8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 9:01 AM by inertiahz

1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?

inertiahz

Hi, I have some footage which was shot at 1080i, the required output is going to be 720p.  The problem is that I would like to use some of the extra frame to reframe some of the shots and as there were two camera's used, the colour varies, so I will also need to fix that.

My initial plan was to cut the sequence in Premiere using a 1080i preset then DL the sequence from within After Effects using a 720p composition.  From here I can do the reframing and colour work.  However will this take care of deinterlacing? Or does anyone know of a better workflow to get the results I need?

Cheers

• 1. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

What are the frame rates of your shots? What frame rate do you want to post in?

• 2. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
            inertiahz Level 1

The frame rate was shot at 25fps/50i and I would ideally like to end up with 25fps (progressive).  Apologies if I've messed up the terminology there, hopefully you get what I mean

• 3. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
              inertiahz Level 1

Just to update this incase somebody else finds it useful, decided I would have to spend some time testing the best route before actually starting the project.

So the source footage was shot @ 1080 50i AVCHD (Cannon Legria HF21 and Panasonic HDC-HS700).  The desired outcome of the footage is web distribution, so mp4 @ 720p 25fps.

During editing I really wanted to re-frame some of the shots and also give some motion to some i.e. slow panning.  On top of that the two cameras used, always seem to give different colours in post - no matter how much you try to match the LCD display's during the actual shoot.

Ok so the problem I initally encountered was with jaggered edges when deinterlacing (can't afford any third pary plugin's at the moment).

So that's the background - I tried a couple of different routes, however the best way I have found is to edit the footage in Premiere using the default 1080i AVCHD preset, keeping the Cannon footage on video 1 and the Panasonic footage on video 2.  Once all the editing is done, duplicate the sequence and in one enable video 1 and in the other enable video 2.

Then jump into After Effects use dynamic link to open the the two sequences - here I open the interpret footage settings and make sure that the field order is set correctly and that 'Preserve Edges' is ticked.

I then created a new composition with 720p settings and put the the two Premiere sequences in it.  Then it is just a case of using keyframes to reframe the footage.  Also it allows for applying different colour correction to the footage shot on each camera.

I also found that this process decreases the jagged edges found going from interlace to progressive.

Hope that helps someone, or someone can tell me I am going the long way round

• 4. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

What was your workflow when you bumped into jaggered edges?

Did you try to build comps right in AE, letting it interpret your footages?

• 5. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
                  inertiahz Level 1

The first attempts were more trying to get everything deinterlaced and reframed in Premiere before sending to AE.  I think I may have been overly picky on the subject however if you take a look at the screenshots I've attached I guess you can make your own mind up.  The first image was from deinterlacing and reframing in Premiere then sent to AE where I just created a standard comp.  The second was sent to AE then using the interpret footage settings to preserve edge quality, then reframed in AE.

Like I say I think it will probably be a personal preference thing, I think I prefer the softer image version, I guess I was just wondering if anyone had another way about doing this.

method01.pngmethod02.png

• 6. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

I see. But what I mean.

I have plenty of shots taken in 1080i ...OK, almost all my shots are taken in 1080i...

But I never do anything with deinterlacing at all...

Apart from probably opting 'Progressive scan' while stabilising in proDAD Mercalli...

I just choose appropriate sequence preset that match footages format exactly and then, when I finish, simply export my next immortal creation to whatever format I like...

Again, what I meant when I was asking about AE.

Dynamic Link is a two way road. You may either replace your clips in ProPro timeline with AE comp or build your comp from scratch in AE (very handy when your AE project is going to be 'heavy' or you're in needs to spread your work between colleagues) and then import to PrPro. And when you are building AE composition from scratch, the very option 'Interpret footage' still exists. So I was just wondering if you tryed and were still unhappy with...

• 7. Re: 1080i to 720p via After Effects Best Practice?
                      inertiahz Level 1

I think in regards to AE and interpretting footage we are on the same lines, using DL to pull in a Premiere sequence is essentially the same as you say building an AE composition from scratch, which is essentially the best way I have found