3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 6:13 AM by teho59

"edit in original in AE"?  (CS5)

teho59 Level 1

Hi,

I have a sequence where I took one clip, right clicked and entered AE to edit at original. When finished closed AE and the clip was returned to PPro. In AE I did a tracking to remove some camera shake. Now this clip is stuttering when I run it in PPro.

What can I do to remove the stuttering?  Use a proxy or encoce the clip to a new footage and import that?

I have a footage from a Canon 7D 1280x960 (I think it was) at  60fps.  I have an I7-2600K, 16GB memory and an ASUS GTX275 graphics card where I have patched the file to use the Mercury engine.

Maybe I am on the limit of what the card can perform?

I am a newbie and trying to figure out how theese thing work together so I can created a smooth workflow when I start to edit more footage.

- Terje

• 1. Re: "edit in original in AE"?  (CS5)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm assuming you're using Dynamic Link--that is, you have an After Effects composition living as a clip in your Premiere Pro project. Dynamic Link can be a great timesaver, but it's not going to playback in real-time in most cases. This would be especially true with something like Warp Stabilizer, which is computationally intensive.

One option would be to render out the stabilized clip from After Effects, import it into Premiere Pro, and replace the AE comp in your sequence with it. Alternatively, you can force a render of the DL AE comp by marking it with the Work Area Bar and using Sequence > Render Entire Work Area. That will generate preview files as dictated by your sequence settings, and allow you to playback the stabilized clip in real-time.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "edit in original in AE"?  (CS5)
            teho59 Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

I'm assuming you're using Dynamic Link--that is, you have an After Effects composition living as a clip in your Premiere Pro project. Dynamic Link can be a great timesaver, but it's not going to playback in real-time in most cases. This would be especially true with something like Warp Stabilizer, which is computationally intensive.

One option would be to render out the stabilized clip from After Effects, import it into Premiere Pro, and replace the AE comp in your sequence with it. Alternatively, you can force a render of the DL AE comp by marking it with the Work Area Bar and using Sequence > Render Entire Work Area. That will generate preview files as dictated by your sequence settings, and allow you to playback the stabilized clip in real-time.

Thanks for a clear and understandable answer!

I will try it out.

- Terje

• 3. Re: "edit in original in AE"?  (CS5)
              Colin Brougham Level 6

You're welcome! Also, note that even though the Dynamic Linked AE comp may stutter when trying to play it back unrendered, when you export, the resulting video should be smooth. In light of that, if you know that the clip is stabilized the way you want in After Effects, you can skip the renders (in both AE and PPro) and just export as normal when the time comes.