5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 7:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Can only see first and last frame of clip in the timeline HELP PLEASE

legswilly Level 1

Hi, my first time and I did look for an answer, but can't find one. I have premiere elements 4 and I am trying out ver. 9. In ver. 4 the clips in the timelin shows all the frames, but in ver. 9 it only shows the first and last frame of the clips. Is there any way to make all the frames show. By "all the frames", I mean the clips fill with frames.I liked to see all the frames in the timeline, it is easier for me to select and trim the bits out.

My specs are Core 2 Duo 6750, Nvidia 8600GTS, 4G Ram, Vista Home Premium. 3 HDD 3TB.

Thank you for answering

Werner

• 1. Re: Can only see first and last frame of clip in the timeline HELP PLEASE
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Werner,

Welcome to the forum.

In the Video Track Header, there is an icon for the Clip Thumbnail Display. It is a cycle, and you can cycle through the Display Modes from First Frame, First & Last, All or None (File Name only). In PrE 4.0, it's at the far left in the Track Header. I assume that it's in about the same place in PrE 9.0.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can only see first and last frame of clip in the timeline HELP PLEASE
            legswilly Level 1

Thank you very much Bill. I don't know why I did not see this or tried to click on it. It is a little icon in the shape of a segment of a roll of film.

Werner

• 3. Re: Can only see first and last frame of clip in the timeline HELP PLEASE
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Werner,

That is the one.

I have never really liked the GUI, as I find that too much is a tad obscure, however Adobe has chosen to go with the dark gray on darker gray, and also on PrPro too.

Glad that you found it.

Happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can only see first and last frame of clip in the timeline HELP PLEASE
                legswilly Level 1

Yes never did like the dark GUI myself, but I found that out of all the simple video editors I liked the way PE works. All I really do with it is to edit my holiday movies and the stuff I record from TV. Edit out commercials etc, I know there are programs that do it automatically, but not as good as if you do it yourself. After all this, I am sticking with ver 4. It works. I wanted to edit AVCHD with vers.9, but it did not work, no picture only sound. After all this, with vers.9, I imported an AVI movie and while it was conforming, I clicked on play and there was sound. After it finished conforming, there was no sound when I played back. I wish Adobe would enable all the codecs in the trial version, just put a dirty great big watermark over it. This way at least it would be possible to get an idea of how it works. Apart from AVCHD editing, I wanted it a little faster. Will put together a new PC maybe in a month time and now planning for it.

• 5. Re: Can only see first and last frame of clip in the timeline HELP PLEASE
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the GUI, PrE had one more like PrPro (the early versions), up through PrE 3. With PrE 4, they streamlined the GUI (and some of the operation), and went with the "dark look." PrPro went in that direction starting with CS3, and now, the two programs' GUI looks more alike - darker. Personally, I like PrPro 2.0's brighter GUI. Now, one can alter the brightness, but the contrast can work against doing much of that - give me the lighter GUI....

The look of PrE 4 thru PrE 9 is very similar, though things have moved about some. Still the look is similar. Same for PrPro CS 3 through CS 5.5.

As for the trial, things have changed in PrPro, as of CS 5.5. Once, the PrPro trial was very crippled, but had no watermark. No more. No crippling, and still no watermark. The trial for PrE is far less crippled, but does have the watermark. We do not know what changes might be coming with the trial of PrE10. We will just have to wait and see. One great option that Adobe offers is the 30-day, money-back guarantee. If you buy Premiere (either flavor), and use it for 29 days, but do not like it, then you return it for your money back. This is the full-paid version (both flavors) with nothing crippled, and no watermark. Not that many companies make such an offer. Basically, on can use the trial for 30 days, to see some of the powers of the program, and then buy it, and try it fully for another 29 days. If not completely satisfied, they get their money back - essentially a 59 day trial.

Were I doing AVCHD, I would definitely look at buying PrE 9, and giving it a 29 day shakedown. The only caveat is that AVCHD requires a lot of computer "horsepower," and not all computers (especially if more than a year, or so old) are up to that task. I find it amazing that a consumer format, like AVCHD, requires more computer power to process, than most professional formats, until one gets up to, say RED 2K/4K. However, that is the nature of the H.264 CODEC, and by that, I mean all H.264, not just the AVCHD version.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt