24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 1:07 PM by NathanChilton

DNG Converter

dnglover

Hi,

Does the Adobe DNG converter convert back to a TIFF format ?

Essentially I am looking for an Adobe product that can batch convert DNG files with edits into the correct TIFF.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: DNG Converter
          Yammer Level 4

I think DNG Converter only converts to DNG.

If I wanted to convert a batch of raw files to TIFF, I'd select them in Bridge (making a Collection if they are scattered), open them in Camera Raw, Select All, then use the Save Images button at the bottom left. There is an option to save as TIFF with or without compression.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DNG Converter
            dnglover Level 1

Thanks Yammer.

Are there any Adobe command line tools like DNG Converter  that can do what you just mentioned ?  That is can I setup a droplet executables that can be run as a shell out command process?

• 3. Re: DNG Converter
              Yammer Level 4

Not as far as I know.

As I understand it, a droplet is a 'shell' method of running a Photoshop Action, and I doubt that you could record activity within a plug-in like Camera Raw.

What more knowledgeable people than me usually say in this situation is you need a 'script' to do what you want.

So, in the absence of a better answer, I'd suggest that your best bet is to learn to love Camera Raw hosted by Bridge. It's probably just as quick as drag and drop from your shell, once you get the knack.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DNG Converter
                deejjjaaaa Level 2

yes, we can (c)

to some extent of course.

Adobe DNG converter can generate embedded full size JPGs based on the setting that ACR/LR stored in DNG... so basically it acts as a free raw converter in this case :-), except you can't edit w/ it (actually you can fake ACR/LR edits manually - but that is another topic - may be illegal in USA ), but you can recreate prior edits (or whatever you put manually)... after having those embedded full size JPGs generated you can extract them w/ a number of tools... granted those are not 16bitt TIFFs but that might be a workaround for you...

• 5. Re: DNG Converter
                  dnglover Level 1

Thanks for that.

What would you recommend then for an automated workflow that encompasses the following :

1) We have an application that is our DAMs.

2) The DAMs software can shell out and run external processes.

3) Based on what you have said we have just shelled out and extracted the JPG which is cool via Adobe DNG Converter.

4) But what we are after now is to shell out and create a TIFF from the DNG.

Can an adobe droplet do this ? Because I understand now that Adobe DNG converter does not do this.  However from what I have read we could create a droplet.exe that could run to do this job.

Am i sane in thinking this ?

• 6. Re: DNG Converter
                    deejjjaaaa Level 2

> 4) But what we are after now is to shell out and create a TIFF from the DNG.

convert JPG to TIFF - a number of free tools will do just that (of course that TIFF will have JPG quality)

• 7. Re: DNG Converter
                      dnglover Level 1

Sorry I meant the DNG to TIFF.

• 8. Re: DNG Converter
                        deejjjaaaa Level 2

if you do not have ACR or LR, the only way to have ACR/LR edits (non Adobe tools can't interpret Adobe parametricedits) baked into TIFF images, is to use Adobe DNG converter to update embedded JPGs, extract JPGs from DNGs, convert JPGs to TIFFs...  no other way... even linear DNGs will have parametric edits stored the way Adobe works, so unlike the case w/ DxO you can't cheat by using Adobe DNG converter to bake in the edits into linear DNG "raw data".

• 9. Re: DNG Converter
                          dnglover Level 1

Aboslutely understand that.

Which was my question about droplets ... because theoretically you could create a droplet.exe that could take a DNG and extrapolate the TIF with the edits.  Or am completely off the mark ?

• 10. Re: DNG Converter
                            deejjjaaaa Level 2

you need to have some adobe code to do the work... so for example photoshop must be installed to have the necessary DLLs !

• 11. Re: DNG Converter
                              dnglover Level 1

OK cool.

We will purchase the required licensing if it works ... which judging by your response is a doable thing.

I wonder if there a partner network we could join to try to just only get the DLLs etc. to keep things light.

Also really appreciate your responses.

• 12. Re: DNG Converter
                                Level 4

dnglover wrote:

…wonder if there a partner network we could join to try to just only get the DLLs etc. to keep things light…

Irrespective of the feasibility of doing what you pretend, are you using the Adobe forums with a straight face to inquire about pirate networks in order to steal Adobe software?

• 13. Re: DNG Converter
                                  dnglover Level 1

Hi - I am not sure who you are but i am offended that you are accusing me of being a software pirate.

For you information we are already part of the Adobe developers network with one of the product lines and was genuinely wondering whether we could do something with this particualr dilemma with the DNG product group if that existed hence my curiosity of a specific partnership network.  Isn't this what the forum is about for learning and getting other people's opinions to further add value to Adobe.

Again I am very offended at your accusation.  Look at the top of the thread .... I mention buying licenses and Adobe products.

• 14. Re: DNG Converter
                                    Level 4

dnglover wrote:

…I am not sure who you are…

That's OK; I don't know who you are either. 

But that's irrelevant, I was commenting on the post, not on the poster.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了          (No connection to Adobe whatsoever.)

• 15. Re: DNG Converter
                                      Level 4

I have re-read post #11, and post #12 is consistent with the content of said post #11.

Nothing is directed at any poster, only at post #11.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 16. Re: DNG Converter
                                        dnglover Level 1

So - DEEJJJAAAA .... what Adobe products do we need to get this going ?

And are there Adobe Droplet DLL's just available for us to use as an SDK  for it ?.. (this is for the benefit of Wo Tai Lao Le the accuser of posts not posters or whatever the hell that means

We already use the In-design SDK  so is there an Adobe partner equivalent for the droplets etc. ?  (again for the benfit of non adobe guy Wo Tai Lao Le).

Thanks and appreciate your constructive responses.

• 17. Re: DNG Converter
                                          dnglover Level 1

So here's my dilemma and what we've tried:

We need to be able to convert a DNG to a TIFF, using the Image Settings (not Camera Raw Defaults, which seems to be what most batch converters we've tried do).

We can do it when converting to DNGs JPEGs, using the Adobe DNG converter. However (and correct me if I'm wrong), subsequently converting the JPEG to TIFF will be lossy.

We created a droplet, which simply opens the file in Photoshop, then saves it as a TIFF. This works in the command-line.

However, we want to be able to call the droplet from a .BAT file, which is shelled-out to from an Oracle database. This works for CS2 running on Windows XP. However, it fails for CS5 running on Windows Server 2008. The Application Event Log (in part) says: "faulting module Photoshop.exe, version 11.0.0.0, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00972fa7, process id 0xdc".

1. Does anybody know of a solution to getting the droplet to work in the above fashion?

2. Is there programmatic way to achieve what we want? Assuming we have all required DLLs, etc, can we just write a program (any language) to leverage existing modules to get our conversion done?

• 18. Re: DNG Converter
                                            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

If you are a developer, you can use the DNG SDK (free download from Adobe site) to write a utility to convert DNG to TIFF. This will not preserve any ACR / Lr edits, however. In other words, it will not "render" the images the way ACR / Lr would render them. To actually render the images, you will need to use an Adobe product (specifically, Camera Raw, Lightroom) which implements the Adobe photo processing engine.

• 19. Re: DNG Converter
                                              deejjjaaaa Level 2

why Adobe can't just also sell a simple "player" (executable) that can take DNG and produce a TIFF/JPG (I mean w/ the quality above what embedded JPG has, for example w/ the option to select 16bit, prophoto color space TIFFs) output based on the adjustment stored in DNG by ACR or LR... there is no threat, legal commercial companies will not be able to use it anyways and pirates can just use the regular Adobe software... no market harm here and most of the code is in place anyways in the form of Adobe DNG converter...

• 20. Re: DNG Converter
                                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you want a way to create TIFFs from those DNGs without using the Photoshop or Lightroom that you already have?  Or are you wanting to avoid purchasing Photoshop or Lightroom and get TIFFs out of others' DNGs?

It sounds like you want the Adobe RAW engine for free rather than having to pay for it.  What would Adobe do this?  Adobe isn't just selling their UI in Photoshop and Lightroom, they are also selling their RAW engine.

• 21. Re: DNG Converter
                                                  deejjjaaaa Level 2

>>> Do you want a way to create TIFFs from those DNGs without using the Photoshop or Lightroom that you already have?

<<< you know vmware ? there is a player there... for a reason

• 22. Re: DNG Converter
                                                    deejjjaaaa Level 2

>>> It sounds like you want the Adobe RAW engine

<<< raw engine w/o user interface as in LR/ACR is not a threat

• 23. Re: DNG Converter
                                                      deejjjaaaa Level 2

>>> Adobe isn't just selling their UI in Photoshop and Lightroom, they are also selling their RAW engine.

<<< people who actually buy ACR (PS that is) / LR to actually work w/ raw files (as opposed to just play some parameteric edits) are not interested or capable to use it w/o UI and there is enough legal obstacles for legal developers to just use it (being supplied inside of a monolith executabe file) and there is no sense for pirates to try to build some homegrown UI when they can just have ACR(PS)/LR itself... moreover that engine already ships for free (and fully capable to play all parametric edits, except it saves the result as JPG and not TIFF) inside Adobe DNG converter...

• 24. Re: DNG Converter
                                                        NathanChilton Level 1

dnglover wrote:

Hi,

Does the Adobe DNG converter convert back to a TIFF format ?

Essentially I am looking for an Adobe product that can batch convert DNG files with edits into the correct TIFF.

Many thanks.

Hello dnglover,

According to your original post, you are looking for an Adobe product that can batch convert DNG files to TIFF files, apparently with ACR/Lightroom edits applied.  Is this correct?

If so, why not just use Lightroom's export functionality to accomplish this?  I can easily import a directory of DNG files and export to TIFFs (which would have the ACR/Lightroom edits applied).

Does that not solve your problem?