9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 11:45 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Newbie Questions

wilderfan

Here are some really basic questions:

If you are using the Red Camera to shoot your project, how do you get the files stored on the camera's external SS drive into the PC for editing?

If I remove the drive from the camera, do I need to insert the drive into some sort of other device that is hooked up to my PC? I have heard that you need to use some sort of proprietary reader put out by the Red Camera folks.

What sort of port is normally used to transfer the data into the PC? Do you "feed" the data into the PC via FireWire, USB 3.0 or eSata ?

Thanks for any info !

• 1. Re: Newbie Questions
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you say PC, I presume you know how to use Windows Explorer to copy files and folders...?

I don't use a Red, but for my Canon Vixia AVCHD files I just connect via USB and use WinExplorer to copy the camera folder to hard drive

• 2. Re: Newbie Questions
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are these questions not covered in the documentation and training videos for your RED camera? I know that our RED came with a whole set of training materials.

• 3. Re: Newbie Questions
              wilderfan Level 1

I'm familiar with Windows Explorer and that's what I hope to use to transfer the files.

But not having transferred files from a Red Camera SS drive before, I'm a little confused about what I'll actually need in terms of connections to get the data from the SS drive into my PC.

I assume that I may need some sort of "reader" device to hold the SS drive once it is removed from the camera body.

And how that device would be connected to the PC, I'm not sure.  Again I assume that the cable from the "reader" to the PC would connect to an eSata port on the PC.

If anyone has any experience transferring data from the Red Camera's SS drive into a PC, I'd sure be interested in hearing from you.

• 4. Re: Newbie Questions
                wilderfan Level 1

Hi, Todd.

I don't actually have a Red Camera.  I'm in the midst of buying a new PC and I'm trying to make sure that it can be used in conjunction with Red Camera files sometime in the future.

Regards,

Robert

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:21:15 -0600

To: ringves@hotmail.com

Subject: Newbie Questions

Are these questions not covered in the documentation and training videos for your RED camera? I know that our RED came with a whole set of training materials.

>

• 5. Re: Newbie Questions
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>don't actually have a Red Camera

Go to the Red site and find out what kind of output connections the Red has

IF it has a USB connection, that is simple... albeit slow

• 6. Re: Newbie Questions
                    joe bloe premiere Level 5
                    ...how do you get the files stored on the camera's external SS drive into the PC for editing?

I always provide the shooter an FW800 external drive,

they dump the media from the camera to my drive and

deliver it back to me.

I keep several externals formatted and ready for this purpose.

The production companies I work with would never even consider

shipping me their camera just to read the media.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Newbie Questions
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd have to agree with Joe on this one.  Unless you actually own the RED, chances are you will never actually be dealing with the RED.  Someone else will be transferring the files for editing.

Having said that, the standard connections you'll want on a new PC are Firewire, USB 2.0 at least (and 3.0 if possible), and eSata.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Newbie Questions
                        wilderfan Level 1

So let me summarize what I think is the standard procedure:

Someone interested in editing will typically have an external hard drive available which will be taken to the set (or wherever the Red Camera happens to be).

The SS drive media will be removed from the Red Camera and placed into the proprietary "reader" manufactured by Red.

This reader will then be hooked up to the external hard drive belonging to the editor.

And the data will be transferred from the SS drive to the editor's external hard drive via some sort of cable (FireWire, eSata or USB).

If that is the correct methodology, then my only remaining questions are:

There must be some software that allows a user to identify the files to be transferred from the SS drive in the reader to the editor's external hard drive.  Is that right?   Not sure how this transfer would work without some sort of software built into the reader or the external hard drive.

Also, I assume both the SS drive reader and the external hard drive have AC adapter plugs for power.  Is that right?

• 9. Re: Newbie Questions
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

RED training, documentation, and support:

http://www.red.com/learn