3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2011 5:44 PM by D Baron

Cannot Connect to Debugger - re-post

D Baron

Hi All,

Now that some of the Adobe engineers are back from their annual summer vacations, I'm hoping that someone can help me with this matter.  I originally posted this 8 days ago, however only 12 people even viewed the post, with no responses at all.

I have  recently been stung by the 'cannot connect to debugger' problem.   Everything was fine 2 days ago, as it had been for the past 8 months.  Then  yesterday I had a 'hard crash' while programming in FB 4 (standard  edition) on Win 7.  I literally was typing some code when the dev  environment 'stopped working'.  I eventually shut down the process and  such.  Upon re-opening FB, things were mostly fine - it even saved my  most recent keystrokes.  However...

Today, when I tried to  debug (on Firefox 3.6 with Flash 10.1) it would not work.  So, I  upgrated to 10.3, both the 'regular' and then the debugger versions of the  plug-ins.  I tried to debug (a simple, 'hello world' type application)  and it will not work.  I have shut-down FB, I have re-booted, I have  checked my Hosts file... nothing.  I even just upgraded to FireFox  5...same result - 'cannot connect to debugger'.

I  researched this for hours now.  I guess 'many' people have had the  'cannot connect to debugger' problem over the past few years.  I have  tried the 127.0.0.1 trick - still cannot connect.   I have confirmed  that the 'debugger version' is running inside Firefox because when I  right-click on the app (when not trying to debug) I *do* see the 'Show  Redraw Regions' option (which only shows up if running the debugger  version of the plug-in).

I am trying to avoid dozens of  wasted hours, re-installing, re-booting, knocking head against wall -  things that others have done over the years.  Does anyone have a magic,  voo-doo trick I can try to get this running again?  It was all fine 2  days ago!  I am not sure if the issue is related to the 'hard crash'  that FB had 2 days ago, but the timing is right, so it probably did.  I  just don't know what else to check... For a simple, 1 file application  ("hello world" with 1 line of AS code to serve as the breakpoint), it  should just work, and there is not much to configure, right?

Thanks in advance...

-David