have set the address www.drupal.dev to point to my local XAMPP server folder that I have stored my Drupal 7 installation in. After setting up Drupal 7 successfully in a browser like chrome, I opened up Dreamweaver CS5 and defined my new Drupal 7 site. Once this was done I loaded up index.php, switched on live view and hey presto all was working well (or at least I thought). I then proceded to use the inspect button to select the webpage title and then I used the CSS styles panel to edit the CSS so I could change the font size. This worked ok at first using the Default Bartik theme supplied with Drupal 7. I then logged into the Drupal 7 site within live-view and tried the same thing but this time Dreamweaver CS5 crashed. I then tried this again and again and Dreamweaver kept crashing until I logged out of the Drupal 7 site within live-view and then it was ok again. I then set up a Zen sub-theme, tried the same thing, but this time Dreamweaver crashed on editing CSS whether I was logged into Drupal or not. This lead me to having a look at the differences between the code generate by these two Drupal themes and it looks like the Bartik theme does not include any links to JQuery scripts when logged out but when logged in, it includes quite a few. The Zen sub-theme includes JQuery script links whether logged in or not. This has firmly lead me to believe that the true reason for Dreamweaver crashing must be something to do with the JQuery script link tags. Maybe it is a problem with handling the queries at the end of the JQuery script tags, i'm not sure but what i do know is disabling javascript in live-view options does not stop the problem, i'm guessing problem with the live-view parser.

This problem has been resolved in CS5.5 and CS6. Please Adobe we know you have fixed it, please fix it for us. This is the first time I have bought your software and I shouldn't have to upgrade after a year or two, especially when on the back of the box to the CS5 Web Premium box it says 'Integrates with content management frameworks including Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal.' WHICH IT CLEARLY DOESN'T. Don't believe me try your self and check this out. http://drupal.org/node/1027606.

Remember Customers are always right and we say you should fix this because of what it says on the box, it is morally right to do so. Customer Calma :-)

• 25. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

WhenI used CS5 the issue I had a discussion on skype with Adobe to demonstrate. Around 3-4 weeks after Apple released an update to OSX which resolved it.

You are right, it does happen on some themes and not others, but if you are using CS5, ensure you are at least on Lion with all updates applied (including any java updates)

After this the crashes were only when Dreamweaver decided to completely freeze up every now and again (always when I hadn't saved!), however the regular crashing from css editing mostly stopped.

• 26. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

I am glad that they have fixed this issue for you as that means they obviously know what is causing it and know how to fix it. My problem is that I am a Windows 7 user and have no desire to switch to Mac. I feel that I have been cheated as I bought Adobe Creative Suite Web Premium CS5 to learn/create a career in Drupal 7 theming and development and Dreamweaver CS5 was the choice I made because of Adobe explicitly saying that Dreamweaver integrates with CMS frameworks. At the end of the day it does not do what it says on the tin.

I just hope some one at Adobe will be kind enough to fix this for us CS5/Windows 7 users :-(

• 28. Re: Dreamweaver crashes when saving CSS with Drupal

I already have done but I have had no reply as of yet or confirmation that this will be done :-(