3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 8:48 PM by Colin Brougham

Need to export in 1920 x 1080, Quicktime

Neodevilbane

Basically I have a project in 29.97 FPS, 1920 x 1080, and I just desperately need to export it to a Quicktime .MOV that'll come out to about... 4 gigs max (enough to throw on a DVD, but no bigger). Project is about 19 and a half minutes.

How do I do this in Premiere CS5? I've been doing all sorts of trial and error, and the only format/codec/aspect combo that works is QuickTime, Animation, and Square Pixels... but this just ends up yielding an ungodly huge file.

Help!

I've also installed some AVID codecs but this just makes matters more confusing. And is there any concern of compatibility if I used the AVID codecs? Meaning, this is for a film I have to turn in. If I do so, is there a chance the producers won't be able to recognize an AVID-codecced Quicktime movie?

• 1. Re: Need to export in 1920 x 1080, Quicktime
          Colin Brougham Level 6

And is there any concern of compatibility if I used the AVID codecs? Meaning, this is for a film I have to turn in. If I do so, is there a chance the producers won't be able to recognize an AVID-codecced Quicktime movie?

Since they're not installed with the standard QuickTime installation, there is that potential. The Avid codecs are free, but... you might want to make sure they're OK with that. Beyond that, I don't think you'll be able to get DNxHD down to less than 4GB for 19 minutes...

Basically I have a project in 29.97 FPS, 1920 x 1080, and I just desperately need to export it to a Quicktime .MOV that'll come out to about... 4 gigs max (enough to throw on a DVD, but no bigger). Project is about 19 and a half minutes.

If you need an MOV export, using H.264 as your codec is probably your best bet. Do you have any specific delivery requirements? Just saying "QuickTime" is pretty generic, and encompasses a lot of possibilities.

• 2. Re: Need to export in 1920 x 1080, Quicktime
            Neodevilbane Level 1

I think the last time I tried H.264 and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080, the filesize is still huge when I use Square Pixels for the aspect. When I use the other aspects available, the resolution becomes gonzo, skewed, or stretched. Is there other settings I should be mindful of within that to achieve the proper resolution and the desired size?

Message was edited by: Neodevilbane

• 3. Re: Need to export in 1920 x 1080, Quicktime
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, you're sort of up against the wall when it comes to a 1920x1080 image, and you've only got a final bitrate of about 25Mbps to work with; that's what it's going to take to get the file down to the size you need.

Basic formula: bit rate X duration of file = file size

So, working backwards, you want approx. 4GB file or a 4096MB file. Your duration is about 20 minutes. Divide the filesize by the duration, and you need about 205MB per minute (for both video and audio). Divide by 60 (seconds) to get about 3.4MB per second; multiple by 8 (megabits per second) to get somewhere in the vicinity of 27Mbps. With QuickTime, that's usually expressed as kilobits per second, so multiply by ~1000, or 27000kbps.

Whatever codec you use, you'll have to limit your bit rate to less than 27,000kbps, because you need to account for audio as well.