5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 6:20 AM by Bill Gehrke

GPU Display Issue

Randomly when I am on my computer  the screen will freeze, then flash a couple times and an Nvidia error  pops up saying that there is an issue with the display. Then the system  will either restart or go to the blue screen of death or a number of  other horrible things. My system is brand new. I read online that it was  an issue with the GeForce GTX 460, so I unplugged it from my system and  just used the on board graphics card to start up and now my computer  has been running fine for hours.

Do you have any advice??

System Specs:

AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition 3.4 GHZ

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE Fermi 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5

MSI 880GM-P51  Motherboard

Samsun Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM Internal Drive

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GM 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 watt PSU

• 1. Re: GPU Display Issue
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you only have a one disk drive system?

Have you tried different (newer and older) drivers got the cars.  There is nothing unique to a GTX 460.  There are at least 28 sucessfull users of GTX 460's that have reported their results to the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5)

Maybe it is your power supply.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GPU Display Issue
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I agree will Bill here, your PSU is a very likely candidate to cause your problems. With only the CPU, video card, memory and single disk, but without fans, a burner or DVD player, without USB or FW devices, without anything that you left out, the minimum recommended wattage is already 510 W. Add other components that you did not mention and you easily need a 650W  or more PSU.

• 3. Re: GPU Display Issue
              Steezy46 Level 1

So I switched my EVGA 460 SE out with my roommates Gigabyte 460 and his card has worked fine in my system for a couple hours now.

At the same time, I put my card into his system and within 10 minutes the exact same problems I was having started happening to computer, his display starting going in and out and the screen was flashing and his system automatically restarted. He has essentailly the same build as me with a 600W PSU.

Could it be a faulty GPU?? Any other suggestions?

• 4. Re: GPU Display Issue
                Harm Millaard Level 7

It sure looks like it may be a problem with the video card or the PSU connectors to the video card.

• 5. Re: GPU Display Issue
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just checked and it looks like the GTX460 SE is a lower power GTX 460 (I could not find the exact specs) but it is a lower clock speed.